ati WDM rage theater video reboot probs

Gday all
I updated to the latest cat 4.7 drivers ,after that when i start the puter
up it goes thru the found new hardware routine and comes to "ati WDM rage
theater video"and reboots it self continually.I have tried various
drivers/uninstalling hardware etc with no joy.Did a format reinstall of XP
and latest drivers for most things s etc sound card etc and still
happening.
specs
P4 2.8
msi 865pe neo2
9600xt 128mb
1gb ddr 400
audigy
XP home

thanks in advance
Staf

ps I only updated the driver because my monitor had started ramdomly turning
itself off, famous last words "hhmm i could fix that..."

JohnS

That is the wrong sequence for installing the video
driver. You need to remove it, and when XP reboots
into simple VGA mode, cancel any search for new
hardware and get to the desktop. Then install the Cat
4.7 driver and reboot. The system will autodetect
the proper settings and you should be OK. Make sure
the mobo chipset drivers are installed.

johns

staf wrote:

> Gday all
> I updated to the latest cat 4.7 drivers ,after that when i start the puter
> up it goes thru the found new hardware routine and comes to "ati WDM rage
> theater video"and reboots it self continually.I have tried various
> drivers/uninstalling hardware etc with no joy.Did a format reinstall of XP
> and latest drivers for most things s etc sound card etc and still
> happening.
> specs
> P4 2.8
> msi 865pe neo2
> 9600xt 128mb
> 1gb ddr 400
> audigy
> XP home
>
> thanks in advance
> Staf
>
> ps I only updated the driver because my monitor had started ramdomly turning
> itself off, famous last words "hhmm i could fix that..."

why are you installing wdm drivers on a non AIW board?

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 00:47:07 +0800, "staf" <staf@(REMOVE)iinet.net.au>
wrote:

>Gday all
>I updated to the latest cat 4.7 drivers ,after that when i start the puter
>up it goes thru the found new hardware routine and comes to "ati WDM rage
>theater video"and reboots it self continually.I have tried various
>drivers/uninstalling hardware etc with no joy.Did a format reinstall of XP
>and latest drivers for most things s etc sound card etc and still
>happening.
>specs
>P4 2.8
>msi 865pe neo2
>9600xt 128mb
>1gb ddr 400
>audigy
>XP home
>
>thanks in advance
>Staf
>
>ps I only updated the driver because my monitor had started ramdomly turning
>itself off, famous last words "hhmm i could fix that..."

You must have one of the cards with VIVO, staf. As well as following
johns' advice, make sure that the driver you are installing is the
"High Speed (Cable/DSL)" version; i.e. with capture drivers and
Control Panel included. If you are trying to install the "Low Speed
(Dial-up)" display driver, that does not include the capture driver or
Control Panel - you'll have to dl and install these separately.

You need the capture driver to enable the ATI WDM Rage Theatre Video
and ATI WDM Specialized MVD Codec devices.

patrickp

"patrickp" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 00:47:07 +0800, "staf" <staf@(REMOVE)iinet.net.au>
> wrote:
>
> >Gday all
> >I updated to the latest cat 4.7 drivers ,after that when i start the
puter
> >up it goes thru the found new hardware routine and comes to "ati WDM rage
> >theater video"and reboots it self continually.I have tried various
> >drivers/uninstalling hardware etc with no joy.Did a format reinstall of
XP
> >and latest drivers for most things s etc sound card etc and still
> >happening.
> >specs
> >P4 2.8
> >msi 865pe neo2
> >9600xt 128mb
> >1gb ddr 400
> >audigy
> >XP home
> >
> >thanks in advance
> >Staf
> >
> >ps I only updated the driver because my monitor had started ramdomly
turning
> >itself off, famous last words "hhmm i could fix that..."
> >

