16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem

I had several programs that worked fine, until I disconnected my RoadRunner
modem and reconnected. This disconnect/reconnect was done per TimeWarner to
enable my system to be capable of their new enhanced "speed".

Two of my dos .exe programs will not work. I get a box with the above
subject message and below is what is in the box:

"C:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for
running MS-DOS and Microsoft windows applications. Choose "close" to
terminate the application".

Any suggestions as to how I can fix this problem. Thanks in advance.
3 answers Last reply
More about subsystem

    Seems to be an epidemic lately....

    This can be caused by a trojan.

    Get rid of the trojan.

    Update your antivirus software and run a full system scan.

    Copy the autoexec.nt file from C:\Windows\Repair to C:\Windows\System32.
    And set Attributes for autoexec.nt to Read-only.

    Read-only
    [[Specifies whether this file is read-only, which means that it cannot be
    changed or accidentally deleted.]]

    1. Right click the file.
    2. Properties.
    3. Select: ? Read-only.
    4. Click: Apply.
    5. Click: OK.

    16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem error while installing or running a DOS application
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/16bit.htm

    MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based program Error Message
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit

    Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based
    program
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:MfJNd.9047$XY5.493@fe2.columbus.rr.com,
    fgravelle@woh.rr.com <fgravelle@woh.rr.com> hunted and pecked:

    fgravelle@woh.rr.com wrote:

    > I had several programs that worked fine, until I disconnected my
    > RoadRunner
    > modem and reconnected. This disconnect/reconnect was done per
    > TimeWarner to enable my system to be capable of their new enhanced
    > "speed".
    >
    > Two of my dos .exe programs will not work. I get a box with the above
    > subject message and below is what is in the box:
    >
    > "C:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for
    > running MS-DOS and Microsoft windows applications. Choose "close" to
    > terminate the application".
    >
    > Any suggestions as to how I can fix this problem. Thanks in advance.

    Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit
    Windows-based program:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767&Product=winxp

    This can also be caused by malware.

    Also, AVAST (antivirus software) can be the cause if you have WinXP SP2
    installed:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=8PCdnSzBqtmadsPcRVn-gQ%40comcast.com

    You can put back the standard version of autoexec.nt/config.nt by
    copying a backup copy held in %windir%\repair\ to %windir%\system32\
    (%windir% is typically C:\Windows) instead of using the procedure in
    the KB article above.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    AUTOEXEC.NT Fix Method 1:
    copy; c:\windows\repair\autoexec.nt
    c:\windows\system32

    AUTOEXEC.NT FIX Method 2:
    Go to; Start --> Run
    enter; cmd.exe

    { assuming the WinXP CDROM disk is in drive "D:" }
    In the Command Prompt enter...
    expand D:\i386\autoexec.nt_ %windir%\system32\autoexec.nt

    Since there are many forms of malware that can cause a problem with AUTOEXEC.NT, please
    perform the following...

    1) Download the following three items...

    Trend Sysclean Package

    Latest Trend Pattern File.

    Adaware SE (free personal version v1.05)
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    Create a directory.
    On drive "C:\"
    (e.g., "c:\New Folder")
    or the desktop

    Download Sysclean.com and place it in that directory.
    Download the Trend Pattern File by obtaining the ZIP file.
    For example; lpt394.zip

    sysclean.com.

    2) Update Adaware with the latest definitions.
    3) Disable System Restore
    4) Reboot your PC into Safe Mode
    5) Using both the Trend Sysclean utility and Adaware, perform a Full Scan of your
    platform and clean/delete any infectors/parasites found.
    (a few cycles may be needed)
    6) Restart your PC and perform a "final" Full Scan of your platform using both the
    Trend Sysclean utility and Adaware
    7) Re-enable System Restore and re-apply any System Restore preferences,
    (e.g. HD space to use suggested 400 ~ 600MB),
    8) Reboot your PC.
    9) Create a new Restore point

    * * * Please report your results ! * * *

    Dave

    <fgravelle@woh.rr.com> wrote in message news:MfJNd.9047$XY5.493@fe2.columbus.rr.com...
    | I had several programs that worked fine, until I disconnected my RoadRunner
    | modem and reconnected. This disconnect/reconnect was done per TimeWarner to
    | enable my system to be capable of their new enhanced "speed".
    |
    | Two of my dos .exe programs will not work. I get a box with the above
    | subject message and below is what is in the box:
    |
    | "C:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for
    | running MS-DOS and Microsoft windows applications. Choose "close" to
    | terminate the application".
    |
    | Any suggestions as to how I can fix this problem. Thanks in advance.

Connection Microsoft Windows XP