computer keeps trying to connect to internet...

in safe mode it's fine..in normal mode it constantly tries to connect to a
series of sites..in no particular order...this in turn interferes with normal
programs..if you try to run them, they flash up and then disappear. this
applies to the run command too.
If I go into services and disable ntlogin service, the problem
disappears...but don't i need this service for normal functioning?
--
would be grateful for any help, especially if it's in idiotproof format.

Maybe you could explain more about the ntlogin service. Never heard of it.

winlogon.exe is Windows NT Logon Application.
[[This is the process responsible for managing user logon and logoff.
Moreover, Winlogon is active only when the user presses CTRL+ALT+DEL, at
which point it shows the security dialog box. ]]

lsass.exe is Net Logon service.
[[Used for logging onto a Domain Controller. This service is not required on
a standalone system, or for a "home" network.]]

[[Presence of file ntlogon.exe in your system means that your computer is
infected with keylogger TrojanSpy.Win32.Agent.]]
http://www.2-files.com/filename/ntlogon-exe

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:1658FE39-9144-4DDE-80C1-40E52CA925A3@microsoft.com,
CCL <CCL@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> in safe mode it's fine..in normal mode it constantly tries to connect
> to a series of sites..in no particular order...this in turn
> interferes with normal programs..if you try to run them, they flash
> up and then disappear. this applies to the run command too.
> If I go into services and disable ntlogin service, the problem
> disappears...but don't i need this service for normal functioning?
> --
> would be grateful for any help, especially if it's in idiotproof
> format.

hi you would appear to be correct about this login service..it's listed in
the system configuration utility and seems to be associated with startup
items libsysmgr.exe and syslog32 both on the system32 folder. have disabled
them and will now try to disinfect the system
THANKS

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Maybe you could explain more about the ntlogin service. Never heard of it.
>
> winlogon.exe is Windows NT Logon Application.
> [[This is the process responsible for managing user logon and logoff.
> Moreover, Winlogon is active only when the user presses CTRL+ALT+DEL, at
> which point it shows the security dialog box. ]]
>
> lsass.exe is Net Logon service.
> [[Used for logging onto a Domain Controller. This service is not required on
> a standalone system, or for a "home" network.]]
>
> [[Presence of file ntlogon.exe in your system means that your computer is
> infected with keylogger TrojanSpy.Win32.Agent.]]
> http://www.2-files.com/filename/ntlogon-exe
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:1658FE39-9144-4DDE-80C1-40E52CA925A3@microsoft.com,
> CCL <CCL@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > in safe mode it's fine..in normal mode it constantly tries to connect
> > to a series of sites..in no particular order...this in turn
> > interferes with normal programs..if you try to run them, they flash
> > up and then disappear. this applies to the run command too.
> > If I go into services and disable ntlogin service, the problem
> > disappears...but don't i need this service for normal functioning?
> > --
> > would be grateful for any help, especially if it's in idiotproof
> > format.

Startup Name Microsoft System Checkup
libsysmgr.exe is added by the SDBOT-CAF WORM!
http://startup.iamnotageek.com/srch-libsysmgr.exe.html

Startup Name NT Logging Service
Syslog32.exe is added by the DONK.B or DONK.C or DONK.L or DONK.M or DONK.O
WORMS!
http://startup.iamnotageek.com/srch-Syslog32.exe.html

Update your antivirus software and run a full system scan.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User