What registry key(s) can I change to disable panning?

I'm installing WinXP 64-bit Edition on a dual AMD Opteron with an AIW
9600XT. Both of the 21" CRTs that are attached to the card are capable of
2048x1536 resolution at 70hz refresh rate. I know that they are capable of
this because I've been running them at that resolution for the past year.

Both monitors are connected via BNC cables so DDC information is not a
factor in this problem. During install both monitors are identified as
"default monitor" or "Plug and Play Monitor." Immediately after install I
manually select both monitors as Iiyama A201HTs, (which are in fact
speced for max res of 2048x1536,) and then disable the OS selected
Default/PNP monitors. Then I install the ATI driver and control
panel, afterwards the only monitors listed anywhere (device manager,
display properties, etc.) are the Iiyamas, no references anywhere to a
default or PNP monitor.

Here's the problem: I can "set" a resolution of 2048 x 1536 for the
secondary display, but the driver actually programs the hardware for the
secondary display to 1600x1200. That 16x12 window is then panned around
the 20x15 *virtual* desktop of the secondary display. I hate panning, and
find it terribly annoying. The primary display does in fact actually get
programmed to 2048x1536.

I've run a number of ATI cards over the years, and normally I would be
able to easily solve this problem. Usually I would be able to simply go to
the "Displays" tab on the "Advanced" page of the ATI control
panel, and select the correct "Maximum Resolution" and "Maximum
Refresh" for monitor two. Unfortunately that does not work in this case.
Selecting *any* different "Maximum Resolution" or "Maximum Refresh" for
either monitor, results in an error being generated, (remember this is
a beta 64 bit version). At that point the "send error report" dialog pops
up, and then the control panel/display properties utility is
unceremoniously terminated by the OS without the new settings being saved.

I'm guessing that the Maximum Resolution setting for each display is
stored somewhere in the registry, but so far I've been unable to determine
where.

Like I said, I really hate panning, and it's pretty frustrating to get
this close to having the video subsystem setup exactly the way I want, but
not being able to resolve this last small problem. If anyone is familiar
with the location of relevant registry keys/values, or has a possible
solution I'd appreciate any help you could offer.

TIA
Bob Young
San Jose CA.
6 answers Last reply
More about what registry change disable panning

    A slight guess, and it probably is not correct so don't
    waste a lot of time on this. I've found that if you want
    dual display, that has got to be set up the first time
    you install the video card. It cannot be set up after
    the video card is installed and one display selected ..
    and then later a 2nd display is added. For me that
    always resulted in something weird with the 2nd display
    and especially, some of the 2nd display options were
    missing from the display control panel. They simply
    never got installed as a result of my first setup. And
    I've only been able to correct that using an uninstall
    program from the card maker ... especially Matrox.
    Maybe this is also true of ATI ??

    johns

    On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 13:18:56 -0700, johns wrote:

    > A slight guess, and it probably is not correct so don't
    > waste a lot of time on this. I've found that if you want
    > dual display, that has got to be set up the first time
    > you install the video card.

    I already have two displays, they both work, and they both worked out of
    the box, the AIW 9600 has two completely independent outputs.

    My only problem is that there is no way (via the ATI control panel) to
    actually set the second display to any resolution above 1600x1200. Thus I
    was hoping for a registry key(s) pointer so that I can manually accomplish
    what the ATI control panel crashes at attempting.

    Regards,
    Bob Young
    San Jose CA.

    On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 10:39:37 -0700, Bob Young <BYoung@127.0.0.1.Com>
    wrote:

