Lock Out a User in Win XP home?

Running WindowsXP Home SP2 NTFS. Our daughter's computer is in her room.
She is now grounded from her computer for a week. She is a restricted user.
Is there not a way to lock her out? Temporarily disable her account? The
lock feature of XP (non domain) is generally useless. Yes, it can lock a
user's desktop, but I want to lock the PC where only an admin user can unlock
it. No, I do not want to delete the account and probably lose all it's
settings even after recreating using the same name.

Why can't any other account be turned off like the guest account can be
turned on and off?

For now, I've changed her password, but this seems to be a not-so-good
solution to a problem that has to come up often this day in age when
practically every kid has a PC in their room.

Furthermore, Microsoft should implement an allowed schedule of hours for
restricted users that can be managed by an admin user ... like found in
domain configurations, but at the PC level ... i.e. at 8:00 pm, she is
forcibly logged off and not allowed back on until 6:00 pm.

Thanks in advance
6 answers Last reply
More about lock user home

    R Keck wrote:
    > Running WindowsXP Home SP2 NTFS. Our daughter's computer is in her room.
    > She is now grounded from her computer for a week. She is a restricted user.
    > Is there not a way to lock her out? Temporarily disable her account? The
    > lock feature of XP (non domain) is generally useless. Yes, it can lock a
    > user's desktop, but I want to lock the PC where only an admin user can unlock
    > it. No, I do not want to delete the account and probably lose all it's
    > settings even after recreating using the same name.
    >
    > Why can't any other account be turned off like the guest account can be
    > turned on and off?
    >
    > For now, I've changed her password, but this seems to be a not-so-good
    > solution to a problem that has to come up often this day in age when
    > practically every kid has a PC in their room.
    >
    > Furthermore, Microsoft should implement an allowed schedule of hours for
    > restricted users that can be managed by an admin user ... like found in
    > domain configurations, but at the PC level ... i.e. at 8:00 pm, she is
    > forcibly logged off and not allowed back on until 6:00 pm.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    Why not simply turn the computer off and take the power cord away?

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    R Keck wrote:
    > Running WindowsXP Home SP2 NTFS. Our daughter's computer is in her
    > room. She is now grounded from her computer for a week. She is a
    > restricted user. Is there not a way to lock her out? Temporarily
    > disable her account? The lock feature of XP (non domain) is
    > generally useless. Yes, it can lock a user's desktop, but I want to
    > lock the PC where only an admin user can unlock it. No, I do not
    > want to delete the account and probably lose all it's settings even
    > after recreating using the same name.
    >
    > Why can't any other account be turned off like the guest account can
    > be turned on and off?
    >
    > For now, I've changed her password, but this seems to be a not-so-good
    > solution to a problem that has to come up often this day in age when
    > practically every kid has a PC in their room.
    >
    > Furthermore, Microsoft should implement an allowed schedule of hours
    > for restricted users that can be managed by an admin user ... like
    > found in domain configurations, but at the PC level ... i.e. at 8:00
    > pm, she is forcibly logged off and not allowed back on until 6:00 pm.

    You can restrict when they can log in.
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_restrict_users.htm
    and
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/default.asp?url=/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/net_user.asp

    CyberPatrol might help:
    http://www.cyberpatrol.com/

    Access Boss may help:
    http://www.accessboss.com/

    Having Windows XP Home edition, you have less "administrative options" than
    Windows XP Professional Edition.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    ENUFF 6.0 - Restrict internet access to specific times
    http://www.pcw.co.uk/downloads/1134037

