Is AVG really a free and useful virus checker, or is it malware?

The AVG Anti-Virus package from Grisoft is free and useful.
I have used is successfully for friends and family for over a year now and
it is pretty good, IMHO.

Make sure you get it directly from the Grisoft web site
(http://free.grisoft.com/),
as one trick malware writers will use is to package their malware to look
like a legitimate AV program to trick users into running it.
Be aware that it is only free for this use:
"AVG Free Edition is for private, non-commercial, single home computer use
only. "

If that matches your requirement then give it a try

I hope that helps

BB

<johnsuth@nospam.com.au> wrote in message

> Is AVG really a free and useful virus checker, or is it malware?

It is free and useful (at least in the sense of something is better than
nothing), but it is not necessarily the best antivirus program you can get
(in other words, you get what you pay for). When I used it, I never had a
problem with it.