Lates Bios for webcam?

I am using a Logitech QuickCam Express with my PB 9505 iXtreme with Win XP
Pro. I upgraded my bios last year to the version for XP as it was Win
Millenium that was on the PC when I bought it. I say "using", but the cam
used to work with my PC when I was using Millenium and my Millenium to Win
XP PRo upgrade, but since formatin the drive and re-installng XP clean, the
cam's software doesn't recognise the cam at all. It works with Window's
Messenger, so I know th cam is alright, but it won't work with any of the
software which came on the CD with it. The software is pretty nice stuff and
I'd like to use it, but can't as I keep getting a message saying the Cam is
in use by another program. It's not though, as I backed up my drive and then
took off everything, Service Pack 2, the previous Window's updates, and
eventually EVERY single program I had except the webcam's software....'it
still wouldn't work. I give up! Incidentally, I tried the cam on my Son's
Gateway PC and as soon as I stuck it into the USB port, up it came! It even
runs the Logitech software no probs! Why won't this software work on my new
installation of XP on my PB machine? If anyone knows, please advise as I am
ready to crack up with it all.
Thanks in advance!
Eos.

"Eos" <FreeSoft@(SkipTheBrackets)Tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>I am using a Logitech QuickCam Express with my PB 9505 iXtreme with
>Win XP Pro. I upgraded my bios last year to the version for XP as it
>was Win Millenium that was on the PC when I bought it. I say "using",
>but the cam used to work with my PC when I was using Millenium and my
>Millenium to Win XP PRo upgrade, but since formatin the drive and
>re-installng XP clean, the cam's software doesn't recognise the cam
>at all. It works with Window's Messenger, so I know th cam is
>alright, but it won't work with any of the software which came on the
>CD with it. The software is pretty nice stuff and I'd like to use it,
>but can't as I keep getting a message saying the Cam is in use by
>another program. It's not though, as I backed up my drive and then
>took off everything, Service Pack 2, the previous Window's updates,
>and eventually EVERY single program I had except the webcam's
>software....'it still wouldn't work. I give up! Incidentally, I tried
>the cam on my Son's Gateway PC and as soon as I stuck it into the USB
>port, up it came! It even runs the Logitech software no probs! Why
>won't this software work on my new installation of XP on my PB
>machine? If anyone knows, please advise as I am ready to crack up
>with it all.
> Thanks in advance!
> Eos.

Try http://www.logitech.com then click support for the version of the
camera your using. it sounds like a Windows XP problem which can be
addressed at the Windows News Groups or try the Windows Knowledgebase
at http://www.microsoft.com

Sorry I could not assist further

Elector

"Elector" <elector@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> "Eos" <FreeSoft@(SkipTheBrackets)Tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>>I am using a Logitech QuickCam Express with my PB 9505 iXtreme with Win XP
>>Pro. I upgraded my bios last year to the version for XP as it was Win
>>Millenium that was on the PC when I bought it. I say "using", but the cam
>>used to work with my PC when I was using Millenium and my Millenium to Win
>>XP PRo upgrade, but since formatin the drive and re-installng XP clean,
>>the cam's software doesn't recognise the cam at all. It works with
>>Window's Messenger, so I know th cam is alright, but it won't work with
>>any of the software which came on the CD with it. The software is pretty
>>nice stuff and I'd like to use it, but can't as I keep getting a message
>>saying the Cam is in use by another program. It's not though, as I backed
>>up my drive and then took off everything, Service Pack 2, the previous
>>Window's updates, and eventually EVERY single program I had except the
>>webcam's software....'it still wouldn't work. I give up! Incidentally, I
>>tried the cam on my Son's Gateway PC and as soon as I stuck it into the
>>USB port, up it came! It even runs the Logitech software no probs! Why
>>won't this software work on my new installation of XP on my PB machine? If
>>anyone knows, please advise as I am ready to crack up with it all.
>> Thanks in advance!
>> Eos.
>>

> Try http://www.logitech.com then click support for the version of the
> camera your using. it sounds like a Windows XP problem which can be
> addressed at the Windows News Groups or try the Windows Knowledgebase at
> http://www.microsoft.com
>
> Sorry I could not assist further
>
> Elector

Thanks for you reply. The MS Knowledge Base has nothing I could find of any
relevance, so I contacted Logitech. Their response? "Re-Install Windows".
Well, I already did that, but it seems they weren't paying enough attention
to me when I told them about the problem initially. This is so weird.
Eos.

"Eos" <FreeSoft@(SkipTheBrackets)Tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
<snip>

> Thanks for you reply. The MS Knowledge Base has nothing I could find
> of any relevance, so I contacted Logitech. Their response?
> "Re-Install Windows". Well, I already did that, but it seems they
> weren't paying enough attention to me when I told them about the
> problem initially. This is so weird.
> Eos.

I would expect them to at least read what your wrote. However in the
Logitech Web Site there is a newer version of the software available
for Windows XP users. Simply unplug the Web camera (First) then delete
the web cams older software and then install the newer downloaded
version for your web camera.

Then when it states to plug in the camera, do it. It should be found
and work correctly.

Elector

Right, the problem is caused by software, or lack thereof. A BIOS update will
do nothing to fix the problem... Ben Myers

> "Eos" <FreeSoft@(SkipTheBrackets)Tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> <snip>
>>
>> Thanks for you reply. The MS Knowledge Base has nothing I could find of
>> any relevance, so I contacted Logitech. Their response? "Re-Install
>> Windows". Well, I already did that, but it seems they weren't paying
>> enough attention to me when I told them about the problem initially. This
>> is so weird.
>> Eos.
>>
> I would expect them to at least read what your wrote. However in the
> Logitech Web Site there is a newer version of the software available for
> Windows XP users. Simply unplug the Web camera (First) then delete the web
> cams older software and then install the newer downloaded version for your
> web camera.
>
> Then when it states to plug in the camera, do it. It should be found and
> work correctly.
>
> Elector

Thanks for the advice. I got the newer version of the software as you
suggested, uninstalled all the older version and the driver for the webcam.
I then installed the newer version of the software, which also includes a
driver, but Windows insists on asking me for 'another' driver when it
detects the cam after I plug it in when told to by the Logitech software.
The outcome is still the same though....'almost all programs, the Logitech
Software and Movie Maker etc., still say the webcam is already in use by
another program. I haven't got a clue what this mysterious 'program' might
be as I don't see one. The only things which the cam 'does' work with are
Windows Messenger and NetMeeting (which was installed by the original
Logitech software).
Eos.