am i going blind

February 7, 2005 6:51:55 PM

why can't i see this one?? where is the policy that disables user control
of the windows firewall for xp sp2?

More about : blind

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
February 7, 2005 6:51:56 PM

Look under:
"Computer ConfigurationAdministrative TemplatesNetworkNetwork ConnectionsWindows Firewall".

Managing Windows XP Service Pack 2 Features Using Group Policy
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/m...

Deploying Windows Firewall Settings for Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack 2
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/d...

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Dave" wrote:

| why can't i see this one?? where is the policy that disables user control
| of the windows firewall for xp sp2?
February 7, 2005 7:15:20 PM

thanks, i must be going blind, i thought i was in that one before.

news:o YRmE5SDFHA.4052@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Look under:
> "Computer ConfigurationAdministrative TemplatesNetworkNetwork
ConnectionsWindows Firewall".

> Managing Windows XP Service Pack 2 Features Using Group Policy

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/m...

> Deploying Windows Firewall Settings for Microsoft Windows XP with Service
Pack 2

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/d...

> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...

----

> "Dave" wrote:
>
> | why can't i see this one?? where is the policy that disables user
control
> | of the windows firewall for xp sp2?

February 7, 2005 7:36:32 PM

ok, let the flames fly... our domain admins have disabled the windows
firewall because they think it is causing problems. however, i am going out
on the road and refuse to plug in to hotel or connect to wireless services
unless i know i have a firewall running. is there a way for a computer
admin to override that domain policy setting? i could of course just go an
install a 3rd party firewall, but would rather use what is already there.
if i remove the machine from the domain does that break their policy
control? (kind of last resort, but i don't really need any domain access
from this machine)