ATI Radeon 9600XT extending desktop (dual head) with two f..

Hello,

I recently bought a Sony Vaio RZ504 desktop computer that has the ATI Radeon
9600XT graphics card. I have two flatpanel monitors and would like to use
the second one to extend my primary's monitor desktop to(dual head). I now
have one monitor attached with DVI cable, and the other one with the VGA
cable, but now I see my desktop on both monitors. Before I bought my second
flat panel I was told by many people in forums and newsgroups that I simply
could use a DVI-VGA adapter to extend my desktop (dual head), so I went out
to buy one and it still didn't allow me to extend my desktop. I think the
adapter I bought was the wrong one (the DVI cable did fit, but it looked
like the adapter was the wrong one for my DVI-D cable). I went back to the
store and they told me that they didn't have another one and that there are
different types of DVI-D cables. They told me that I should look more into
the display properties but I see no option at all to extend my desktop. Now
I am wondering if is possible at all to extend my desktop from one flatpanel
to another, since it isn't mentioned on the properties pages. It did say
something about XP having the option to extend the desktop, but I cannot
find any further info on that. Wilt my Matrox card this was so easy to do,
but with this card it seems impossible? If it is possible, what adapter do I
need exactly?

In this review (http://www.tweaknews.net/reviews/9600xt/index5.php) it says:
'There is a VGA (15 pin D-Sub), DVI and an S-Video (TV out). You can easily
run dual VGA monitors with this card, just by using a DVD-VGA adapter.' Did
they actually mean to type DVD-VGA adapter, or did they mean to type DVI-VGA
adapter? Should I be able to extend my desktop with a DVD-VGA adapter?

Here (http://www.svc.com/ati-r9600xt-rbx.html) I read:

'Display Support
VGA connector for analog CRT
S-video connector for TV / VCR 1
DVI-I connector for digital flat panel 2
Independent resolutions and refresh rates for any two connected displays
1 Optional S-Video to Composite Adapter available separately from ATI Online
Store.
2 Optional DVI to VGA adapter allows connection to a second VGA monitor.
Available separately from your retailer or the ATI Online Store.'

It doesn't say anything about two flat panel monitors. I'm not sure what
they mean with '2' in 'DVI-I connector for digital flat panel 2'.

If not, what are my other options? I don't see any use in connecting two
flat panel screens that display exactly the same desktop. Is there ANY way
to extend my desktop with two flat panel monitors? Or would it be possible
with a LCD television? Or would the television also display the same
desktop?

I'm very confused.. Hope someone can tell me more about this!

Cheers,

Rik.
12 answers Last reply
More about radeon 9600xt extending desktop dual head

    You need to open up your display properties (control panel for ATI) and
    have a look at two things first: Display Properties/Settings page,
    shows you have two displays, right? Next, click on Advanced, then the
    Displays tab. Somewhere in there you uncheck the option for CLONE
    desktop. Now you can open something and drag it over to the second
    monitor.
    You can also download and try out UltraMon, a utility to give you just
    the kinds of things you're looking for with two displays.
    McG.

    Rik wrote:
> [...]

    > > there ANY way to extend my desktop with two flat panel monitors? Or
    > > would it be possible with a LCD television? Or would the television
    > > also display the same desktop?
    > >
    > > I'm very confused.. Hope someone can tell me more about this!
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > >
    > > Rik.

    > You need to open up your display properties (control panel for ATI) and
    > have a look at two things first: Display Properties/Settings page,
    > shows you have two displays, right? Next, click on Advanced, then the
    > Displays tab. Somewhere in there you uncheck the option for CLONE
    > desktop. Now you can open something and drag it over to the second
    > monitor.
    > You can also download and try out UltraMon, a utility to give you just
    > the kinds of things you're looking for with two displays.

    I know what you mean but I don't have that option. All I can do is set a
    monitor as primary. On the Overlay tab there is a button 'Clone Mode
    Options', but that only allows me to change the Theatre Mode into 'Standard'
    or 'Same on All'. None of the options extend my desktop :-(

    I will look for UltraMon, but I figure that the graphic card has to support
    it in order for it to work? And it looks like extending the desktop is not
    an option.

