R9800 128MB Pro Poor Performance...

Bought a cheapish Connect3D R9800 Pro 128MB 256bit in the UK. Clean install
of WinXP with Catalyst 4.6 and using UT2004 as a gauge at default settings.
I find that my frame rates are actually higher with my old Ti4400 than the
C3D 9800 Pro!! Needless to say, I have returned the 9800 Pro. Recently,
there are quite a few people complaining of a similar performance gap...
Maybe inferior components are to blame. I expected a speed bump not
retardation. I'll wait a bit and go for an X800.
12 answers Last reply
More about r9800 128mb poor performance

    On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 23:21:35 +0100, "Noch" <pixies@dawn.com> wrote:

    >Bought a cheapish Connect3D R9800 Pro 128MB 256bit in the UK. Clean install
    >of WinXP with Catalyst 4.6 and using UT2004 as a gauge at default settings.
    >I find that my frame rates are actually higher with my old Ti4400 than the
    >C3D 9800 Pro!! Needless to say, I have returned the 9800 Pro. Recently,
    >there are quite a few people complaining of a similar performance gap...
    >Maybe inferior components are to blame. I expected a speed bump not
    >retardation. I'll wait a bit and go for an X800.

    Well i went from a ti4600 to a ATI 9700 pro and i have to say the ATI
    card blows the ti4600 away in performance and graphics.So there must
    be something wrong with you're system,and you should of tried
    different drivers the 4.6 ran like sht for me so i went back to the
    cat 4.4 and all is good :)

    "Noch" <pixies@dawn.com> wrote in message
    > Bought a cheapish Connect3D R9800 Pro 128MB 256bit in the UK. Clean
    install
    > of WinXP with Catalyst 4.6 and using UT2004 as a gauge at default
    settings.
    > I find that my frame rates are actually higher with my old Ti4400 than the
    > C3D 9800 Pro!! Needless to say, I have returned the 9800 Pro. Recently,
    > there are quite a few people complaining of a similar performance gap...
    > Maybe inferior components are to blame. I expected a speed bump not
    > retardation. I'll wait a bit and go for an X80

    It seems highly unlikely that the 9800 Pro was defective at all. Defective
    cards either don't work, artifact, crash or lockup the system. They don't
    give slower than expected framerates. I have not read anything here or
    elsewhere about this so called "performance gap".....there are 128bit 9800
    Pros out there which don't perform to the same level as the 256bit ones, but
    even these aren't slow either. You say you did a total XP hosedown and
    reinstall when you installed this card? That too seems extreme. I'd suspect
    some of the m/b drivers were not installed, or some other driver or software
    related problems. Looking over several reviews of your exact card I see no
    issues whatsoever. It performs about the same as all the other 9800 Pros.
    You say you used only one benchmark and one driver version too. This is not
    a really good way to evaluate a card.

    dude i have the same problem, replaced a 4400 with a 9800 pro,
    framerates are down at least 1/3 across the board. spent a couple of
    weeks trying to troubleshoot it with help from ati tech support, nothing
    has helped. they finally to me to rma it and they would send me another
    one. hopefully that will help, but who knows? i'm thinking it's some
    very obscure hardware issue. very strange.

    Noch wrote:
    > Bought a cheapish Connect3D R9800 Pro 128MB 256bit in the UK. Clean install
    > of WinXP with Catalyst 4.6 and using UT2004 as a gauge at default settings.
    > I find that my frame rates are actually higher with my old Ti4400 than the
    > C3D 9800 Pro!! Needless to say, I have returned the 9800 Pro. Recently,
    > there are quite a few people complaining of a similar performance gap...
    > Maybe inferior components are to blame. I expected a speed bump not
    > retardation. I'll wait a bit and go for an X800.

    "Noch" <pixies@dawn.com> wrote in message
    > Bought a cheapish Connect3D R9800 Pro 128MB 256bit in the UK. Clean
    install
    > of WinXP with Catalyst 4.6 and using UT2004 as a gauge at default
    settings.
    > I find that my frame rates are actually higher with my old Ti4400 than the
    > C3D 9800 Pro!! Needless to say, I have returned the 9800 Pro. Recently,
    > there are quite a few people complaining of a similar performance gap...
    > Maybe inferior components are to blame. I expected a speed bump not
    > retardation. I'll wait a bit and go for an X800.

    You try ONE game ? DONT try different drivers...then return the card ?

    THEN post to the ati group and not mention the rest of your system ?

    uh....right...

    Did you totally remove your old nvidia drivers ?

    The rest of my system does not matter here (treat it as a zero constant);
    the realtive performance of the cards does. I do not imagine that there will
    be such a enormous difference between 4.6 and earlier usable versions - I
    hear 4.4 mentioned. Likewise with other games. The card was clearly
    *drastically* underperforming.

    Regarding old Nvidia's driver bits, I did a reformat and then installed
    WinXP - so no remaining bits to ibterfere.

