Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

[MAP] DM_Depot - OMFG

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 12:10:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

DM maps really worth noting

http://www.chatbear.com/board.plm?a=viewthread&t=6,1105...

Check it out my friends

- Peter

/who sees his brilliant mapping career vanish into thin air :-)

--
Hi! I'm a .signature *virus*! Copy me into your ~/.signature to help me
spread!

More about : map depot omfg

January 7, 2005 1:15:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Peter Lykkegaard proclaimed...

>
> http://www.chatbear.com/board.plm?a=viewthread&t=6,1105...
>
> Check it out my friends

Wow, that's impressive.

Keep working Peter, wait till the new gasworks is finished then you can
really put the detail in like they have on that map.

don't forget that when you're pimping it you need to take screenshots in
high res to really sell it.

--
AGHL Newsgroup, IRC FAQ & other: aghl-stuff.tk
Homepage: stri.tk

I'm gonna bounce back and when I do I'm gonna buy you
a diamond so big it's gonna make you puke.
I don't wanna puke.
January 7, 2005 1:29:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Peter Lykkegaard wrote:
> DM maps really worth noting
>
> http://www.chatbear.com/board.plm?a=viewthread&t=6,1105...
>
> Check it out my friends
>
> - Peter
>
> /who sees his brilliant mapping career vanish into thin air :-)
>

'Secondly I would really really apreciate it if someone mirrored this
file for me as Im not sure how long my bandwidth will last. I'll be
removing my link as of tomorrow by when I should have found a suitable
host!'

Here's a mirror -
http://www.makenshi.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/dm_depotbeta1....
Related resources
January 7, 2005 1:38:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Chris proclaimed...

> 'Secondly I would really really apreciate it if someone mirrored this
> file for me as Im not sure how long my bandwidth will last. I'll be
> removing my link as of tomorrow by when I should have found a suitable
> host!'
>
> Here's a mirror -
> http://www.makenshi.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/dm_depotbeta1....

Upload it to my site, I'm happy to host it for you.

--
AGHL Newsgroup, IRC FAQ & other: aghl-stuff.tk
Homepage: stri.tk

I'm gonna bounce back and when I do I'm gonna buy you
a diamond so big it's gonna make you puke.
I don't wanna puke.
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 2:33:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Chris" wrote

> 'Secondly I would really really apreciate it if someone mirrored this file
> for me as Im not sure how long my bandwidth will last. I'll be removing my
> link as of tomorrow by when I should have found a suitable host!'
>
You can always mirror maps at the mapvault :-)
http://twhl.co.za/mapvault.php

- Peter
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 2:39:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Peter Lykkegaard wrote:
> DM maps really worth noting
>
>
http://www.chatbear.com/board.plm?a=viewthread&t=6,1105...
4989&v=flatold
>
> Check it out my friends


Thanks Peter, those pictures look gobsmackingly fantastic, but I've downloaded
the beta map and have no clue how to get it running so that I can wander around
in it. I have had this trouble before (with a much poorer map). The only maps
I can ever get to appear are the standard ones, whether on a dedicated server or
one created directly from the game menu.

Could some kind soul please explain exactly where I should put the map files,
and what config files I should alter to make the server recognise them (I
thought mapcycle.txt was the obvious one, but nothing happens when I do).
Thanks.

--
Paul
January 7, 2005 3:13:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Hi,

The photos to this map looks great, I only wish that I can play/walk around
in it.

I did this - My DM maps goes here:
C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\somesteamaccount\half-life 2
deathmatch\hl2mp\maps
But I do not understand this - I am using a shortcut like this for DM
"C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 320 -console +sv_lan 1
And I have tried this, but didn't work or I am doing it wrong - Type:
MAP <nameofmap> in the console and set and go

Someone please help as I would like to(if possible) play/walk around this
map as single player type game, as I do not want to this as a online(DM)
type game.

Thanks,

X




"Peter Lykkegaard" <polonline@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:345k9iF46chgrU1@individual.net...
> DM maps really worth noting
>
> http://www.chatbear.com/board.plm?a=viewthread&t=6,1105...
>
> Check it out my friends
>
> - Peter
>
> /who sees his brilliant mapping career vanish into thin air :-)
>
> --
> Hi! I'm a .signature *virus*! Copy me into your ~/.signature to help me
> spread!
>
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 3:45:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Paul Catley" wrote

> Could some kind soul please explain exactly where I should put the map
> files,

My DM maps goes here:

C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\somesteamaccount\half-life 2
deathmatch\hl2mp\maps

> and what config files I should alter to make the server recognise them (I
> thought mapcycle.txt was the obvious one, but nothing happens when I do).