    Rik.

    > You can also download and try out UltraMon, a utility to give you just
    > the kinds of things you're looking for with two displays.

    Unfortunately UltraMon doesn't work for me either. After I installed it it
    said it detected only 1 monitor, while both of my monitors were attached
    (one in DVI and one in VGA). I read the help-files and it said that if you
    get the 'only a single monitor detected'-error you need to change to
    'independent displays mode'.. And that's the problem; I can't! :-(

    Rik.

    "Rik" <rik.removethis@globalinsites.nl> wrote in message
> [...]
    > 1 Optional S-Video to Composite Adapter available separately from ATI
    Online
    > Store.
    > 2 Optional DVI to VGA adapter allows connection to a second VGA monitor.
    > Available separately from your retailer or the ATI Online Store.'
    >
    > It doesn't say anything about two flat panel monitors. I'm not sure what
    > they mean with '2' in 'DVI-I connector for digital flat panel 2'.
    >
    > If not, what are my other options? I don't see any use in connecting two
    > flat panel screens that display exactly the same desktop. Is there ANY way
    > to extend my desktop with two flat panel monitors? Or would it be possible
    > with a LCD television? Or would the television also display the same
    > desktop?
    >
    > I'm very confused.. Hope someone can tell me more about this!

    What version of the Catalyst drivers are you using? I don't have a problem
    extending my desktop, and I have used two CRTs, a CRT and an LCD, and a CRT
    and an HDTV...

    I have seen it done many times with two LCDs as well.

    Are you scrolling down and selecting the #2 display under "Display
    Properties"/"Settings", and then selecting "Extend my Windows desktop onto
    this monitor"? If this is the case then you should not have access to any
    clone mode options...

> [...]
    way
    > > to extend my desktop with two flat panel monitors? Or would it be
    possible
    > > with a LCD television? Or would the television also display the same
    > > desktop?
    > >
    > > I'm very confused.. Hope someone can tell me more about this!
    >
    > What version of the Catalyst drivers are you using? I don't have a
    problem
    > extending my desktop, and I have used two CRTs, a CRT and an LCD, and a
    CRT
    > and an HDTV...
    >
    > I have seen it done many times with two LCDs as well.
    >
    > Are you scrolling down and selecting the #2 display under "Display
    > Properties"/"Settings", and then selecting "Extend my Windows desktop onto
    > this monitor"? If this is the case then you should not have access to any

    If I go to my Ati Radeon 9600 in Device Manager it says Driver Version
    6.14.10.6396, but I don't see anything mentioned about Catalyst. Perhaps I
    should look elsewhere?

    If I right click on my desktop and go to properties, then go to Settings,
    then I see only one image of a monitor and below it says Multiple Monitors
    on ATI RADEON 9600 series. If I then click on Advanced and click the
    Displays tab I see three images: a CRT monitor, a TV and a Flat Panel
    monitor. Both the Monitor and FPD buttons are green (enabled). The FPD is
    set as primary with the round icon (I learned that the round icon sets it as
    primary from the help files). If I set the FPD as primary then the prima
    icon for Monitor automatically switches to the Clone icon (so it clones the
    primary screen to the second one). There is nowehere an option to 'Extend my

    > If I go to my Ati Radeon 9600 in Device Manager it says Driver Version
    > 6.14.10.6396, but I don't see anything mentioned about Catalyst. Perhaps I
    > should look elsewhere?

    This is the Catalyst version number for Catalyst driver version 3.9, the
    latest Catalyst drivers available are 4.7...

    www.ati.com

    "Download latest CATALYST T for Windows XP (29MB) - Version 4.7"

    > If I right click on my desktop and go to properties, then go to Settings,
    > then I see only one image of a monitor and below it says Multiple Monitors
    > on ATI RADEON 9600 series. If I then click on Advanced and click the
    > Displays tab I see three images: a CRT monitor, a TV and a Flat Panel
    > monitor. Both the Monitor and FPD buttons are green (enabled). The FPD is
    > set as primary with the round icon (I learned that the round icon sets it
    as
    > primary from the help files). If I set the FPD as primary then the prima
    > icon for Monitor automatically switches to the Clone icon (so it clones
    the
    > primary screen to the second one). There is nowehere an option to 'Extend
    my
    > Windows desktop onto this monitor'.

