Cleaning Nvidia drivers to go to ATI on a Nforce2 A7N8X Dl..

Hi, all:

I'll be switching to ATI after many years. I've been reading about the
fun that folks are having getting their Nvidia drivers removed and the
ATI ones properly installed, and since one of the procedures that has
to be done is registry searching for Nv*, and removing those entries,
I was wondering how I can differentiate between those files and
registry enries that have to do with the video driver set and those
that are there for the chipset/NIC/onboard sound...

Or am I doomed to reformat?

A7N8X Deluxe with XP Pro SP1

Thanks for any ideas!

Bob M.

Andrew

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 13:06:33 -0400,
removespamandslimermilnespam@slimemagma.ca wrote:

>Or am I doomed to reformat?

When I went from a 4200 to a 9700 Pro I just uninstalled the NVidia
drivers, replaced the card and installed the ATI drivers, no problems
whatsoever.

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 18:09:03 +0100, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost> wrote:

>On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 13:06:33 -0400,
>removespamandslimermilnespam@slimemagma.ca wrote:
>
>>Or am I doomed to reformat?
>
>When I went from a 4200 to a 9700 Pro I just uninstalled the NVidia
>drivers, replaced the card and installed the ATI drivers, no problems
>whatsoever.

Thanks - this was on a Nforce2 motherboard? Just making sure, no
offence intended.

Bob M.

removespamandslimermilnespam@slimemagma.ca wrote in

> Or am I doomed to reformat?
>
> A7N8X Deluxe with XP Pro SP1

From my experience, this motherboard requires a nuke-n-pave.

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but I've seen several people fail to
update their systems successfully without doing so.

The NVIDIA drivers are a bit of a pain to get rid of, but you system should
at least run until you can clean them off after swapping graphics cards.

removespamandslimermilnespam@slimemagma.ca wrote:
> Hi, all:
>
> I'll be switching to ATI after many years. I've been reading about the
> fun that folks are having getting their Nvidia drivers removed and the
> ATI ones properly installed, and since one of the procedures that has
> to be done is registry searching for Nv*, and removing those entries,
> I was wondering how I can differentiate between those files and
> registry enries that have to do with the video driver set and those
> that are there for the chipset/NIC/onboard sound...

Find the file, right click it and see?

Check the hierarchy in the registry for clues?

Don't worry about it too much and reinstall the platform drivers when you're
done?

Ben

Andrew

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 13:18:41 -0400,
removespamandslimermilnespam@slimemagma.ca wrote:

>Thanks - this was on a Nforce2 motherboard? Just making sure, no
>offence intended.

No, that was before I got my NForce 2 board. Mobo drivers are separate
to video ones, and I would only do a reinstall of Windows with a
change of mobo.

http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/

<removespamandslimermilnespam@slimemagma.ca> wrote in message
> Hi, all:
>
> I'll be switching to ATI after many years. I've been reading about the
> fun that folks are having getting their Nvidia drivers removed and the
> ATI ones properly installed, and since one of the procedures that has
> to be done is registry searching for Nv*, and removing those entries,
> I was wondering how I can differentiate between those files and
> registry enries that have to do with the video driver set and those
> that are there for the chipset/NIC/onboard sound...
>
> Or am I doomed to reformat?
>
> A7N8X Deluxe with XP Pro SP1
>
> Thanks for any ideas!
>
> Bob M.

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 13:06:33 -0400,
removespamandslimermilnespam@slimemagma.ca wrote:

>Hi, all:
>
>I'll be switching to ATI after many years. I've been reading about the
>fun that folks are having getting their Nvidia drivers removed and the
>ATI ones properly installed, and since one of the procedures that has
>to be done is registry searching for Nv*, and removing those entries,
>I was wondering how I can differentiate between those files and
>registry enries that have to do with the video driver set and those
>that are there for the chipset/NIC/onboard sound...
>
>Or am I doomed to reformat?
>
>A7N8X Deluxe with XP Pro SP1
>
>Thanks for any ideas!
>
>Bob M.

Thanks all. I'll try the uninstall/reboot/driver
cleaner/shutdown/change vid card/install drivers method. Haven't had
an ATI card since the Rage Fury, but I still remember talking to
myself trying to deal with the drivers.

Regards,

Bob M.

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 13:06:33 -0400,
removespamandslimermilnespam@slimemagma.ca wrote:

>Hi, all:
>
>I'll be switching to ATI after many years. I've been reading about the
>fun that folks are having getting their Nvidia drivers removed and the
>ATI ones properly installed, and since one of the procedures that has
>to be done is registry searching for Nv*, and removing those entries,
>I was wondering how I can differentiate between those files and
>registry enries that have to do with the video driver set and those
>that are there for the chipset/NIC/onboard sound...
>
>Or am I doomed to reformat?
>
>A7N8X Deluxe with XP Pro SP1
>
>Thanks for any ideas!
>
>Bob M.

You could try uninstalling the chipset drivers as well, Bob. Clean
everything NVidia off your system and then reinstall the chipset
drivers.

patrickp