I am using a shortcut like this for DM
"C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 320 -console +sv_lan 1

Type:
MAP <nameofmap> in the console and set and go

Well the dedicated server/mapcycle things I haven't touched those yet

HTH - Peter
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 4:50:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Don't know if it's me or a problem with the map... DLed it to my DL
directory, Copied, pasted to my HLDM maps directory, pasted to my HLDS
maps file and cranked up "The Rats Cat House" server... Came up and
showed on Steam servers... Tried to join and got the messege "Map
differs from servers, disconnect" Same friggin' BSP... deleted, DL
again and recopied.. Same... Was able to start a LAN and join the map
(Pretty but can it fight???) Notice this map is not on the steam DM
server list... Hum???? Maybe that's why it's still a beta...




"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with
the intention of arriving safely in an attractive
and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite beverage in
the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out,
and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 3:16:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Peter Lykkegaard wrote:
>
> My DM maps goes here:
>
> C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\somesteamaccount\half-life 2
> deathmatch\hl2mp\maps
>
> I am using a shortcut like this for DM
> "C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 320 -console
> +sv_lan 1
>
> Type:
> MAP <nameofmap> in the console and set and go

Thanks Peter. I had the maps in the wrong place. Not my fault, I followed the
path that another 3rd party map unzipped to (a poor version of Datacore), which
was incorrect. It placed them in the hl2\maps folder of HL2DM, not the
hl2mp\maps folder. I assumed the maker knew what he was doing. (Then again, he
only copied Datacore from HL1, rather than remaking it, and even I can remember
that he has placed the weapons in the wrong places)

The dm_depot map is very beautiful, but unfortunately doesn't play very well as
a DM map. The routes around it don't flow at all, some connections (gates,
planks) are only one-way as the drop at the other end is too high to jump (I
couldn't find a way to get onto the central raised railway, though there was a
connecting plank to get off it), and at one point I jumped into a skip and there
wasn't a way out. I know it's a beta, but I think he should think more about
the connectivity before he goes decorating it to such a high standard. Surely
the basic structure comes first. Still, nice to gawp at :) 


> Well the dedicated server/mapcycle things I haven't touched those yet

If I want to play in offline mode I have to use the dedicated server and connect
to it. If I am offline and try to create a server, the game locks up and I have
to reboot. However, the dedicated server won't recognise the 3rd party maps, so
I had to go online and use Create Server. Worrying, since there is nowhere in
the interface to set passwords or maximum player numbers. (Nobody would join
such a high-pinging server though, I hope).

--
Paul
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 12:50:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Cannon Fodder wrote:
> Was able to start a LAN and join the map
> (Pretty but can it fight???)

Donald Sutherland, The Dirty Dozen :) 


> Notice this map is not on the steam DM
> server list... Hum???? Maybe that's why it's still a beta...

Not on my server list either, but neither is the only other map I have
downloaded (the dm_datacore map suggested by you ;)  )

--
Paul
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 12:57:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Paul Catley" <paul.notreallymyaddress@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:349ojrF46tiorU1@individual.net
> Cannon Fodder wrote:
>> Was able to start a LAN and join the map
>> (Pretty but can it fight???)
>
> Donald Sutherland, The Dirty Dozen :) 
>
>
>> Notice this map is not on the steam DM
>> server list... Hum???? Maybe that's why it's still a beta...
>
> Not on my server list either, but neither is the only other map I have
> downloaded (the dm_datacore map suggested by you ;)  )

I can see it both in HL2DM and also run it in HL2. It's not so empty,
there's a train goes thru every few seconds.
January 8, 2005 2:59:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

I guess no one wants to help me?!

X





"borg" <no@cox.net> wrote in message
news:TwrDd.43083$8e5.22481@fed1read07...
>
> Hi,
>
> The photos to this map looks great, I only wish that I can play/walk
> around in it.
>
> I did this - My DM maps goes here:
> C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\somesteamaccount\half-life 2
> deathmatch\hl2mp\maps
> But I do not understand this - I am using a shortcut like this for DM
> "C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 320 -console +sv_lan
> 1
> And I have tried this, but didn't work or I am doing it wrong - Type:
> MAP <nameofmap> in the console and set and go
>
> Someone please help as I would like to(if possible) play/walk around this
> map as single player type game, as I do not want to this as a online(DM)
> type game.
>
> Thanks,
>
> X
>
>
>
>
> "Peter Lykkegaard" <polonline@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:345k9iF46chgrU1@individual.net...
>> DM maps really worth noting
>>
>> http://www.chatbear.com/board.plm?a=viewthread&t=6,1105...
>>
>> Check it out my friends
>>
>> - Peter
>>
>> /who sees his brilliant mapping career vanish into thin air :-)
>>
>> --
>> Hi! I'm a .signature *virus*! Copy me into your ~/.signature to help me
>> spread!
>>
>
>
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 11:38:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"borg" <no@cox.net> wrote in message news:tYWDd.46988$8e5.34464@fed1read07...
>
> I guess no one wants to help me?!