    > different drivers the 4.6 ran like sht for me so i went back to the
    > cat 4.4 and all is good :)

    I agree. I think my system had better color with the 4.5 driver.
    I'm tossing the 4.6 .... ATI 9600XT. Maybe it is finally time
    to try the Omega driver ?? One really bad thing about the 4.6
    driver was its tendency to keep changing one of the video
    settings from Medium ( in Far Cry ) to Custom, and then
    video effects would drop out that were running fine, and
    frame rates would also drop. I would set it back, but then
    I saw problems like reduced AI intelligence or even
    respawning loops that would make a level impossible to
    play. I had not seen that with the 4.5 driver when I had
    my ATI 9000 in the system. The game ran fine on the
    9000.

    johns

    Noch wrote:
    > The rest of my system does not matter here (treat it as a zero
    > constant); the realtive performance of the cards does. I do not
    > imagine that there will be such a enormous difference between 4.6 and
    > earlier usable versions - I hear 4.4 mentioned. Likewise with other
    > games. The card was clearly *drastically* underperforming.
    >
    > Regarding old Nvidia's driver bits, I did a reformat and then
    > installed WinXP - so no remaining bits to ibterfere.

    You did install the chipset drivers after you reformatted right?

    Martin

    Yes it is an Asus a7n8x dlx v1.4 bios latest 1008 and using latest nforce2
    drivers under winxp - so the lot are installed. Besides, both cards were put
    in the same rig. Indeed the Ti4400 if anything had a worse time because I
    only uninstalled the ATi drivers with the supplied utility so interfering
    bits might be left.

    "Martin" <martin@scotland.org> wrote in message
    > Noch wrote:
    > > The rest of my system does not matter here (treat it as a zero
    > > constant); the realtive performance of the cards does. I do not
    > > imagine that there will be such a enormous difference between 4.6 and
    > > earlier usable versions - I hear 4.4 mentioned. Likewise with other
    > > games. The card was clearly *drastically* underperforming.
    > >
    > > Regarding old Nvidia's driver bits, I did a reformat and then
    > > installed WinXP - so no remaining bits to ibterfere.
    >
    > You did install the chipset drivers after you reformatted right?
    >
    > Martin

    Nothing extreme, I did the WinXP clean install because my SATA boot drive
    died - not because of the ATi 9800 Pro. There is nothing unusual about a
    card or a system being faulty and underperforming but performing basically
    okay. For instance, there is a performance gap between most cards due to
    component variation - that could in some cases easily be exaggerated... What
    you talk of are the obvious results of failure - bang! it died is more
    noticeable than its underperforming by x fps. I bet there are many people
    out there now with systems or parts 'faulty' and who are not aware of it
    atall.

    I bought a cheapish card and did not want to spend forever evaluating the
    whys of its problem - not worth the effort. I did a reasonable quick test
    against an 'inferior' card and it failed - so back it went. I have read of
    others seeing similar problems, so I posted here.

    As I said I'll go for an X800 Pro in a few weeks. I'll be seriously pissed
    off if that is beaten by my T14400... :)

    I replaced my ti4400 with a 9700pro a while ago now, and I noticed great
    performance increase when I got the 9700pro installed.

    did you check the AGP speed that it was running in? fast writes? SBA ? there
    wasnt any AA or FSAA enabled by default?

    "mkdykstra" <mkdykstra@mchsi.com> wrote in message
    > dude i have the same problem, replaced a 4400 with a 9800 pro,
    > framerates are down at least 1/3 across the board. spent a couple of
    > weeks trying to troubleshoot it with help from ati tech support, nothing
    > has helped. they finally to me to rma it and they would send me another
    > one. hopefully that will help, but who knows? i'm thinking it's some
    > very obscure hardware issue. very strange.
    >
    > Noch wrote:
    > > Bought a cheapish Connect3D R9800 Pro 128MB 256bit in the UK. Clean
    install
    > > of WinXP with Catalyst 4.6 and using UT2004 as a gauge at default
    settings.
    > > I find that my frame rates are actually higher with my old Ti4400 than
    the
    > > C3D 9800 Pro!! Needless to say, I have returned the 9800 Pro. Recently,
    > > there are quite a few people complaining of a similar performance gap...
    > > Maybe inferior components are to blame. I expected a speed bump not
    > > retardation. I'll wait a bit and go for an X800.

    If you will no longer need your old T14400, you can send it to me. :-)
    I using a Radeon8500LE 128MB card.
    I hope you new X800 Pro blows your socks off. :-)

    > Nothing extreme, I did the WinXP clean install because my SATA boot drive
    > died - not because of the ATi 9800 Pro. There is nothing unusual about a
    > card or a system being faulty and underperforming but performing basically
    > okay. For instance, there is a performance gap between most cards due to
    > component variation - that could in some cases easily be exaggerated...
    What
    > you talk of are the obvious results of failure - bang! it died is more
    > noticeable than its underperforming by x fps. I bet there are many people
    > out there now with systems or parts 'faulty' and who are not aware of it
    > atall.
    >
    > I bought a cheapish card and did not want to spend forever evaluating the
    > whys of its problem - not worth the effort. I did a reasonable quick test
    > against an 'inferior' card and it failed - so back it went. I have read of
    > others seeing similar problems, so I posted here.
    >
    > As I said I'll go for an X800 Pro in a few weeks. I'll be seriously pissed
    > off if that is beaten by my T14400... :)

    Don't you mean a constant of unity?
    A constant of zero would always return zero.

    >The rest of my system does not matter here (treat it as a zero constant);
    >the realtive performance of the cards does. I do not imagine that there will
    >be such a enormous

Radeon Performance Graphics