> You must have one of the cards with VIVO, staf. As well as following
> johns' advice, make sure that the driver you are installing is the
> "High Speed (Cable/DSL)" version; i.e. with capture drivers and
> Control Panel included. If you are trying to install the "Low Speed
> (Dial-up)" display driver, that does not include the capture driver or
> Control Panel - you'll have to dl and install these separately.
>
> You need the capture driver to enable the ATI WDM Rage Theatre Video
> and ATI WDM Specialized MVD Codec devices.
>
> patrickp
>
> patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me

Gday all
ill give those ideas a go,i dont want to install WDM drivers but after i
installed the new drivers it picks it up on reboot then starts the detect
new hardware comes to the "found new hdware "Ati wdm rage theater video"
then reboot .
cheers
Staf

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 08:30:00 +0800, "staf" <staf@(REMOVE)iinet.net.au>
wrote:

>"patrickp" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 00:47:07 +0800, "staf" <staf@(REMOVE)iinet.net.au>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Gday all
>> >I updated to the latest cat 4.7 drivers ,after that when i start the
>puter
>> >up it goes thru the found new hardware routine and comes to "ati WDM rage
>> >theater video"and reboots it self continually.I have tried various
>> >drivers/uninstalling hardware etc with no joy.Did a format reinstall of
>XP
>> >and latest drivers for most things s etc sound card etc and still
>> >happening.
>> >specs
>> >P4 2.8
>> >msi 865pe neo2
>> >9600xt 128mb
>> >1gb ddr 400
>> >audigy
>> >XP home
>> >
>> >thanks in advance
>> >Staf
>> >
>> >ps I only updated the driver because my monitor had started ramdomly
>turning
>> >itself off, famous last words "hhmm i could fix that..."
>> >

>> You must have one of the cards with VIVO, staf. As well as following
>> johns' advice, make sure that the driver you are installing is the
>> "High Speed (Cable/DSL)" version; i.e. with capture drivers and
>> Control Panel included. If you are trying to install the "Low Speed
>> (Dial-up)" display driver, that does not include the capture driver or
>> Control Panel - you'll have to dl and install these separately.
>>
>> You need the capture driver to enable the ATI WDM Rage Theatre Video
>> and ATI WDM Specialized MVD Codec devices.
>>
>> patrickp
>>
>> patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me
>
>Gday all
>ill give those ideas a go,i dont want to install WDM drivers but after i
>installed the new drivers it picks it up on reboot then starts the detect
>new hardware comes to the "found new hdware "Ati wdm rage theater video"
>then reboot .
>cheers
>Staf

You need to install the capture driver to enable proper functionality
of your card, Staf. Cancel out of the New Hardware wizard when it
comes up; don't let it follow through. Download the capture driver
equivalent to your display driver, from wherever you got the display
driver, and run it by double-clicking the .exe file or selecting it in
the Run box. Now your PC will reboot, find the devices the driver is
for and install them. If you then don't want to use the Video
In/capture capabilities, you don't have to, although they are
extremely useful.

You bought a card with VIVO capabilities. If you feel that badly
about having them, I'd advise looking around for a 9600XT that doesn't
have those capabilities. A Built by Ati or Sapphire card doesn't. Is
it an ASUS card that you have? I was rather disappointed with the one
I got; 2D definitely didn't seem to be up to Ati standards. Then I
got a Sapphire 9600 Pro VIVO (I had a helluva time finding a VIVO one,
too; VIVO is an extremely useful capability to have) and am much
happier with it.

> On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 08:30:00 +0800, "staf" <staf@(REMOVE)iinet.net.au>
> wrote:
>

> >"patrickp" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

> >puter
> >XP

> >turning
> >> >

> >> You must have one of the cards with VIVO, staf. As well as following
> >> johns' advice, make sure that the driver you are installing is the
> >> "High Speed (Cable/DSL)" version; i.e. with capture drivers and
> >> Control Panel included. If you are trying to install the "Low Speed
> >> (Dial-up)" display driver, that does not include the capture driver or
> >> Control Panel - you'll have to dl and install these separately.
> >>
> >> You need the capture driver to enable the ATI WDM Rage Theatre Video
> >> and ATI WDM Specialized MVD Codec devices.
> >>
> >> patrickp
> >>
> >> patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me
> >
> >Gday all
> >ill give those ideas a go,i dont want to install WDM drivers but after i
> >installed the new drivers it picks it up on reboot then starts the detect
> >new hardware comes to the "found new hdware "Ati wdm rage theater video"
> >then reboot .
> >cheers
> >Staf
> >

