reinstalling window xp and window update?

I am going to reinstall my window xp pro and i was wonder once i go to the
internet without going to any site at all except window update will i still
get Infected by virus and other malicious software?
2 answers Last reply
More about reinstalling window window update

    In theory, yes, but highly unlikely if the first thing you do you first turn
    on the Windows firewall (if it isn't already turned on) and then go straight
    to Windows Update after reinstalling XP. I have myself done it many times
    and have never once been infected with a virus or anything else prior to
    installing updates. Don't go anywhere else until you download and install
    all of the updates, especially SP2.

    "ray" wrote:

    > I am going to reinstall my window xp pro and i was wonder once i go to the
    > internet without going to any site at all except window update will i still
    > get Infected by virus and other malicious software?

    yes, you could. you need to have at least a firewall that blocks all
    incoming connections before connecting to the internet. this could be the
    windows firewall, a third party like zonealarm, or a hardware firewall in a
    router.

    "ray" <ray@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am going to reinstall my window xp pro and i was wonder once i go to the
    > internet without going to any site at all except window update will i
    still
    > get Infected by virus and other malicious software?

Security Microsoft Windows XP