9800 Pro and Far Cry

Hi all!

Just got my shiney new 9800 Pro, and thought I'd reinstall Far Cry.

I completed it when it came out on my old GF4 Ti4200 and the game was pretty
playable. So, new graphics card, thought I'd take a look with all the bells
and whistles on.

Set the details to what I had on my old card, plus tinkered with the
rendering etc, and it stutters around like a old dog.

Nothing else has changed in the pc, except the new 9800.

System config:

AMD XP 2400+ (clocked @ 11x205)
512Mb DDR 400
Soltek Nvidia Nforce2 M/Board
Windows XP Pro SP1.
9800 is using Omega Drivers 2.5.5.1.

Question is, everything else I have installed is running fine, beautiful in
fact. Is Far Cry having an issue with these drivers? I thought it might be
FSAA in Far Cry, turned that off, no different. The ATI control panel has
everything set to Application controlled.

Do I need to try a earlier revision of the drivers? or go back to the
standard Catalyst drivers?

I'm not really that bothered overall, cos the main games I play are running
fine, but I hate something not working properly, and have to tinker ;)

Cheers in advance.

Homer
15 answers Last reply
More about 9800

    Yeah, it's mainly the 512mb RAM. FarCry wants about 750mb all for
    itself! I've noticed that disabling Flocks (to "0") and disabling
    Corona's (to "0") in the FarCry Configuration settings (see Ubisoft in
    Start, Programs menu), allows "High"+ Environment to run smoother on
    indoor and outdoor levels without sacrificing all the extra foliage
    etc., - and you still get good corona effects anyway.

    make sure you uninstall the old nvidia drivers of course - and try the 4.4
    catalysts. i know many ppl swear by the Omegas but i swear at 'em - had
    nothing but trouble using them.

    "Sleepy" <nospamwanted@here.com> wrote in message
    > make sure you uninstall the old nvidia drivers of course - and try the 4.4
    > catalysts. i know many ppl swear by the Omegas but i swear at 'em - had
    > nothing but trouble using them.

    Well i had gotten rid of the nvidia drivers before i installed the new card.

    I've just put the 4.4 cats on, and its better, but not by much.

    Homer

    > Set the details to what I had on my old card, plus tinkered with the
    > rendering etc, and it stutters around like a old dog.
    >
    > 512Mb DDR 400

    This is most likely your problem. Put in another 512mb and it will play
    much better.

    On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 22:03:58 GMT, "evil Homer"
    <nobody@blueyonder_spam.com> wrote:

    >"Sleepy" <nospamwanted@here.com> wrote in message
    >> make sure you uninstall the old nvidia drivers of course - and try the 4.4
    >> catalysts. i know many ppl swear by the Omegas but i swear at 'em - had
    >> nothing but trouble using them.
    >>

    >Well i had gotten rid of the nvidia drivers before i installed the new card.
    >
    >I've just put the 4.4 cats on, and its better, but not by much.
    >
    >Homer

    Both Ati and NVidia have very poor driver uninstalls, eH: both still
    leave a lot of stuff on your system. As well uninstalling the old
    drivers, you also need to run a cleaner: Ati do their own cleaner,
    cat-uninstall.exe (comes included in the integrated driver packages).
    AIUI NVidia don't, but several are available in NVidia forums.

    Alternatively, you could use a general driver cleaner.

    Make sure you've got your chipset drivers installed and, for good
    measure, reinstall DX9.

    patrickp

    "evil Homer" <nobody@blueyonder_spam.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all!
    >
    > Just got my shiney new 9800 Pro, and thought I'd reinstall Far Cry.
    >
    > I completed it when it came out on my old GF4 Ti4200 and the game was
    pretty
    > playable. So, new graphics card, thought I'd take a look with all the
    bells
    > and whistles on.
    >
    > Set the details to what I had on my old card, plus tinkered with the
    > rendering etc, and it stutters around like a old dog.
    >
    > Nothing else has changed in the pc, except the new 9800.
    >
    > System config:
    >
    > AMD XP 2400+ (clocked @ 11x205)
    > 512Mb DDR 400
    > Soltek Nvidia Nforce2 M/Board
    > Windows XP Pro SP1.
    > 9800 is using Omega Drivers 2.5.5.1.

