Medialess OEM Windows XP Home, no recovery of out of waren..

February 4, 2005 6:39:04 PM

All computer manufactures due to microsofts worry about piracy, are being
forced to use the medialess Windows recovery.
Microsoft *expects* YOU TO burn your own backup of the OS!!!
but what about those computers that don't have CD-RWs???
You can't make a backup, you can't even GET the reovery CDs!!!
So now expect viruses to look for and attack the extra partition that holds
your recovery data, and once that happens, you wont have any recovery for
your computer.
Even worse for hard drive failures, if your (90 day) warenty is up with the
OEM, your new computer is a complete loss! Unless you want to pay 35$ PER CD
for a set of 6 CDs!!! thats 35x6 = $210 just to reinstall windows!!!!

MICROSOFT NEEDS TO GO BACK TO RECOVERY CDS!!! Send me my recovery CD NOW!

I can't burn a backup, and I purchased this licences of windows from my OEM,
give me my disks!!!

-James
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 6:58:18 PM

Microsoft sells OEM's the full OEM version as well as the recovery system.
The full version is more expensive. Your OEM made the choice not Microsoft.
They just give the OEM what they ask for. You must have compared apples to
oranges when shopping for your computer. There is usually a reason some
computers are more expensive. i.e. full OEM version of Windows, good brand
of motherboard, CDRW drive, longer than 90 day warranty, etc.

Kerry Brown
KDB Systems

"flibbertigibbet007" <flibbertigibbet007@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:F5986F2D-C8F5-4216-914C-7F37AD255397@microsoft.com...
> All computer manufactures due to microsofts worry about piracy, are being
> forced to use the medialess Windows recovery.
> Microsoft *expects* YOU TO burn your own backup of the OS!!!
> but what about those computers that don't have CD-RWs???
> You can't make a backup, you can't even GET the reovery CDs!!!
> So now expect viruses to look for and attack the extra partition that
> holds
> your recovery data, and once that happens, you wont have any recovery for
> your computer.
> Even worse for hard drive failures, if your (90 day) warenty is up with
> the
> OEM, your new computer is a complete loss! Unless you want to pay 35$ PER
> CD
> for a set of 6 CDs!!! thats 35x6 = $210 just to reinstall windows!!!!
>
> MICROSOFT NEEDS TO GO BACK TO RECOVERY CDS!!! Send me my recovery CD NOW!
>
> I can't burn a backup, and I purchased this licences of windows from my
> OEM,
> give me my disks!!!
>
> -James

Anonymous
February 4, 2005 8:47:06 PM

Only the computer manufacturer of your PC
who preinstalled Windows XP can honor your
request. So give your PC manufacturer a call.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"flibbertigibbet007" wrote:

| All computer manufactures due to microsofts worry about piracy, are being
| forced to use the medialess Windows recovery.
| Microsoft *expects* YOU TO burn your own backup of the OS!!!
| but what about those computers that don't have CD-RWs???
| You can't make a backup, you can't even GET the reovery CDs!!!
| So now expect viruses to look for and attack the extra partition that holds
| your recovery data, and once that happens, you wont have any recovery for
| your computer.
| Even worse for hard drive failures, if your (90 day) warenty is up with the
| OEM, your new computer is a complete loss! Unless you want to pay 35$ PER CD
| for a set of 6 CDs!!! thats 35x6 = $210 just to reinstall windows!!!!
|
| MICROSOFT NEEDS TO GO BACK TO RECOVERY CDS!!! Send me my recovery CD NOW!
|
| I can't burn a backup, and I purchased this licences of windows from my OEM,
| give me my disks!!!
|
| -James
February 4, 2005 8:47:07 PM

They tell me that it's all up to microsoft, and they have no way they can get
me any cd. I've been on the phone with gateway all day because of many issues
that i've been having with the computer I just bought.
They actually told me that I would have to order the CDs from them (that are
backordered till 3 months from now) for 35 bucks a peice.

I still want my disks.

-James

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Only the computer manufacturer of your PC
> who preinstalled Windows XP can honor your
> request. So give your PC manufacturer a call.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...