    >I'm installing WinXP 64-bit Edition on a dual AMD Opteron with an AIW
    >9600XT. Both of the 21" CRTs that are attached to the card are capable of
    >2048x1536 resolution at 70hz refresh rate. I know that they are capable of
    >this because I've been running them at that resolution for the past year.
    >
    >Both monitors are connected via BNC cables so DDC information is not a
    >factor in this problem. During install both monitors are identified as
    >"default monitor" or "Plug and Play Monitor." Immediately after install I
    >manually select both monitors as Iiyama A201HTs, (which are in fact
    >speced for max res of 2048x1536,) and then disable the OS selected
    >Default/PNP monitors. Then I install the ATI driver and control
    >panel, afterwards the only monitors listed anywhere (device manager,
    >display properties, etc.) are the Iiyamas, no references anywhere to a
    >default or PNP monitor.
    >
    >Here's the problem: I can "set" a resolution of 2048 x 1536 for the
    >secondary display, but the driver actually programs the hardware for the
    >secondary display to 1600x1200. That 16x12 window is then panned around
    >the 20x15 *virtual* desktop of the secondary display. I hate panning, and
    >find it terribly annoying. The primary display does in fact actually get
    >programmed to 2048x1536.
    >
    >I've run a number of ATI cards over the years, and normally I would be
    >able to easily solve this problem. Usually I would be able to simply go to
    >the "Displays" tab on the "Advanced" page of the ATI control
    >panel, and select the correct "Maximum Resolution" and "Maximum
    >Refresh" for monitor two. Unfortunately that does not work in this case.
    >Selecting *any* different "Maximum Resolution" or "Maximum Refresh" for
    >either monitor, results in an error being generated, (remember this is
    >a beta 64 bit version). At that point the "send error report" dialog pops
    >up, and then the control panel/display properties utility is
    >unceremoniously terminated by the OS without the new settings being saved.
    >
    >I'm guessing that the Maximum Resolution setting for each display is
    >stored somewhere in the registry, but so far I've been unable to determine
    >where.
    >
    >Like I said, I really hate panning, and it's pretty frustrating to get
    >this close to having the video subsystem setup exactly the way I want, but
    >not being able to resolve this last small problem. If anyone is familiar
    >with the location of relevant registry keys/values, or has a possible
    >solution I'd appreciate any help you could offer.
    >
    >TIA
    >Bob Young
    >San Jose CA.

    See here,
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309569&Product=win2000,
    Bob. I've found the information here to be useful setting the refresh
    rates for a monitor using a normal monitor cable; but it still may be
    useful for you. HTH

    patrickp

    On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 22:48:26 +0100, patrickp wrote:

    > On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 10:39:37 -0700, Bob Young <BYoung@127.0.0.1.Com>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Like I said, I really hate panning, and it's pretty frustrating to get
    >>this close to having the video subsystem setup exactly the way I want, but
    >>not being able to resolve this last small problem. If anyone is familiar
    >>with the location of relevant registry keys/values, or has a possible
    >>solution I'd appreciate any help you could offer.
    >>
    >>TIA
    >>Bob Young
    >>San Jose CA.
    >

    > See here,
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309569&Product=win2000,
    > Bob. I've found the information here to be useful setting the refresh
    > rates for a monitor using a normal monitor cable; but it still may be
    > useful for you. HTH
    >
    > patrickp

    Thanks Patrick, but that doesn't help, I was already aware of that
    information, I use to write NT/2K video drivers for a living.

    This is definitely an ATI specific issue because both displays are set to
    2048x1536 in the settings tab of Display Properties. Unfortunately I never
    wrote for ATI. Thanks for trying though.

    --
    Regards,
    Bob Young

    "Bob Young" <BYoung@127.0.0.1.Com> schreef in bericht

    > I'm guessing that the Maximum Resolution setting for each display is
    > stored somewhere in the registry, but so far I've been unable to determine
    > where.
    >
    > Like I said, I really hate panning, and it's pretty frustrating to get
    > this close to having the video subsystem setup exactly the way I want, but
    > not being able to resolve this last small problem. If anyone is familiar
    > with the location of relevant registry keys/values, or has a possible
    > solution I'd appreciate any help you could offer.

    Hi Bob,

    Have you looked in the subkeys of
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video?
    One of these keys, for example, contains a binary value named: "DALR6
    CRT1024x768x0x70", which are the max specs I entered in the "Displays tab".
    I don't know if information about a secondary display is also located
    somewhere there, because I only use one monitor :-)

    Good luck!

    Johan

    On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 23:15:18 +0200, Johan wrote:

    > "Bob Young" <BYoung@127.0.0.1.Com> schreef in bericht

    > Hi Bob,
    >
    > Have you looked in the subkeys of
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video?
    > One of these keys, for example, contains a binary value named: "DALR6
    > CRT1024x768x0x70", which are the max specs I entered in the "Displays tab".
    > I don't know if information about a secondary display is also located
    > somewhere there, because I only use one monitor :-)
    >
    > Good luck!
    >
    > Johan

    Thanks Johan, that seemed promising at first, I found values named:

    DALR6 CRT_MaxModeInfo and DALR6 CRT2_MaxModeInfo

    In: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{ 32 digits}\0000

    Since CRT1 behaves the way I want (no panning), I thought that modifying
    CRT2 to match CRT1 might solve my problem. Unfortunately after a
    reboot, the CRT2 values had returned to the original numbers. I even
    modified the corresponding values in ControlSet1 and ControlSet2, the
    modifications just would not stick across a reboot.

    I guess I'm just going to have to wait for ATI to fix their 64 bit control
    panel. Thanks for your help.

    --
    Regards,
    Bob Young