Windows Installer Launches after logon

After logon on with a limited user account, and launching any program,
Windows Installer comes in and says that it is installing HP Image Zone.
After 5 seconds, Installer ends. Everything else works fine from this point
on until I logoff and logon later. After I logon, the same thing happens
again.

After logon with an administrator user account, this doesn't happen.
everything is normal.

HP Image Zone cannot be launched. It came installed when I bought the
computer, but I had a problem Launching this program since I upgraded to
SP2.

This is an annoying problem. I don't really use HP Image Zone, but why does
Windows keep trying to install it? How can I stop this from happening?

--
Charles

Charles Dixon
c.f.dixon@worldnet.att.net
3 answers Last reply
More about windows installer launches logon

    What did HP have to say about this?

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "Charles Dixon" <c.f.dixon@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > After logon on with a limited user account, and launching any program,
    > Windows Installer comes in and says that it is installing HP Image Zone.
    > After 5 seconds, Installer ends. Everything else works fine from this
    > point on until I logoff and logon later. After I logon, the same thing
    > happens again.
    >
    > After logon with an administrator user account, this doesn't happen.
    > everything is normal.
    >
    > HP Image Zone cannot be launched. It came installed when I bought the
    > computer, but I had a problem Launching this program since I upgraded to
    > SP2.
    >
    > This is an annoying problem. I don't really use HP Image Zone, but why
    > does Windows keep trying to install it? How can I stop this from
    > happening?
    >
    > --
    > Charles
    >
    > Charles Dixon
    > c.f.dixon@worldnet.att.net

    How to resolve Common "Windows Installer" Problems
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555175&Product=winxp

    Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301

    Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll down to
    Item No. 94 (Windows Installer Fix).

    [Courtesy of Kelly Theriot, MS-MVP]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Charles Dixon" wrote:

    | After logon on with a limited user account, and launching any program,
    | Windows Installer comes in and says that it is installing HP Image Zone.
    | After 5 seconds, Installer ends. Everything else works fine from this point
    | on until I logoff and logon later. After I logon, the same thing happens
    | again.
    |
    | After logon with an administrator user account, this doesn't happen.
    | everything is normal.
    |
    | HP Image Zone cannot be launched. It came installed when I bought the
    | computer, but I had a problem Launching this program since I upgraded to
    | SP2.
    |
    | This is an annoying problem. I don't really use HP Image Zone, but why does
    | Windows keep trying to install it? How can I stop this from happening?
    |
    | --
    | Charles
    |
    | Charles Dixon

    Charles,
    Nothing short of removing all the "HP" software related to the "printer"
    is going to stop it. I did some research (I have an HP PSC 2510 Photosmart
    Network Printer), and the "installation" is initiated by the driver files
    needed to properly use the printer. Had I known this before I purchased it,
    I'd bought another brand. You also need to make sure it doesn't contact HP,
    it periodically (when it is checking for updates) sends valuable marking
    information about how you use the PC, the Printer, etc back to HP. After
    reviewing the EULA when installing the software, it indeed states it does
    these things - even if you turn off Auto Update, it still will "phone home"
    once a week (I use Zone Alarm Pro to block it), but I still think it be
    unfair practices - to use a piece of hardware, you have to install "spy
    software" to make it work.

    --
    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
    "Google is your Friend!"

    "Charles Dixon" <c.f.dixon@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > After logon on with a limited user account, and launching any program,
    > Windows Installer comes in and says that it is installing HP Image Zone.
    > After 5 seconds, Installer ends. Everything else works fine from this
    point
    > on until I logoff and logon later. After I logon, the same thing happens
    > again.
    >
    > After logon with an administrator user account, this doesn't happen.
    > everything is normal.
    >
    > HP Image Zone cannot be launched. It came installed when I bought the
    > computer, but I had a problem Launching this program since I upgraded to
    > SP2.
    >
    > This is an annoying problem. I don't really use HP Image Zone, but why
    does
    > Windows keep trying to install it? How can I stop this from happening?
    >
    > --
    > Charles
    >
    > Charles Dixon
    > c.f.dixon@worldnet.att.net

Windows Installer Hewlett Packard Windows XP