> You need to install the capture driver to enable proper functionality
> of your card, Staf. Cancel out of the New Hardware wizard when it
> comes up; don't let it follow through. Download the capture driver
> equivalent to your display driver, from wherever you got the display
> driver, and run it by double-clicking the .exe file or selecting it in
> the Run box. Now your PC will reboot, find the devices the driver is
> for and install them. If you then don't want to use the Video
> In/capture capabilities, you don't have to, although they are
> extremely useful.
>
> You bought a card with VIVO capabilities. If you feel that badly
> about having them, I'd advise looking around for a 9600XT that doesn't
> have those capabilities. A Built by Ati or Sapphire card doesn't. Is
> it an ASUS card that you have? I was rather disappointed with the one
> I got; 2D definitely didn't seem to be up to Ati standards. Then I
> got a Sapphire 9600 Pro VIVO (I had a helluva time finding a VIVO one,
> too; VIVO is an extremely useful capability to have) and am much
> happier with it.
>
> patrickp
>
> patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me

Gday
That was one of the problems,i dont have a VIVO card only video out, nowhere
on box or manual does it mention this VIVO.
I ended up fixing it by d/ling the cat 4.7 and doing a custom install
leaving out the multi media drivers and all was fine.Also i have a TV card
which already has option for video in so i dont realy need this option (mite
be nice to have it tho)

cheeers for replies
Staf

"stafo" <pugpep@REMOVEiinet.net.au> wrote in message

> "patrickp" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> > On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 08:30:00 +0800, "staf" <staf@(REMOVE)iinet.net.au>
> > wrote:
> >

> > >"patrickp" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
<staf@(REMOVE)iinet.net.au>

> > >puter
> rage
> of
> > >XP

> > >turning

> > >Gday all
> > >ill give those ideas a go,i dont want to install WDM drivers but after
> > >installed the new drivers it picks it up on reboot then starts the
detect
> > >new hardware comes to the "found new hdware "Ati wdm rage theater
video"
> > >then reboot .
> > >cheers
> > >Staf
> > >

> > You need to install the capture driver to enable proper functionality
> > of your card, Staf. Cancel out of the New Hardware wizard when it
> > comes up; don't let it follow through. Download the capture driver
> > equivalent to your display driver, from wherever you got the display
> > driver, and run it by double-clicking the .exe file or selecting it in
> > the Run box. Now your PC will reboot, find the devices the driver is
> > for and install them. If you then don't want to use the Video
> > In/capture capabilities, you don't have to, although they are
> > extremely useful.
> >
> > You bought a card with VIVO capabilities. If you feel that badly
> > about having them, I'd advise looking around for a 9600XT that doesn't
> > have those capabilities. A Built by Ati or Sapphire card doesn't. Is
> > it an ASUS card that you have? I was rather disappointed with the one
> > I got; 2D definitely didn't seem to be up to Ati standards. Then I
> > got a Sapphire 9600 Pro VIVO (I had a helluva time finding a VIVO one,
> > too; VIVO is an extremely useful capability to have) and am much
> > happier with it.
> >
> > patrickp
> >
> > patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me
>
> Gday
> That was one of the problems,i dont have a VIVO card only video out,
nowhere
> on box or manual does it mention this VIVO.
> I ended up fixing it by d/ling the cat 4.7 and doing a custom install
> leaving out the multi media drivers and all was fine.Also i have a TV card
> which already has option for video in so i dont realy need this option
(mite
> be nice to have it tho)
>
> cheeers for replies
> Staf

Well I've got a ATI VIVO card and when it gets replaced it will be with a
non-vivo card as I've found it a pain in the arse when updating drivers etc.
I'll get a stand-alone tv capture card instead.

