Video card with component outs

robin

I've been searching for a video card with component video
outs to run my PC to my Sony LCD projection HDTV. I'd like
to use component instead of DVI because the TV's single DVI
input is used by the satellite. PC is a 3Ghz 1.5G RAM
Media Center with TV tuner and PVR. Current video card is
an FX 5200 that only has VGA and S-Video. The s-video
picture is more than tolerable, but I'd really like a higher
resolution. Dual monitor support with separate aspect
ratios would be great. Does such an animal exist? I don't
want an all in one type card as I believe they are not
compatible with Media Center 2004.

Thanks for any info,
Robin

"Robin" <robinandtami@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I've been searching for a video card with component video
> outs to run my PC to my Sony LCD projection HDTV. I'd like
> to use component instead of DVI because the TV's single DVI
> input is used by the satellite. PC is a 3Ghz 1.5G RAM
> Media Center with TV tuner and PVR. Current video card is
> an FX 5200 that only has VGA and S-Video. The s-video
> picture is more than tolerable, but I'd really like a higher
> resolution. Dual monitor support with separate aspect
> ratios would be great. Does such an animal exist? I don't
> want an all in one type card as I believe they are not
> compatible with Media Center 2004.
>
> Thanks for any info,
> Robin

It is possible to get VGA to component cables for any card that can support
the timings. On the ATI side, that is Radeon 9500 and above ( built in
HDTV support )- dual monitor support, VGA and DVI w/S-video. You can also
get the ATI DVI to component adapter with dip switches to enable various
DTV/HDTV modes. I myself have an RCA HDTV with a VGA connector and use the
Rage3DTweak custom modes to enable 1920x1080i on my second display ( Radeon
9800 ). I also have a 36" DTV which I can use my ATI component adapter with
( Radeon 9500 ). You can also do the same on the nVidia side with their
dual monitor cards ( probably FX5600 and above? ). In any event, you can
get the VGA/component cables on eBay and the like - they usually don't carry
them local...

robin

"newsgroups.bellsouth.net" <char3091@bellsouth.net> wrote in
message news:iWhHc.24225$9t6.55@bignews3.bellsouth.net...
> "Robin" <robinandtami@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > I've been searching for a video card with component
video
> > outs to run my PC to my Sony LCD projection HDTV. I'd
like
> > to use component instead of DVI because the TV's single
DVI
> > input is used by the satellite. PC is a 3Ghz 1.5G RAM
> > Media Center with TV tuner and PVR. Current video card
is
> > an FX 5200 that only has VGA and S-Video. The s-video
> > picture is more than tolerable, but I'd really like a
higher
> > resolution. Dual monitor support with separate aspect
> > ratios would be great. Does such an animal exist? I
don't
> > want an all in one type card as I believe they are not
> > compatible with Media Center 2004.
> >
> > Thanks for any info,
> > Robin
>
> It is possible to get VGA to component cables for any card
that can support
> the timings. On the ATI side, that is Radeon 9500 and
above ( built in
> HDTV support )- dual monitor support, VGA and DVI
w/S-video. You can also
> get the ATI DVI to component adapter with dip switches to
enable various
> DTV/HDTV modes. I myself have an RCA HDTV with a VGA
connector and use the
> Rage3DTweak custom modes to enable 1920x1080i on my second
display ( Radeon
> 9800 ). I also have a 36" DTV which I can use my ATI
component adapter with
> ( Radeon 9500 ). You can also do the same on the nVidia
side with their
> dual monitor cards ( probably FX5600 and above? ). In any
event, you can
> get the VGA/component cables on eBay and the like - they
usually don't carry
> them local...

Thanks, I only have one VGA out and I'd like to keep my
current monitor as well. I finally saw last night the ATI
9800 series with the DVI out and available component
converter. That is looking like a good option for me.