    If you update to the latest Catalysts, then the instructions that I gave
    should be correct. It has been so long since I used the 3.9 Catalysts that
    I couldn't be of help there...

    Download the Cat 4.7s, go to "Add/Remove Programs" in the control panel and
    remove the ATI Control panel ( don't reboot ) and then the ATI Display
    Driver ( reboot ), Double-click the Cat 4.7 package and follow install
    instructions. Choose "Express Installation"...

    "newsgroups.bellsouth.net" <char3091@bellsouth.net> schreef in bericht
    > "Rik" <rik.removethis@globalinsites.nl> wrote in message
    > > If I go to my Ati Radeon 9600 in Device Manager it says Driver Version
    > > 6.14.10.6396, but I don't see anything mentioned about Catalyst. Perhaps
    > > should look elsewhere?
    >
    > This is the Catalyst version number for Catalyst driver version 3.9, the
    > latest Catalyst drivers available are 4.7...
    >
    > www.ati.com
    >
    > "Download latest CATALYST T for Windows XP (29MB) - Version 4.7"
    >

    > > If I right click on my desktop and go to properties, then go to
    Settings,
    > > then I see only one image of a monitor and below it says Multiple
    Monitors
    > > on ATI RADEON 9600 series. If I then click on Advanced and click the
    > > Displays tab I see three images: a CRT monitor, a TV and a Flat Panel
    > > monitor. Both the Monitor and FPD buttons are green (enabled). The FPD
    is
    > > set as primary with the round icon (I learned that the round icon sets
    it
    > as
    > > primary from the help files). If I set the FPD as primary then the prima
    > > icon for Monitor automatically switches to the Clone icon (so it clones
    > the
    > > primary screen to the second one). There is nowehere an option to
    'Extend
    > my
    > > Windows desktop onto this monitor'.
    >
    > If you update to the latest Catalysts, then the instructions that I gave
    > should be correct. It has been so long since I used the 3.9 Catalysts
    that
    > I couldn't be of help there...
    >
    > Download the Cat 4.7s, go to "Add/Remove Programs" in the control panel
    and
    > remove the ATI Control panel ( don't reboot ) and then the ATI Display
    > Driver ( reboot ), Double-click the Cat 4.7 package and follow install
    > instructions. Choose "Express Installation"...

    In Add/Remove Programs I have:

    ATI software uninstall utility
    ATI control panel
    ATI display driver

    You didn't mention 'ATI software uninstall utility'. Don't I have to remove
    that one? If I do have to remove it, do I remove that one first, or?

    Thanks,

    > In Add/Remove Programs I have:
    >
    > ATI software uninstall utility
    > ATI control panel
    > ATI display driver
    >
    > You didn't mention 'ATI software uninstall utility'. Don't I have to
    remove
    > that one? If I do have to remove it, do I remove that one first, or?

    I forgot about that one...

    It is not necessary to remove it, last time I did it uninstalled my ATI
    DoubleCross demo...

    newsgroups.bellsouth.net wrote:
    > "Rik" <rik.removethis@globalinsites.nl> wrote in message
    >> In Add/Remove Programs I have:
    >>
    >> ATI software uninstall utility
    >> ATI control panel
    >> ATI display driver
    >>
    >> You didn't mention 'ATI software uninstall utility'. Don't I have to
    >> remove that one? If I do have to remove it, do I remove that one
    >> first, or?
    >
    > I forgot about that one...
    >
    > It is not necessary to remove it, last time I did it uninstalled my
    > ATI DoubleCross demo...

    It does ask "Do you want to completely remove ALL ATi software?" I
    thought about that a bit before clicking YES....
    McG.