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "R Keck" wrote:

    | Running WindowsXP Home SP2 NTFS. Our daughter's computer is in her room.
    | She is now grounded from her computer for a week. She is a restricted user.
    | Is there not a way to lock her out? Temporarily disable her account? The
    | lock feature of XP (non domain) is generally useless. Yes, it can lock a
    | user's desktop, but I want to lock the PC where only an admin user can unlock
    | it. No, I do not want to delete the account and probably lose all it's
    | settings even after recreating using the same name.
    |
    | Why can't any other account be turned off like the guest account can be
    | turned on and off?
    |
    | For now, I've changed her password, but this seems to be a not-so-good
    | solution to a problem that has to come up often this day in age when
    | practically every kid has a PC in their room.
    |
    | Furthermore, Microsoft should implement an allowed schedule of hours for
    | restricted users that can be managed by an admin user ... like found in
    | domain configurations, but at the PC level ... i.e. at 8:00 pm, she is
    | forcibly logged off and not allowed back on until 6:00 pm.
    |
    | Thanks in advance

    Well, removing the power cord was considered, but the way the box is
    situated, it's a big hassle to get it unpluggged, then plugged back in.

    R Keck wrote:
    > Running WindowsXP Home SP2 NTFS. Our daughter's computer is in her
    > room. She is now grounded from her computer for a week. She is a
    > restricted user. Is there not a way to lock her out? Temporarily
    > disable her account? The lock feature of XP (non domain) is
    > generally useless. Yes, it can lock a user's desktop, but I want to
    > lock the PC where only an admin user can unlock it. No, I do not
    > want to delete the account and probably lose all it's settings even
    > after recreating using the same name.
    >
    > Why can't any other account be turned off like the guest account can
    > be turned on and off?

    Just curious...why do you think that disabling her account would be easier
    than changing her password? If you aren't running a domain, you still have
    to physically go to her computer & do something on it anyway.

    > For now, I've changed her password, but this seems to be a not-so-good
    > solution to a problem

    Why not? Is this not working?

    > ...that has to come up often this day in age when
    > practically every kid has a PC in their room.

    OT, but I personally think that's crazy. I wouldn't want a kid to have a
    computer & broadband in their room, nor a TV, nor a dedicated phone line.
    Kids/adolescents have plenty of other reasons to hole up in their rooms
    anyway, scowling, and listening to the latest CD of Angry Misunderstood
    Teenager Music. It's a rite of passage, but it doesn't need to be assisted
    by providing a lot of toys in there! Just my $.02 - and no, I don't have
    teenage kids, so take it for what it's worth. :)

    > Furthermore, Microsoft should implement an allowed schedule of hours
    > for restricted users that can be managed by an admin user ... like
    > found in domain configurations, but at the PC level ... i.e. at 8:00
    > pm, she is forcibly logged off and not allowed back on until 6:00 pm.

    Some of the other replies list third party options that may help you. Note
    that a smart kid will nearly always find a way to bypass whatever their
    parents attempt to implement. Without decent "physical security", little
    else is surefire.

    > Thanks in advance

    FYI - with the availability of "today's" hacking tools, there is nothing
    short of removing the PC and boxing it up until the "grounded" time is over
    that is going to stop her - the first rule of security - physical access -
    if you can't remove physical access, all other options are automatically
    compromised.
    You could always do what I did with my son a few years back - I opened
    the case, removed the CPU and memory, boxed it up and it stayed in my safe
    for 30 days.

    --
    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
    "Google is your Friend!"

    "R Keck" <RKeck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Running WindowsXP Home SP2 NTFS. Our daughter's computer is in her room.
    > She is now grounded from her computer for a week. She is a restricted
    user.
    > Is there not a way to lock her out? Temporarily disable her account? The
    > lock feature of XP (non domain) is generally useless. Yes, it can lock a
    > user's desktop, but I want to lock the PC where only an admin user can
    unlock
    > it. No, I do not want to delete the account and probably lose all it's
    > settings even after recreating using the same name.
    >
    > Why can't any other account be turned off like the guest account can be
    > turned on and off?
    >
    > For now, I've changed her password, but this seems to be a not-so-good
    > solution to a problem that has to come up often this day in age when
    > practically every kid has a PC in their room.
    >
    > Furthermore, Microsoft should implement an allowed schedule of hours for
    > restricted users that can be managed by an admin user ... like found in
    > domain configurations, but at the PC level ... i.e. at 8:00 pm, she is
    > forcibly logged off and not allowed back on until 6:00 pm.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

Windows XP