Online activity -- what is it?

I don't know how to Google or where to ask this
question, so here it is:

I believe my XP while connected on dial-up is
active on line for some purpose unknown to me.

One consequence is that the computer will not
disconnect itself when not in use -- as I think
it should be able to do (?).

Is there a log to look at or some way to monitor
this activity?

Thanks.

Mason C

Thanks for all the information and tips, Shenan.

Is there somewhere a LOG of internet connection
activity? Is there a way to create such a log?

Browsers keep a history of links but how about
other connection activity?

Mason C