Whoa up, replies take time sometimes: this isn't a helpline.

It seems that HL2 doesn't allow you to create a server if you are offline,
sorry. With me, it just locks up the PC as it tries to load.

You can join a dedicated server on the same PC if you like, and I think you may
be able to play offline this way. To set up a dedicated server, you first have
to download and install the Source Dedicated Server via Steam/Play Games. After
installation (the server label changes to white), you can run it, then join it
from the main HL2DM game via Find Servers.

Unfortunately, this beta map doesn't seem to be recognised by the dedicated
server, so the only way I have found to view it is to go online and then Create
Server from the HL2DM menu. The map is pickable from a list.

--
Paul
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 2:39:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Instead of putting it in HL2Dm, since it's a beta map and servers may
not run it, and starting a LAN server seems a bit much for just having a
looksee and walkabout in the map; I just added it to my regular HL2
maps folder, then in a normal startup of the HL2 SP game, I drop the
console, type "map dm_depot" and HL2's auto complete actually produced
the map name for me :)  It loaded and I wandered all through it alone.
That this is simply one .bsp file sure makes it easy to check out.
So, try that one. It should be very easy to find the right map folder
for regular HL2.
McG.


"borg" <no@cox.net> wrote in message
news:tYWDd.46988$8e5.34464@fed1read07
> I guess no one wants to help me?!
>
> X
>
>
>
>
>
> "borg" <no@cox.net> wrote in message
> news:TwrDd.43083$8e5.22481@fed1read07...
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The photos to this map looks great, I only wish that I can play/walk
>> around in it.
>>
>> I did this - My DM maps goes here:
>> C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\somesteamaccount\half-life 2
>> deathmatch\hl2mp\maps
>> But I do not understand this - I am using a shortcut like this for DM
>> "C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 320 -console
>> +sv_lan 1
>> And I have tried this, but didn't work or I am doing it wrong - Type:
>> MAP <nameofmap> in the console and set and go
>>
>> Someone please help as I would like to(if possible) play/walk around
>> this map as single player type game, as I do not want to this as a
>> online(DM) type game.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> X
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> "Peter Lykkegaard" <polonline@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:345k9iF46chgrU1@individual.net...
>>> DM maps really worth noting
>>>
>>> http://www.chatbear.com/board.plm?a=viewthread&t=6,1105...
>>>
>>> Check it out my friends
>>>
>>> - Peter
>>>
>>> /who sees his brilliant mapping career vanish into thin air :-)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hi! I'm a .signature *virus*! Copy me into your ~/.signature to
>>> help me spread!
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 2:40:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Paul Catley" <paul.notreallymyaddress@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:34aui7F489r7lU1@individual.net
> "borg" <no@cox.net> wrote in message
> news:tYWDd.46988$8e5.34464@fed1read07...
>>
>> I guess no one wants to help me?!
>
> Whoa up, replies take time sometimes: this isn't a helpline.
>
> It seems that HL2 doesn't allow you to create a server if you are
> offline, sorry. With me, it just locks up the PC as it tries to load.
>
> You can join a dedicated server on the same PC if you like, and I
> think you may be able to play offline this way. To set up a
> dedicated server, you first have to download and install the Source
> Dedicated Server via Steam/Play Games. After installation (the
> server label changes to white), you can run it, then join it from the
> main HL2DM game via Find Servers.
>
> Unfortunately, this beta map doesn't seem to be recognised by the
> dedicated server, so the only way I have found to view it is to go
> online and then Create Server from the HL2DM menu. The map is
> pickable from a list.

Paul, you CAN load the map up in regular HL2. That's how I did it :) 
January 9, 2005 3:31:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Still cant get it to work.