> "flibbertigibbet007" wrote:
>
> | All computer manufactures due to microsofts worry about piracy, are being
> | forced to use the medialess Windows recovery.
> | Microsoft *expects* YOU TO burn your own backup of the OS!!!
> | but what about those computers that don't have CD-RWs???
> | You can't make a backup, you can't even GET the reovery CDs!!!
> | So now expect viruses to look for and attack the extra partition that holds
> | your recovery data, and once that happens, you wont have any recovery for
> | your computer.
> | Even worse for hard drive failures, if your (90 day) warenty is up with the
> | OEM, your new computer is a complete loss! Unless you want to pay 35$ PER CD
> | for a set of 6 CDs!!! thats 35x6 = $210 just to reinstall windows!!!!
> |
> | MICROSOFT NEEDS TO GO BACK TO RECOVERY CDS!!! Send me my recovery CD NOW!
> |
> | I can't burn a backup, and I purchased this licences of windows from my OEM,
> | give me my disks!!!
> |
> | -James

Anonymous
February 4, 2005 10:04:24 PM

And you will still need to get them from Gateway.

"flibbertigibbet007" <flibbertigibbet007@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:1BF1453A-029F-433C-A80E-2644AA07CA62@microsoft.com...
| They tell me that it's all up to microsoft, and they have no way they can
get
| me any cd. I've been on the phone with gateway all day because of many
issues
| that i've been having with the computer I just bought.
| They actually told me that I would have to order the CDs from them (that
are
| backordered till 3 months from now) for 35 bucks a peice.
|
| I still want my disks.
|
| -James
|
| "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
|
| > Only the computer manufacturer of your PC
| > who preinstalled Windows XP can honor your
| > request. So give your PC manufacturer a call.
| >
| > --
| > Carey Frisch
| > Microsoft MVP
| > Windows XP - Shell/User
| > Microsoft Newsgroups
| >
| > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
| > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...

| > "flibbertigibbet007" wrote:
| >
| > | All computer manufactures due to microsofts worry about piracy, are
being
| > | forced to use the medialess Windows recovery.
| > | Microsoft *expects* YOU TO burn your own backup of the OS!!!
| > | but what about those computers that don't have CD-RWs???
| > | You can't make a backup, you can't even GET the reovery CDs!!!
| > | So now expect viruses to look for and attack the extra partition that
holds
| > | your recovery data, and once that happens, you wont have any recovery
for
| > | your computer.
| > | Even worse for hard drive failures, if your (90 day) warenty is up
with the
| > | OEM, your new computer is a complete loss! Unless you want to pay 35$
PER CD
| > | for a set of 6 CDs!!! thats 35x6 = $210 just to reinstall windows!!!!
| > |
| > | MICROSOFT NEEDS TO GO BACK TO RECOVERY CDS!!! Send me my recovery CD
NOW!
| > |
| > | I can't burn a backup, and I purchased this licences of windows from
my OEM,
| > | give me my disks!!!
| > |
| > | -James

Anonymous
February 5, 2005 12:53:30 AM

You did not purchase your Windows XP license
from Microsoft. You purchased it from Gateway.
Contact Gateway Support for assistance.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"flibbertigibbet007" wrote:

| They tell me that it's all up to microsoft, and they have no way they can get
| me any cd. I've been on the phone with gateway all day because of many issues
| that i've been having with the computer I just bought.
| They actually told me that I would have to order the CDs from them (that are
| backordered till 3 months from now) for 35 bucks a peice.
|
| I still want my disks.
|
| -James
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 12:56:49 AM

James;
Microsoft gives the OEMs many choices.
Some are:
Full retail CD
OEM CD (nearly identical to retail)
Recovery CD
Hidden partition for recovery purposes.
The manufacturers decide based on what the manufacturers feel they can sell
their customers.
If you do not like what the OEM provides, immediately return the computer,
explain why and buy elsewhere.
Often local dealers can sell you exactly what you want.
But since you have OEM, they and not Microsoft is your source for CDs.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"flibbertigibbet007" <flibbertigibbet007@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:F5986F2D-C8F5-4216-914C-7F37AD255397@microsoft.com...
> All computer manufactures due to microsofts worry about piracy, are being
> forced to use the medialess Windows recovery.
> Microsoft *expects* YOU TO burn your own backup of the OS!!!
> but what about those computers that don't have CD-RWs???
> You can't make a backup, you can't even GET the reovery CDs!!!
> So now expect viruses to look for and attack the extra partition that
> holds
> your recovery data, and once that happens, you wont have any recovery for
> your computer.
> Even worse for hard drive failures, if your (90 day) warenty is up with
> the
> OEM, your new computer is a complete loss! Unless you want to pay 35$ PER
> CD
> for a set of 6 CDs!!! thats 35x6 = $210 just to reinstall windows!!!!
>
> MICROSOFT NEEDS TO GO BACK TO RECOVERY CDS!!! Send me my recovery CD NOW!
>
> I can't burn a backup, and I purchased this licences of windows from my
> OEM,
> give me my disks!!!
>
> -James
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 2:42:06 PM

flibbertigibbet007 wrote:
> All computer manufactures due to microsofts worry about piracy, are being
> forced to use the medialess Windows recovery.