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 23:22:06 +0800, "stafo"
<pugpep@REMOVEiinet.net.au> wrote:

>"patrickp" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 08:30:00 +0800, "staf" <staf@(REMOVE)iinet.net.au>
>> wrote:
>>

>> >"patrickp" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

>> >puter
>rage
>of
>> >XP

>> >turning

>> >Gday all
>> >ill give those ideas a go,i dont want to install WDM drivers but after i
>> >installed the new drivers it picks it up on reboot then starts the detect
>> >new hardware comes to the "found new hdware "Ati wdm rage theater video"
>> >then reboot .
>> >cheers
>> >Staf
>> >

>> You need to install the capture driver to enable proper functionality
>> of your card, Staf. Cancel out of the New Hardware wizard when it
>> comes up; don't let it follow through. Download the capture driver
>> equivalent to your display driver, from wherever you got the display
>> driver, and run it by double-clicking the .exe file or selecting it in
>> the Run box. Now your PC will reboot, find the devices the driver is
>> for and install them. If you then don't want to use the Video
>> In/capture capabilities, you don't have to, although they are
>> extremely useful.
>>
>> You bought a card with VIVO capabilities. If you feel that badly
>> about having them, I'd advise looking around for a 9600XT that doesn't
>> have those capabilities. A Built by Ati or Sapphire card doesn't. Is
>> it an ASUS card that you have? I was rather disappointed with the one
>> I got; 2D definitely didn't seem to be up to Ati standards. Then I
>> got a Sapphire 9600 Pro VIVO (I had a helluva time finding a VIVO one,
>> too; VIVO is an extremely useful capability to have) and am much
>> happier with it.
>>
>> patrickp
>>
>> patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me
>
>Gday
>That was one of the problems,i dont have a VIVO card only video out, nowhere
>on box or manual does it mention this VIVO.
>I ended up fixing it by d/ling the cat 4.7 and doing a custom install
>leaving out the multi media drivers and all was fine.Also i have a TV card
>which already has option for video in so i dont realy need this option (mite
>be nice to have it tho)
>
>cheeers for replies
>Staf

Who is your 9600 XT made by, then, Staf? Does it have a Rage Theater
chip on the board? I would have thought it would be unlikely that
you'd get the message asking for drivers for ATI WDM Rage Theater
Video if the chip isn't on your card; and if there is one on your
card, then it _is_ a VIVO or AIW card. AIR the ASUS 9600 XT I had
didn't say much on the box; just a small mention of "Video In" lost
amongst a lot of other stuff - that was it! BTW that's what VIVO
means, Video In Video Out. Most Ati cards now have Video Out so,
basically, a VIVO card just has Video In as well.

> On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 23:22:06 +0800, "stafo"
> <pugpep@REMOVEiinet.net.au> wrote:
>