X



"McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
news:Wa_Dd.18247$q4.7240@fe1.texas.rr.com...
> Instead of putting it in HL2Dm, since it's a beta map and servers may not
> run it, and starting a LAN server seems a bit much for just having a
> looksee and walkabout in the map; I just added it to my regular HL2 maps
> folder, then in a normal startup of the HL2 SP game, I drop the console,
> type "map dm_depot" and HL2's auto complete actually produced the map name
> for me :)  It loaded and I wandered all through it alone. That this is
> simply one .bsp file sure makes it easy to check out.
> So, try that one. It should be very easy to find the right map folder for
> regular HL2.
> McG.
>
>
> "borg" <no@cox.net> wrote in message
> news:tYWDd.46988$8e5.34464@fed1read07
>> I guess no one wants to help me?!
>>
>> X
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> "borg" <no@cox.net> wrote in message
>> news:TwrDd.43083$8e5.22481@fed1read07...
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> The photos to this map looks great, I only wish that I can play/walk
>>> around in it.
>>>
>>> I did this - My DM maps goes here:
>>> C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\somesteamaccount\half-life 2
>>> deathmatch\hl2mp\maps
>>> But I do not understand this - I am using a shortcut like this for DM
>>> "C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 320 -console
>>> +sv_lan 1
>>> And I have tried this, but didn't work or I am doing it wrong - Type:
>>> MAP <nameofmap> in the console and set and go
>>>
>>> Someone please help as I would like to(if possible) play/walk around
>>> this map as single player type game, as I do not want to this as a
>>> online(DM) type game.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> X
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> "Peter Lykkegaard" <polonline@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> news:345k9iF46chgrU1@individual.net...
>>>> DM maps really worth noting
>>>>
>>>> http://www.chatbear.com/board.plm?a=viewthread&t=6,1105...
>>>>
>>>> Check it out my friends
>>>>
>>>> - Peter
>>>>
>>>> /who sees his brilliant mapping career vanish into thin air :-)
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> Hi! I'm a .signature *virus*! Copy me into your ~/.signature to
>>>> help me spread!
>
>
>
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 2:10:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Then tell us what you are doing, so we can have some idea of perhaps
why?

"borg" <no@cox.net> wrote in message
news:XZ5Ed.47835$8e5.5541@fed1read07
> Still cant get it to work.
>
> X
>
>
>
> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:Wa_Dd.18247$q4.7240@fe1.texas.rr.com...
>> Instead of putting it in HL2Dm, since it's a beta map and servers
>> may not run it, and starting a LAN server seems a bit much for just
>> having a looksee and walkabout in the map; I just added it to my
>> regular HL2 maps folder, then in a normal startup of the HL2 SP
>> game, I drop the console, type "map dm_depot" and HL2's auto
>> complete actually produced the map name for me :)  It loaded and I
>> wandered all through it alone. That this is simply one .bsp file
>> sure makes it easy to check out. So, try that one. It should be very
>> easy to find the right map
>> folder for regular HL2.
>> McG.
>>
>>
>> "borg" <no@cox.net> wrote in message
>> news:tYWDd.46988$8e5.34464@fed1read07
>>> I guess no one wants to help me?!
>>>
>>> X
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> "borg" <no@cox.net> wrote in message
>>> news:TwrDd.43083$8e5.22481@fed1read07...
>>>>
>>>> Hi,
>>>>
>>>> The photos to this map looks great, I only wish that I can
>>>> play/walk around in it.
>>>>
>>>> I did this - My DM maps goes here:
>>>> C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\somesteamaccount\half-life 2
>>>> deathmatch\hl2mp\maps
>>>> But I do not understand this - I am using a shortcut like this for
>>>> DM "C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 320 -console
>>>> +sv_lan 1
>>>> And I have tried this, but didn't work or I am doing it wrong -
>>>> Type: MAP <nameofmap> in the console and set and go
>>>>
>>>> Someone please help as I would like to(if possible) play/walk
>>>> around this map as single player type game, as I do not want to
>>>> this as a online(DM) type game.
>>>>
>>>> Thanks,
>>>>
>>>> X
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> "Peter Lykkegaard" <polonline@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>> news:345k9iF46chgrU1@individual.net...
>>>>> DM maps really worth noting
>>>>>
>>>>> http://www.chatbear.com/board.plm?a=viewthread&t=6,1105...
>>>>>
>>>>> Check it out my friends
>>>>>
>>>>> - Peter
>>>>>
>>>>> /who sees his brilliant mapping career vanish into thin air :-)
>>>>>
>>>>> --
>>>>> Hi! I'm a .signature *virus*! Copy me into your ~/.signature to
>>>>> help me spread!
!