That's absolutely untrue. Granted many low-end, bargain-basement
manufacturers are going this route to cut their own costs, but the
better companies still provide installation media. Microsoft requires
its licensed OEM computer manufacturers to provide a means of returning
the computer to its original, ex-factory state. The particular method
of recovery, however, is left entirely to the discretion of each
individual computer manufacturer.

Legally, the OEM has met it's contractual obligation to Microsoft by
providing a means of returning the PC to its ex-factory state, whether
it's a Recovery CD or a Recovery Partition. They are not legally
obliged to provide a true installation CD as part of the sale.
Reputable, customer-service aware OEMs, like Dell and Gateway, do
provide a full OEM installation CD, that does permit custom
installations and repairs. Many uncaring OEMs, such as Compaq, HP, and
Sony, however, in an effort to save pennies and reduce their support
costs by having to hire support people that can only say "Boot from the
Recovery CD to return your PC to its original condition," provide only a
CD bearing a disk image of the hard drive as it left the factory. These
Recovery/Restore CDs cannot perform normal installations, nor can they
be used to do any sort of customizations.

Essentially, it boils down to "You get what you pay for."

> Microsoft *expects* YOU TO burn your own backup of the OS!!!

Again, that's the OEM's expectation, not Microsoft's.

> but what about those computers that don't have CD-RWs???
> You can't make a backup, you can't even GET the reovery CDs!!!

This was entirely *your* choice. Did someone force you to buy this
particular brand and model PC, with such a limited feature set? I don't
think so. *You* picked the PC; don't blame others for your own poor
decisions.

> So now expect viruses to look for and attack the extra partition that holds
> your recovery data, and once that happens, you wont have any recovery for
> your computer.

Again, you're in this slightly more vulnerable position as a result of
your own deliberate decisions. As long as you've taken the proper
safeguards, including following the manufacturer's recommendations to
create your own recovery CD(s) and using a reliable, up-to-date
antivirus solution, this is a non-issue.

> Even worse for hard drive failures, if your (90 day) warenty is up with the
> OEM, your new computer is a complete loss!

I've never heard of a new computer that carried less that a year
warranty, while hard drive warranties generally run three to five years.
Did you buy this computer out of the back of a truck?

> Unless you want to pay 35$ PER CD
> for a set of 6 CDs!!! thats 35x6 = $210 just to reinstall windows!!!!

The computer manufacturer is entitled to practice business in any
manner they choose, so long as they're not violating any laws. If you
object so strongly to this particular company's business practices, why
did you purchase one of their products? That makes no sense.

> MICROSOFT NEEDS TO GO BACK TO RECOVERY CDS!!! Send me my recovery CD NOW!

Microsoft has *never* provided anything but full installation CDs. OEM
Recovery CDs are a product of many mid-level computer manufacturers.
The better Manufacturers also provide full installation CDs. Further,
Microsoft provides no support for OEM licenses.

> I can't burn a backup, and I purchased this licences of windows from my OEM,
> give me my disks!!!

You purchased a license to use the OEM version provided by the OEM.
You have this. You got _exactly_ what you paid for. If you want more,
take it up with the computer's manufacturer.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 2:43:26 PM

flibbertigibbet007 wrote:
> They tell me that it's all up to microsoft, and they have no way they can get
> me any cd.

They're lying to you.

> I still want my disks.

Then deal with the Gateway.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 11:20:02 PM

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 15:39:04 -0800, flibbertigibbet007 wrote:

> All computer manufactures due to microsofts worry about piracy, are being
> forced to use the medialess Windows recovery.
> Microsoft *expects* YOU TO burn your own backup of the OS!!!

This is not correct for all vendors - sure, there are mainstream ones that
give complete instructions on how to burn your own restore CD's and do not
include them, but, as we just went through this with a HP/Compaq, the
company, even when out of warranty, will send you the 7~8 CD restore set
for a nominal fee - it cost $25 to order the set and the machine was more
than 3 months out of warranty.

You should call the vendor and ask for the CD's, even if it means you have
to pay a nominal fee.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

MS has nothing to do with it - it is up to the OEM manufacturer, and if they
are requiring "you" to burn a copy of the media on your own, then it is just
another way to increase their bottom line - they don't have to buy CD's,
they don't have to pay labor to burn and package the CD's - you do it for
them - free.

--
Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
"Google is your Friend!"