Opinion: Can Xbox Live and Windows 8 Work Together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
I don’t believe the touch interface will make sense for most computers sold next year.
Has it been confirmed that Windows 8 is going to be sold on desktop PCs? I'm still under the assumption Windows 8, (which is really just Windows 7 + a touch screen interface), is intended solely for tablets and/or laptops with touch screens. It seems to make more sense to sell tablets and laptops that have touch screens with Windows 8, and all non touch interfaced PC's such as desktops with Windows 7.

I sure as hell have no interest in fingerprinting the crap out of my desktop monitor. I'm so OCD against fingerprints that I haven't once touched the screen of my Samsung 23" LED monitor since I bought it last year.

wikiwikiwhat

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
[citation][nom]BlackHawk91[/nom]Opinion: Can Pc gamers and x-box 360 gamers co-exit under the same platform?[/citation]

So I can't coexist with myself? I mean, I play both and am going to own BF3 in both PC and 360. 360 is my sports channel to gaming and PC is more my RTS channel to gaming.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
Fundamentally changing a successful product like Windows 7 is a bad idea. Yes, it could be a success. It could also be a complete and utter failure.

Instead of trying to reshape Windows as a whole, why not build on what we already have, instead? Everyone loves Windows 7. At least that's what I'm seeing. So why are we deviating away from what we know is a success? Improve on the foundation you already have instead of adding gimmicks that you're not sure will even work.

I know already I won't be buying Windows 8, just because I don't have any problems whatsoever with Windows 7. It's easy, fast, sleek, and functional... and maybe that's exactly why Microsoft is doing this. They know people won't want to upgrade and so feel they need to change something in order for people to feel it's a useful investment. And that's just not the right way to look at it - changing things for no good reason is NEVER a good idea.

At this point, it appears as if they've run out of worthwhile improvements and are just trying to release something as soon as possible to get a new product on the market. That is exactly why it's going to fail.

Just my $0.02 for what it's worth.
-Matt

suture

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
Well, as said a zillion times before ppl can still use keyboard and mouse to use the interface (and turn it off btw)
The real question is: Can we finally use a gamepad to play some console exclusive games in win8?
Maybe the future its a "steamlike" (in this case xboxlive cross platform with really good console/pc/mobile games?
I dont mean ALL the games should be played crossplatform in the same servers (ex: fps)
But and the other games? beat'em'ups, platforms, rpg's etc why not? that would be awesome!

zankuto

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
[citation][nom]wikiwikiwhat[/nom]So I can't coexist with myself? I mean, I play both and am going to own BF3 in both PC and 360. 360 is my sports channel to gaming and PC is more my RTS channel to gaming.[/citation]
I think he is referring to cross-platform gaming not just simply being in the same community. Last time microsoft tried this experiment PC gamers' mice whipped the 360s gamers' controllers so bad they discontinued the idea.

jonainpdx

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
I heard they are leaving Win 8 with DX11. If so, why bother upgrading to Windows 8?

They should just make a Windows 7.5 as an upgrade. People and businesses are still stuck in XP. They are making the change cycle to fast. Windows 7 still feels fresh to me.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
[citation][nom]aaron88_7[/nom]Has it been confirmed that Windows 8 is going to be sold on desktop PCs? I'm still under the assumption Windows 8, (which is really just Windows 7 + a touch screen interface), is intended solely for tablets and/or laptops with touch screens. It seems to make more sense to sell tablets and laptops that have touch screens with Windows 8, and all non touch interfaced PC's such as desktops with Windows 7. I sure as hell have no interest in fingerprinting the crap out of my desktop monitor. I'm so OCD against fingerprints that I haven't once touched the screen of my Samsung 23" LED monitor since I bought it last year.[/citation]
8 will have the ability to mount .iso images. Tell me how many times you've had to do that with a tablet. Windows 8 will definitely be released for the PC- but its focus will be tablets. Frankly I think Microsoft is running out of ideas for new features to be added to their OSes. Besides new APIs (everyone loves those) and optimizing their code further there really isn't anything else you can do to Windows besides make it run on more platforms.

malphas

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
[citation][nom]aaron88_7[/nom]Has it been confirmed that Windows 8 is going to be sold on desktop PCs? I'm still under the assumption Windows 8, (which is really just Windows 7 + a touch screen interface), is intended solely for tablets and/or laptops with touch screens.[/citation]
It's been confirmed from day one it's intended for desktops as well as tablets/laptops. The Metro UI can be disabled.

