reinstalling window xp and window update?

February 7, 2005 12:31:02 PM

I am going to reinstall my window xp pro and i was wonder once i go to the
internet without going to any site at all except window update will i still
get Infected by virus and other malicious software?
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
February 7, 2005 3:59:02 PM

In theory, yes, but highly unlikely if the first thing you do you first turn
on the Windows firewall (if it isn't already turned on) and then go straight
to Windows Update after reinstalling XP. I have myself done it many times
and have never once been infected with a virus or anything else prior to
installing updates. Don't go anywhere else until you download and install
all of the updates, especially SP2.

"ray" wrote:

> I am going to reinstall my window xp pro and i was wonder once i go to the
> internet without going to any site at all except window update will i still
> get Infected by virus and other malicious software?
February 7, 2005 8:37:54 PM

yes, you could. you need to have at least a firewall that blocks all
incoming connections before connecting to the internet. this could be the
windows firewall, a third party like zonealarm, or a hardware firewall in a
router.

!