9800Pro Display Corruption

I have a small form factor shuttle system with a 9800PRO video card.
It has been running fine for the past few months (I built it in
February 2004), but as of last night, I have begun to get severe
display corruption. The screen is fine if there is no motion, but the
moment I scroll in a browser or play a game, it's as if something
isn't refresing properly, and lines of text, graphics, etc. get broken
up and spray the screen with horizontal lines.

I recently upgraded to the Catalyst 4.6 driver three weeks ago, but I
didn't notice the problem with the display until last night. Could
this be a physical problem with the card (hopefully still under
warranty), is my box overheating (stuff is packed really tightly in a
Shuttle), or is my power supply too small (I'm using the 220 Watt that
came built-in...which I have come to understand from other posts is
waaay too small). Or maybe could this be a driver problem?

Anyway, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks for your help, guys.

Stuart Albert wrote:

> I have a small form factor shuttle system with a 9800PRO video card.
> It has been running fine for the past few months (I built it in
> February 2004), but as of last night, I have begun to get severe
> display corruption. The screen is fine if there is no motion, but the
> moment I scroll in a browser or play a game, it's as if something
> isn't refresing properly, and lines of text, graphics, etc. get broken
> up and spray the screen with horizontal lines.
>
> I recently upgraded to the Catalyst 4.6 driver three weeks ago, but I
> didn't notice the problem with the display until last night. Could
> this be a physical problem with the card (hopefully still under
> warranty), is my box overheating (stuff is packed really tightly in a
> Shuttle), or is my power supply too small (I'm using the 220 Watt that
> came built-in...which I have come to understand from other posts is
> waaay too small). Or maybe could this be a driver problem?
>
> Anyway, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks for your help, guys.

heat is an issue and your underpowered

Gordon Scott wrote:

> Stuart Albert wrote:
> >
> > I have a small form factor shuttle system with a 9800PRO video card.
> > It has been running fine for the past few months (I built it in
> > February 2004), but as of last night, I have begun to get severe
> > display corruption. The screen is fine if there is no motion, but
> > the moment I scroll in a browser or play a game, it's as if
> > something isn't refresing properly, and lines of text, graphics,
> > etc. get broken up and spray the screen with horizontal lines.
> >
> > I recently upgraded to the Catalyst 4.6 driver three weeks ago, but
> > I didn't notice the problem with the display until last night. Could
> > this be a physical problem with the card (hopefully still under
> > warranty), is my box overheating (stuff is packed really tightly in
> > a Shuttle), or is my power supply too small (I'm using the 220 Watt
> > that came built-in...which I have come to understand from other
> > posts is waaay too small). Or maybe could this be a driver problem?
> >
> > Anyway, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks for your help, guys.
>
> heat is an issue and your underpowered

I am really surprised the card actually functions at all with a 22 watt
power system .. look here:

http://tinyurl.com/24zoz

regards

@ndrew

@ndrew wrote:

> Gordon Scott wrote:
>
> > Stuart Albert wrote:
> > >
> > > I have a small form factor shuttle system with a 9800PRO video
> > > card. It has been running fine for the past few months (I built
> > > it in February 2004), but as of last night, I have begun to get
> > > severe display corruption. The screen is fine if there is no
> > > motion, but the moment I scroll in a browser or play a game, it's
> > > as if something isn't refresing properly, and lines of text,
> > > graphics, etc. get broken up and spray the screen with horizontal
> > > lines.
> > >
> > > I recently upgraded to the Catalyst 4.6 driver three weeks ago,
> > > but I didn't notice the problem with the display until last
> > > night. Could this be a physical problem with the card (hopefully
> > > still under warranty), is my box overheating (stuff is packed
> > > really tightly in a Shuttle), or is my power supply too small
> > > (I'm using the 220 Watt that came built-in...which I have come to
> > > understand from other posts is waaay too small). Or maybe could
> > > this be a driver problem?
> > >
> > > Anyway, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks for your help, guys.
> >
> > heat is an issue and your underpowered
>

> I am really surprised the card actually functions at all with a 22
> watt power system .. look here:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/24zoz
>
> regards
>
> @ndrew

That should read 220 o)

I've done some research, and even if I want to upgrade the power
suply, the largest power suply offered by Shuttle for the small form
factor boxes appears to be 250W. Is there another power-source option
available that I'm not aware of? Maybe something external? I have
looked on the shuttle website and at newegg
(http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=17-157-005&depa=1),
but this seems to be it. The sstem I'm using is this:
http://us.shuttle.com/specs2.asp?pro_id=396 , with a P4 2.8 HT chip.

Up until now, I have had absolutely no problems with the operation of
my system due to power supply issues, other than a lot of fan noise.

Stuart Albert wrote:

> I've done some research, and even if I want to upgrade the power
> suply, the largest power suply offered by Shuttle for the small form
> factor boxes appears to be 250W. Is there another power-source option
> available that I'm not aware of? Maybe something external? I have
> looked on the shuttle website and at newegg

Have a look here at this mod using a 300 watt power supply is an Abit
system but same form factor as yours.
http://tinyurl.com/6rkoj

regards

@ndrew