    I did exactly the same upgrade only I have AMD 2100+ and 1GB of mem. The
    game works pretty good here. Possibly like mentioned within the thread you
    need 1GB. I found a great difference at work and home when I pushed my
    system past 512MB, at work I was running GIS and at home the latest games.
    I'd say 1GB is a gotta have for any gamer.

    Good luck.

    RRT

    Its not always the case with ram, casue if you look at my specs, im not
    running fast ram, and i can play with full graphical settings and medium in
    game AA and 4X in game AF. i know i have an XT but the ram can still affect.

    So you may want to look around for more info to solve your problem.

    Good Luck!!!

    --
    Almeyda

    AMD2500XP @ 11X200 2.21Ghz > ASUS-A7N8X-E > Kingmax 2X256MB PC2700 Dual
    Channel > HIS Excalibur 9800XT 256mb @464/388 > 2x40GB Seagate HD > SB
    AudigyES >

    "ranger" <ranger@cyberback.com> wrote in message
    > Yeah, it's mainly the 512mb RAM. FarCry wants about 750mb all for
    > itself! I've noticed that disabling Flocks (to "0") and disabling
    > Corona's (to "0") in the FarCry Configuration settings (see Ubisoft in
    > Start, Programs menu), allows "High"+ Environment to run smoother on
    > indoor and outdoor levels without sacrificing all the extra foliage
    > etc., - and you still get good corona effects anyway.

    U need more memory. Far Cry is a memory intensive game.

    Almeyda wrote:
    > Its not always the case with ram, casue if you look at my specs, im not
    > running fast ram, and i can play with full graphical settings and medium in
    > game AA and 4X in game AF. i know i have an XT but the ram can still affect.
    >
    > So you may want to look around for more info to solve your problem.
    >
    > Good Luck!!!

    That seems to be mostly the problem. I played the game the first time
    around on my now aging Geforce 4 Ti4200 which in its time was a superb
    card. I still have the same amount of RAM, Windows was the same, ok the
    graphics details were set to medium, and it stuttered occasionally, but
    this more is like a slide show now. Even when i switch it to medium and
    play it at the same graphical level with the 9800pro, as i did with the
    GF4, the game is now unplayable.

    Homer

    "evil Homer" <grahamrlee8@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Almeyda wrote:
    > > Its not always the case with ram, casue if you look at my specs, im not
    > > running fast ram, and i can play with full graphical settings and medium
    in
    > > game AA and 4X in game AF. i know i have an XT but the ram can still
    affect.

    > > So you may want to look around for more info to solve your problem.
    > >
    > > Good Luck!!!
    > >

    > That seems to be mostly the problem. I played the game the first time
    > around on my now aging Geforce 4 Ti4200 which in its time was a superb
    > card. I still have the same amount of RAM, Windows was the same, ok the
    > graphics details were set to medium, and it stuttered occasionally, but
    > this more is like a slide show now. Even when i switch it to medium and
    > play it at the same graphical level with the 9800pro, as i did with the
    > GF4, the game is now unplayable.
    >
    > Homer

    Sorry I didn't see original post but was wondering if you completely
    eliminated every bit of your NVIDIA drivers before installing the drivers
    for the 9800pro. Not doing this has been known to cause performance and
    stability issues with many people. Also, do you have the latest (4.6)
    drivers from ATI? That 9800pro should really do much better than you're
    getting.

    KCB wrote:

    > "evil Homer" <grahamrlee8@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    >
    >>Almeyda wrote:
    >>
    >>>Its not always the case with ram, casue if you look at my specs, im not
    >>>running fast ram, and i can play with full graphical settings and medium
    >
    > in
    >
    >>>game AA and 4X in game AF. i know i have an XT but the ram can still
    >
    > affect.
    >
    >>>So you may want to look around for more info to solve your problem.
    >>>
    >>>Good Luck!!!
    >>>

    >>That seems to be mostly the problem. I played the game the first time
    >>around on my now aging Geforce 4 Ti4200 which in its time was a superb
    >>card. I still have the same amount of RAM, Windows was the same, ok the
    >>graphics details were set to medium, and it stuttered occasionally, but
    >>this more is like a slide show now. Even when i switch it to medium and
    >>play it at the same graphical level with the 9800pro, as i did with the
    >>GF4, the game is now unplayable.
    >>
    >>Homer
    >

    > Sorry I didn't see original post but was wondering if you completely
    > eliminated every bit of your NVIDIA drivers before installing the drivers
    > for the 9800pro. Not doing this has been known to cause performance and
    > stability issues with many people. Also, do you have the latest (4.6)
    > drivers from ATI? That 9800pro should really do much better than you're
    > getting.

