PB450 motherboard bios

tonys

Working on old PB450 motherboard, trying to install cd rom on secondary ide
but it does not seem to see it.

Wondering if there is an updated bios that could help me out. All the PB450
bios links seems to be dead.

thanks

tony

Tony,

I'm fairly certain that the PB450 BIOS pre-dates the existence of IDE/ATAPI
CD-ROM drives. Often with these old 486s and some VERY early Pentium systems,
the drive will be detected and put into use by Windows when the BIOS setup
indicates that the a drive is "Not installed" or the drive type is "None". Once
you've done that, try booting the system with a Windows 98 or Windows ME install
floppy. If the CD-ROM is detected by the OAKCDROM.SYS driver, you are home
free. If not, I'm afraid there is nothing cost-effective you can do.

Install a SCSI host adapter and a SCSI CD-ROM drive? THAT would work for sure.
I could scare up a kit of a still factory-sealed Adaptec 1542C SCSI host
adapter, SCSI cable and a SCSI CD-ROM drive (even a SCSI CD-RW!), if you are
interested. Yes, I would charge for it. No, it would not be horrifically
expensive. I am a realist about these things.

MicroFirmware once sold BIOS updates for these older 486 and Pentium
motherboards, but they are long gone and I don't recall if they ever did a BIOS
for the PB450... Ben Myers

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 15:16:51 -0700, "tonys" <aarcuda@lvcm.com.spam> wrote:

>Working on old PB450 motherboard, trying to install cd rom on secondary ide
>but it does not seem to see it.
>
>Wondering if there is an updated bios that could help me out. All the PB450
>bios links seems to be dead.
>

>thanks
>
>tony

tonys

Ben, tried the win98 boot disk,,,does not detect cd rom.
I have an old SCSI host adapter and SCSI hard drive and CD rom..will give
that a try.

Yeah...dont want to spend any money on this thing...was just playing with it
since it was just sitting in the corner.

tony