> >"patrickp" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

<staf@(REMOVE)iinet.net.au>

WDM
> >rage
> >of

> >> You need to install the capture driver to enable proper functionality
> >> of your card, Staf. Cancel out of the New Hardware wizard when it
> >> comes up; don't let it follow through. Download the capture driver
> >> equivalent to your display driver, from wherever you got the display
> >> driver, and run it by double-clicking the .exe file or selecting it in
> >> the Run box. Now your PC will reboot, find the devices the driver is
> >> for and install them. If you then don't want to use the Video
> >> In/capture capabilities, you don't have to, although they are
> >> extremely useful.
> >>
> >> You bought a card with VIVO capabilities. If you feel that badly
> >> about having them, I'd advise looking around for a 9600XT that doesn't
> >> have those capabilities. A Built by Ati or Sapphire card doesn't. Is
> >> it an ASUS card that you have? I was rather disappointed with the one
> >> I got; 2D definitely didn't seem to be up to Ati standards. Then I
> >> got a Sapphire 9600 Pro VIVO (I had a helluva time finding a VIVO one,
> >> too; VIVO is an extremely useful capability to have) and am much
> >> happier with it.
> >>
> >> patrickp
> >>
> >> patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me
> >
> >Gday
> >That was one of the problems,i dont have a VIVO card only video out,
nowhere
> >on box or manual does it mention this VIVO.
> >I ended up fixing it by d/ling the cat 4.7 and doing a custom install
> >leaving out the multi media drivers and all was fine.Also i have a TV
card
> >which already has option for video in so i dont realy need this option
(mite
> >be nice to have it tho)
> >
> >cheeers for replies
> >Staf
> >

> Who is your 9600 XT made by, then, Staf? Does it have a Rage Theater
> chip on the board? I would have thought it would be unlikely that
> you'd get the message asking for drivers for ATI WDM Rage Theater
> Video if the chip isn't on your card; and if there is one on your
> card, then it _is_ a VIVO or AIW card. AIR the ASUS 9600 XT I had
> didn't say much on the box; just a small mention of "Video In" lost
> amongst a lot of other stuff - that was it! BTW that's what VIVO
> means, Video In Video Out. Most Ati cards now have Video Out so,
> basically, a VIVO card just has Video In as well.
>
> patrickp
>
> patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me

Gday all
the 9600XT is a powercolor
http://www.cptech.com.tw/Global/productlist.aspx?folderid=1&cat1=12&cat2=2&cat3=183
and i still dont realy know why it tries to install the WDM rage theater
driver.
While its working atm i will let it be.

Staf

ps at least for a few weeks :eek:)
cheers for the help

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 09:49:18 +0800, "stafo"
<pugpep@REMOVEiinet.net.au> wrote:

>"patrickp" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 23:22:06 +0800, "stafo"
>> <pugpep@REMOVEiinet.net.au> wrote:
>>

>> >"patrickp" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

><staf@(REMOVE)iinet.net.au>

>the
>WDM
>> >rage
>reinstall
>> >of

>ramdomly

>following
>or

>detect
>video"

>> >Gday
>> >That was one of the problems,i dont have a VIVO card only video out,
>nowhere
>> >on box or manual does it mention this VIVO.
>> >I ended up fixing it by d/ling the cat 4.7 and doing a custom install
>> >leaving out the multi media drivers and all was fine.Also i have a TV
>card
>> >which already has option for video in so i dont realy need this option
>(mite
>> >be nice to have it tho)
>> >
>> >cheeers for replies
>> >Staf
>> >

>> Who is your 9600 XT made by, then, Staf? Does it have a Rage Theater
>> chip on the board? I would have thought it would be unlikely that
>> you'd get the message asking for drivers for ATI WDM Rage Theater
>> Video if the chip isn't on your card; and if there is one on your
>> card, then it _is_ a VIVO or AIW card. AIR the ASUS 9600 XT I had
>> didn't say much on the box; just a small mention of "Video In" lost
>> amongst a lot of other stuff - that was it! BTW that's what VIVO
>> means, Video In Video Out. Most Ati cards now have Video Out so,
>> basically, a VIVO card just has Video In as well.
>>
>> patrickp
>>
>> patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me
>

>Gday all
>the 9600XT is a powercolor
>http://www.cptech.com.tw/Global/productlist.aspx?folderid=1&cat1=12&cat2=2&cat3=183
>and i still dont realy know why it tries to install the WDM rage theater
>driver.
>While its working atm i will let it be.
>
>Staf
>
>ps at least for a few weeks :eek:)
>cheers for the help

You're welcome, Staf, although it wasn't really much help.

Yes, looking at that and another Powercolor site, I can't see a 9600XT
128MB with Video in: the only 9600XT that has it appears to be the
9600XT 256MB Bravo.

patrickp