malphas

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
[citation][nom]someguynamedmatt[/nom]Fundamentally changing a successful product like Windows 7 is a bad idea. Yes, it could be a success. It could also be a complete and utter failure. Instead of trying to reshape Windows as a whole, why not build on what we already have, instead? Everyone loves Windows 7. At least that's what I'm seeing. So why are we deviating away from what we know is a success? Improve on the foundation you already have instead of adding gimmicks that you're not sure will even work.I know already I won't be buying Windows 8, just because I don't have any problems whatsoever with Windows 7. It's easy, fast, sleek, and functional... and maybe that's exactly why Microsoft is doing this. They know people won't want to upgrade and so feel they need to change something in order for people to feel it's a useful investment. And that's just not the right way to look at it - changing things for no good reason is NEVER a good idea. At this point, it appears as if they've run out of worthwhile improvements and are just trying to release something as soon as possible to get a new product on the market. That is exactly why it's going to fail.Just my $0.02 for what it's worth.-Matt[/citation]
Everyone said the exact same things about XP. Microsoft can't afford to just stand still for the sake of people that are afraid of change.

mattmock

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
Microsoft is missing the point, pc gamers don't want the xbox live experience as much as they want the xbox 360 games. Pushing the windows platform while choosing not to publish their AAA games on the PC is just schizophrenic.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
I think wolfgang was hired to stir up a lil controversy on tomshardware. Controversy is great for getting people to comment on the articles and draw people in because people always like to argue.

As with what everyone else is saying about metro... It can be turned off. I don't see it as being a primarily used on desktops.

What would be great is if they made an LCD or OLED touchscreen designed to sit on a desk like a keyboard. I think metro would be great as a secondary control interface. Think Nintendo DS style. Could even design it to tilt on an angle, so that you could place it between the main screen and the keyboard and mouse. I could think of many uses for it.

As far as the XBOX live. At first I wasn't to keen on it, but the idea is starting to grow on me, as many of my games (even some steam games) use the windows live client. I heard you will actually be able to play Xbox 360 (xbox 720?) games on it. So if thats true, I think it's a good idea. Not only will it allow cross platform gaming (which should have been out years ago with "games for windows") but it will also slowly draw customers from the console to the pc. Which I think is great as the more people play PC gaming, the more developers are likely to take PC serious and stop porting garbage. Also, hopefully they will integrate the wireless xbox 360 controller drivers into windows so I don't have to download them anymore.

I'm actually looking forward to windows 8. If I don't like it when it's released, and can always go back to windows 7 ultimate. Been working flawlessly anyways since I put it on my pc.

One thing I would like in windows 8 would be the ability to back up the whole computer, programs and all, onto a small flashdrive or something. Doesn't have to save "Everything" on the flashdrive. Give windows the ability to save games, apps, ver. and settings, and when you do a restore, have it download all the apps, drivers, ect. for you, like steam or ninite does, then apply your settings and save files, ect, pics. BUT PLEASE, NO SYNCING LIKE ITUNES, what a pain in the arse, how come they cant have drag and drop?

Anyways, sorry bout the rant..

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
I've tested win8, and they have a layer which looks like your average win7/vista desktop. In other words, you're not letting go of the desktop background.

My only complaint would be that you can't disable the themes!
The installation screen and icon screen look ugly in the ugly green, and in desktop-mode you're forced with a win7/8/vista theme!

I prefer the classic looks of win 98/2k/ME!

edwinjr

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
I installed build 8102,
it has faster boot time than windows 7 and more responsive explorer
about touch screen interface, you can disable it, very easy.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
What would be cool, is if you could control your XBOX 360 (or whatever system comes next) with your computer, thus effectively turning a 360 game into a PC game.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
[citation][nom]malphas[/nom]Everyone said the exact same things about XP. Microsoft can't afford to just stand still for the sake of people that are afraid of change.[/citation]
Harsh, but... well... you're right. *sigh*

I guess having been around since the beginning, it just hurts me to see Windows steering away from the feel I've come to know. Windows 95 is my home, honestly... WinXP improved on that while keeping the same feel, and Win7 pushed it further. Yet in essence, it feels the same. Yes, there have been changes to this and changes to that, but it's Windows at heart.

Once you push something like Metro into the market, it changes all of that. It's like going from Windows 3.1 to 95. Yes, I know you can revert to something similar to Win7, but that's not the point. The point is that Microsoft is transitioning away from the Windows I've known and loved from the start. I'm just afraid that when Windows 10 rolls around, it'll be like Android with Windows tacked on. And 11 will completely take away that option.

I guess my time of sitting happily by my desktop running Windows 95 has passed. Sorry for the short-sightedness of someone who doesn't want it to fade away.

God, that just made me really sad...

bazoka1942

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
allow across platform games and online play
more and more continent games franchise of xbox360 even 3rd party red dead redemption.... forza not bullshit
add record screen bench fps tester share screen
optimize pc to x86 and dx 11.1 acceleration like gpgpu apk c++ for dx 9 10 cards

dormantreign

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
For me to want windows 8, i would have to be able to play my xbox games directly on windows 8 in my computer. Otherwise i ain't touching 8. Its the only way i would want to leave 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.