    > > In Add/Remove Programs I have:
    > >
    > > ATI software uninstall utility
    > > ATI control panel
    > > ATI display driver
    > >
    > > You didn't mention 'ATI software uninstall utility'. Don't I have to
    > remove
    > > that one? If I do have to remove it, do I remove that one first, or?
    >
    > I forgot about that one...
    >
    > It is not necessary to remove it, last time I did it uninstalled my ATI
    > DoubleCross demo...

    I installed the latest drivers and I can now extend my desktop!! I am sooo
    happy with this! I have been working with an extended desktop for years and
    would have hated to work with only one monitor on my new computer.

    Someone told me that I should use HydraVision, but it's unclear to me if I
    can use that with my graphics card. My card is not mentioned on this page:
    http://www.ati.com/companyinfo/glossary/hydravision/products.html. It says
    'The following ATI products feature HYDRAVISIONT: ', does that mean that it
    is supported for those products, or that it just comes with those products?

    I now have UltraMon installed. I'm not sure what the differences are between
    HydraVision and UltraMon (except that HydraVision is free I think, and
    UltraMon isn't).

    Rik.

    Rik wrote:
    >>> In Add/Remove Programs I have:
    >>>
    >>> ATI software uninstall utility
    >>> ATI control panel
    >>> ATI display driver
    >>>
    >>> You didn't mention 'ATI software uninstall utility'. Don't I have
    >>> to remove that one? If I do have to remove it, do I remove that one
    >>> first, or?
    >>
    >> I forgot about that one...
    >>
    >> It is not necessary to remove it, last time I did it uninstalled my
    >> ATI DoubleCross demo...
    >
    > I installed the latest drivers and I can now extend my desktop!! I am
    > sooo happy with this! I have been working with an extended desktop
    > for years and would have hated to work with only one monitor on my
    > new computer.
    >
    > Someone told me that I should use HydraVision, but it's unclear to me
    > if I can use that with my graphics card. My card is not mentioned on
    > this page:
    > http://www.ati.com/companyinfo/glossary/hydravision/products.html. It
    > says 'The following ATI products feature HYDRAVISIONT: ', does that
    > mean that it is supported for those products, or that it just comes
    > with those products?
    >
    > I now have UltraMon installed. I'm not sure what the differences are
    > between HydraVision and UltraMon (except that HydraVision is free I
    > think, and UltraMon isn't).
    >
    > Rik.

    UltraMon gives you some options and ease of use that hydravision
    doesn't. I like that UM remembers where and how different apps windows
    were used and keeps putting them there. It also has a 'smart taskbar'
    feature, puts a taskbar in both screens.
    McG.

    On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 01:19:59 GMT, "McGrandpa"
    <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:

    >newsgroups.bellsouth.net wrote:
    >> "Rik" <rik.removethis@globalinsites.nl> wrote in message
    >>> In Add/Remove Programs I have:
    >>>
    >>> ATI software uninstall utility
    >>> ATI control panel
    >>> ATI display driver
    >>>
    >>> You didn't mention 'ATI software uninstall utility'. Don't I have to
    >>> remove that one? If I do have to remove it, do I remove that one
    >>> first, or?
    >>
    >> I forgot about that one...
    >>
    >> It is not necessary to remove it, last time I did it uninstalled my
    >> ATI DoubleCross demo...
    >
    >It does ask "Do you want to completely remove ALL ATi software?" I
    >thought about that a bit before clicking YES....
    >McG.

    I always find it very useful to run the ATI software uninstall utility
    after uninstalling driver components, as it removes the components
    that the uninstall doesn't, and leaves your system reasonably clean
    for upgrade. But, as newsgroups.bellsouth.net noticed, it tends to
    remove all Ati software, so needs to be used judiciously. It's just
    the cat-uninstaller.exe which is run by choosing uninstall for it.

    Certainly, if you don't have any other Ati software on your system,
    I'd recommend using after an uninstall (not instead of) to get your
    system effectively clean.

    patrickp

Radeon Desktops Monitors ATI Graphics