En d of the line for my old 8500

My old trusty 8500 has reached the end of it's usefulness I think.... my
fist 128MB vid card some 3yrs ago has started exhibiting unusual flaws.

Firstly, I started getting a flickering around the edges of open
applications in XP, no matter what resolution. The I noticed that when the
starfield screensaver kicked in it would leave small red dots randomly
around the screen.. and occasionally on the desktop to (I use a plain black
background)

Then when I moved this pc (file server) and hooked it up to the TV I
couldn't get a decent picture, ghosting on the image, blurriness.. colour
bleed.

So I whipped it out (the card that is) and swapped it for a 9200 I bought as
a spare for emergencies (always pays to have a backup), the results are
amazing, perfect picture on the tv.. the flickering has gone and there are
no red pixels on the screen anymore.

Any ideas if the 8500 is fixable, it does give much better performance in
games.. not that I use this pc for games anymore.. I've got a much faster
one with a 9700 in it for that.

regards

Put the 8500 in a different machine just to confirm that it is the card and
not some driver corruption

"Heckler ²°°³" <spam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My old trusty 8500 has reached the end of it's usefulness I think.... my
> fist 128MB vid card some 3yrs ago has started exhibiting unusual flaws.
>
> Firstly, I started getting a flickering around the edges of open
> applications in XP, no matter what resolution. The I noticed that when the
> starfield screensaver kicked in it would leave small red dots randomly
> around the screen.. and occasionally on the desktop to (I use a plain
black
> background)
>
> Then when I moved this pc (file server) and hooked it up to the TV I
> couldn't get a decent picture, ghosting on the image, blurriness.. colour
> bleed.
>
> So I whipped it out (the card that is) and swapped it for a 9200 I bought
as
> a spare for emergencies (always pays to have a backup), the results are
> amazing, perfect picture on the tv.. the flickering has gone and there are
> no red pixels on the screen anymore.
>
> Any ideas if the 8500 is fixable, it does give much better performance in
> games.. not that I use this pc for games anymore.. I've got a much faster
> one with a 9700 in it for that.
>
> regards

"Heckler ²°°³" <spam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My old trusty 8500 has reached the end of it's usefulness I think.... my
> fist 128MB vid card some 3yrs ago has started exhibiting unusual flaws.
>
> Firstly, I started getting a flickering around the edges of open
> applications in XP, no matter what resolution. The I noticed that when the
> starfield screensaver kicked in it would leave small red dots randomly
> around the screen.. and occasionally on the desktop to (I use a plain
black
> background)
>
> Then when I moved this pc (file server) and hooked it up to the TV I
> couldn't get a decent picture, ghosting on the image, blurriness.. colour
> bleed.
>
> So I whipped it out (the card that is) and swapped it for a 9200 I bought
as
> a spare for emergencies (always pays to have a backup), the results are
> amazing, perfect picture on the tv.. the flickering has gone and there are
> no red pixels on the screen anymore.
>
> Any ideas if the 8500 is fixable, it does give much better performance in
> games.. not that I use this pc for games anymore.. I've got a much faster
> one with a 9700 in it for that.
>
> regards

If your card is a retail built-by-ati card then send it to them for
replacement, the warranty is for 5 years.

"Daniel Czajko" <fatone76@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Put the 8500 in a different machine just to confirm that it is the card
and
> not some driver corruption

Yeah I have done, same problem in two machines... I did have to replace the
fan on it a while back.. but some of the problems had already started before
then, and the fan wasn't broken as such... just rattling.

As for the warranty as another suggested.. it was an OEM card I'm afraid.

check out http://motherboardrepair.com

Heckler ²°°³ wrote:
> "Daniel Czajko" <fatone76@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Put the 8500 in a different machine just to confirm that it is the card
>
> and
>
>>not some driver corruption
>

> Yeah I have done, same problem in two machines... I did have to replace the
> fan on it a while back.. but some of the problems had already started before
> then, and the fan wasn't broken as such... just rattling.
>
> As for the warranty as another suggested.. it was an OEM card I'm afraid.

Mark H --- Frag on !
NF7-S v2.0 Win2k-sp4
WinXp-sp2rc2

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 19:45:50 -0400, Mark H <banditt_1@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>check out http://motherboardrepair.com

That's Homie© 's site, you can find and talk to him any day on the
Abit MOBO group.

>Heckler ²°°³ wrote:
>> "Daniel Czajko" <fatone76@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Put the 8500 in a different machine just to confirm that it is the card

>> and

>>>not some driver corruption

>> Yeah I have done, same problem in two machines... I did have to replace the
>> fan on it a while back.. but some of the problems had already started before
>> then, and the fan wasn't broken as such... just rattling.

>> As for the warranty as another suggested.. it was an OEM card I'm afraid.

BoroLad