    I think I have got the majority of the drivers. however, as my board is
    an nvidia nforce2, its not easy to completely remove all the nvidia
    drivers without causing other problems. and i've only just reinstalled
    windows about a month ago and don't want to do all that again

    Homer

    You should get Norton Ghost 2003 and make an image without drivers. Then
    when you want to reload windows just run that and it's all done
    automatically, at whatever re-install state you choose.

    Mike

    > KCB wrote:
    >
    > > "evil Homer" <grahamrlee8@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

    > > in

    > > affect.

    > >>That seems to be mostly the problem. I played the game the first time
    > >>around on my now aging Geforce 4 Ti4200 which in its time was a superb
    > >>card. I still have the same amount of RAM, Windows was the same, ok the
    > >>graphics details were set to medium, and it stuttered occasionally, but
    > >>this more is like a slide show now. Even when i switch it to medium and
    > >>play it at the same graphical level with the 9800pro, as i did with the
    > >>GF4, the game is now unplayable.
    > >>
    > >>Homer
    > >

    > > Sorry I didn't see original post but was wondering if you completely
    > > eliminated every bit of your NVIDIA drivers before installing the
    drivers
    > > for the 9800pro. Not doing this has been known to cause performance and
    > > stability issues with many people. Also, do you have the latest (4.6)
    > > drivers from ATI? That 9800pro should really do much better than you're
    > > getting.
    >
    > I think I have got the majority of the drivers. however, as my board is
    > an nvidia nforce2, its not easy to completely remove all the nvidia
    > drivers without causing other problems. and i've only just reinstalled
    > windows about a month ago and don't want to do all that again
    >
    > Homer

    On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 21:16:43 GMT, "evil Homer"
    <nobody@blueyonder_spam.com> wrote:

    >Hi all!
    >
    >Just got my shiney new 9800 Pro, and thought I'd reinstall Far Cry.

    Is it a TRUE 9800Pro with 256bit RAM?

    >I completed it when it came out on my old GF4 Ti4200 and the game was pretty
    >playable. So, new graphics card, thought I'd take a look with all the bells
    >and whistles on.
    >
    >Set the details to what I had on my old card, plus tinkered with the
    >rendering etc, and it stutters around like a old dog.
    >
    >Nothing else has changed in the pc, except the new 9800.
    >
    >System config:
    >
    >AMD XP 2400+ (clocked @ 11x205)
    >512Mb DDR 400
    >Soltek Nvidia Nforce2 M/Board
    >Windows XP Pro SP1.
    >9800 is using Omega Drivers 2.5.5.1.

    When I play Far Cry on my system, it runs very good in 1280x1024 AAx2
    on my AMD 2500 / ASUS Nforce2 board.
    Nothing overclocked. All setting are MAX, exect Shadows on HIGH.

    - - - - -
    Remember: In the USA - it is dangeroud to draw or write about Heir Bush in a negative way. The police or SS are called, people threaten to kill you. (What country is this again?)

    - Fahrenheit 9/11 - Unless you see it for yourself, don't call it "a bunch of lies"... that would be unAmerican.
    - White House blows cover of an undercover agent because her husband said there were no WMD (before the USA started the war) - her job was finding terrorist.
    God bless the land of the free. Where you can burn the Constitution... Ashcroft does it every day.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Hey Mike how do you make an image w/o drivers? Is Norton Ghost still tied to
    DOS?

    >You should get Norton Ghost 2003 and make an image without drivers. Then
    >when you want to reload windows just run that and it's all done
    >automatically, at whatever re-install state you choose.
    >
    >Mike

  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Ghost 2002 is but 2003 will run in windows. By "without drivers" I meant
    with the native XP drivers, which lack 3d accelleration and are a good point
    to install the drivers of your choice. It's a pain to use them for long
    though, even scrolling is shitty.

    Mike

    "Wblane" <wblane@aol.combotizer> wrote in message
    > Hey Mike how do you make an image w/o drivers? Is Norton Ghost still tied
    > DOS?
    >
    > >You should get Norton Ghost 2003 and make an image without drivers. Then
    > >when you want to reload windows just run that and it's all done
    > >automatically, at whatever re-install state you choose.
    > >
    > >Mike
    >

    > -Bill (remove "botizer" to reply via email)

Radeon Graphics