Cannot see shares across home network

February 3, 2005 10:27:03 PM

1. The Landscape:

Destop computer:
- Harware: Asus Motherboard with Athlon XP processor, 1GB of RAM, 60GB Hard
Disk
- Operating System: Window XP Home Edition.
- Connected to Linksys WIFI router through Ethernet

Laptop computer:

- Harware: Dell Inspiron 8500, P4 2.5MHz, 1GB RAM, 60GB Hard Drive
- Operating System: Windows XP Home edition.
- Connected to Linksys WIFI router via built-in WIFI card (WEP encryption
enabled)

Linksys WIFI router is connected to cable modem for Internet access. DHCP
enabled.

2. The Problem:

Prior to installing Service Pack 2:

- Both computers obtained an IP address from the router through DHCP
- Both computers were in the same workgroup
- File sharing was enabled on both computers
- Internet Connection Sharing was OFF on both computers
- NetBios (under Advanced TCP/IP settings) was enabled on both computers.
- Shares (full rights) were setup on each computer and were visible from the
other
- Printers were shared from the Desktop and visible/usable from the laptop.
- Both computers acces the internet via the router

I always wait a few months before installing major updates, which allows me
to monitor reviews and establish the potential risks I am susceptible to
encounter during installation. In early December 2004, after what was mostly
favorable comments, I proceded with the installation of SP2

After Service Pack 2

- Both computers obtain an IP address from the router through DHCP
- Both computers are in the same workgroup
- File sharing is enabled on both computers
- Internet Connection Sharing is OFF on both computers
- NetBios (under Advanced TCP/IP settings) is enabled on both computers.
- Windows Firewall is turned OFF on both computers (btw, when you run the
Network Setup Wizard, it turns it back on)
- Both computers access the internet via the router
- Computer Browser service is Started in both computers (as per Knowledge
Base article : 318030
- Shares (full rights) were setup on each computer

BUT:

- Cannot access the shares from either computer. Error message is:

" XXXXX is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network
resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have
access permission. The network path was not found. "

I have tried the Network Setup Wizard, manual configuration, perused dozens
of Tech-related forums and communities.The problem seems fairly common and is
well documented, but what is missing is... a solution.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

More about : shares home network

February 4, 2005 1:05:03 AM

Duf,

Hi! I am having same problem with my new laptop ... did you get any reply?
If yes, can you pls forward the answer to me?

Thanks!
Stephen

"Duf" wrote:

> 1. The Landscape:
>
> Destop computer:
> - Harware: Asus Motherboard with Athlon XP processor, 1GB of RAM, 60GB Hard
> Disk
> - Operating System: Window XP Home Edition.
> - Connected to Linksys WIFI router through Ethernet
>
> Laptop computer:
>
> - Harware: Dell Inspiron 8500, P4 2.5MHz, 1GB RAM, 60GB Hard Drive
> - Operating System: Windows XP Home edition.
> - Connected to Linksys WIFI router via built-in WIFI card (WEP encryption
> enabled)
>
> Linksys WIFI router is connected to cable modem for Internet access. DHCP
> enabled.
>
> 2. The Problem:
>
> Prior to installing Service Pack 2:
>
> - Both computers obtained an IP address from the router through DHCP
> - Both computers were in the same workgroup
> - File sharing was enabled on both computers
> - Internet Connection Sharing was OFF on both computers
> - NetBios (under Advanced TCP/IP settings) was enabled on both computers.
> - Shares (full rights) were setup on each computer and were visible from the
> other
> - Printers were shared from the Desktop and visible/usable from the laptop.
> - Both computers acces the internet via the router
>
> I always wait a few months before installing major updates, which allows me
> to monitor reviews and establish the potential risks I am susceptible to
> encounter during installation. In early December 2004, after what was mostly
> favorable comments, I proceded with the installation of SP2
>
> After Service Pack 2
>
> - Both computers obtain an IP address from the router through DHCP
> - Both computers are in the same workgroup
> - File sharing is enabled on both computers
> - Internet Connection Sharing is OFF on both computers
> - NetBios (under Advanced TCP/IP settings) is enabled on both computers.
> - Windows Firewall is turned OFF on both computers (btw, when you run the
> Network Setup Wizard, it turns it back on)
> - Both computers access the internet via the router
> - Computer Browser service is Started in both computers (as per Knowledge
> Base article : 318030
> - Shares (full rights) were setup on each computer
>
> BUT:
>
> - Cannot access the shares from either computer. Error message is:
>
> " XXXXX is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network
> resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have
> access permission. The network path was not found. "
>

> I have tried the Network Setup Wizard, manual configuration, perused dozens
> of Tech-related forums and communities.The problem seems fairly common and is
> well documented, but what is missing is... a solution.
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.

February 4, 2005 5:19:03 PM

Hi: I faced this issue few times with my home network (1 laptop and 3
desktops connected thru LinkSys 4-Port CABLE/DSL Router, getting IPs etc
from DHCP) and the only way I got them access the shares is by setting up
the same user accounts (same userid, password) in all the computers in the
networks. I think since there is no domain controller / active directory
present to authenticate user access, you'll have to do it this way.
s.r.

"Stephen" <Stephen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> - Both computers access the internet via the router
>> - Computer Browser service is Started in both computers (as per Knowledge
>> Base article : 318030
>> - Shares (full rights) were setup on each computer
>>
>> BUT:
>>
>> - Cannot access the shares from either computer. Error message is:
>>
>> " XXXXX is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
>> network
>> resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you
>> have
>> access permission. The network path was not found. "
>>

>> I have tried the Network Setup Wizard, manual configuration, perused
>> dozens
>> of Tech-related forums and communities.The problem seems fairly common
>> and is
>> well documented, but what is missing is... a solution.

February 4, 2005 5:19:04 PM

Thank you for your response.

Unfortunately, the user accounts (and pw) are already the same. Yet I am
still faced with this issue.

"Sharif R." wrote:

> [...]
> >> - Both computers access the internet via the router
> >> - Computer Browser service is Started in both computers (as per Knowledge
> >> Base article : 318030
> >> - Shares (full rights) were setup on each computer
> >>
> >> BUT:
> >>
> >> - Cannot access the shares from either computer. Error message is:
> >>
> >> " XXXXX is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
> >> network
> >> resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you
> >> have
> >> access permission. The network path was not found. "
> >>

> >> I have tried the Network Setup Wizard, manual configuration, perused
> >> dozens
> >> of Tech-related forums and communities.The problem seems fairly common
> >> and is
> >> well documented, but what is missing is... a solution.

February 4, 2005 10:22:51 PM

Sharif R. wrote:
> Hi: I faced this issue few times with my home network (1 laptop and 3
> desktops connected thru LinkSys 4-Port CABLE/DSL Router, getting IPs etc
> from DHCP) and the only way I got them access the shares is by setting up
> the same user accounts (same userid, password) in all the computers in the
> networks.

Quite correct - in a peer-to-peer network the security data is held on
each machine locally rather than on a central domain server, so each
machine needs to know who is authorised to access it.

--
Registered Linux User no 240308
Just waiting for Broadband to complete the conversion!(3 weeks and

Thank you for your response.

Unfortunately, the user accounts (and pw) are already the same. Yet I am
still faced with this issue.

Dud

!