Enable Security Tab by Group policy (xp Pro)

I wanted to disable the file security tab for some users on a xp pro / 2003
domain and followed the instructions on support.microsoft.com (Q303153).
This has worked but is it possible to apply a group policy to reverse this?

Many thanks in advance
2 answers Last reply
More about enable security group policy

    "Chris Bunting" <chris@cjsb.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    >I wanted to disable the file security tab for some users on a xp pro / 2003
    >domain and followed the instructions on support.microsoft.com (Q303153).
    >This has worked but is it possible to apply a group policy to reverse this?
    >
    > Many thanks in advance

    In step 10 of that article (http://support.microsoft.com/?id=303153), it
    says:

    "Change the permission on this key for the users and/or groups that you
    added in the previous step to "Deny Read." This prevents the user from being
    able to instantiate the needed components to display the Security and
    Sharing tabs. Click OK twice to complete the settings and exit the Group
    Policy Editor."

    So if you remove the ACL entry you made that Denies Read to list of users or
    groups, it should revert back to the default settings. Unless you also went
    and removed or modified the entries that were there before, in addition to
    adding this one. Anyway, you should be able to make this registry change
    through a group policy (and of course, remove or disable the first one.)

    Although I'd say a better way of preventing users from changing permissions
    is to NOT give them Full Control over the folders in question, and consider
    removing the Full Control granted to "CREATOR OWNER" in some areas of the
    filesystem (otherwise users can set permissions on files they create.) The
    steps in that KB article will only limit the graphical interface for the
    security tab, but there are other tools someone might use to set
    permissions.

    --
    Colin Nash
    Microsoft MVP

    Many thanks!

    "Colin Nash [MVP]" <cnash x@x mvps.org> wrote in message

    > "Chris Bunting" <chris@cjsb.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>I wanted to disable the file security tab for some users on a xp pro /
    >>2003 domain and followed the instructions on support.microsoft.com
    >>(Q303153). This has worked but is it possible to apply a group policy to
    >>reverse this?
    >>
    >> Many thanks in advance
    >>

    > In step 10 of that article (http://support.microsoft.com/?id=303153), it
    > says:
    >
    > "Change the permission on this key for the users and/or groups that you
    > added in the previous step to "Deny Read." This prevents the user from
    > being able to instantiate the needed components to display the Security
    > and Sharing tabs. Click OK twice to complete the settings and exit the
    > Group Policy Editor."
    >
    > So if you remove the ACL entry you made that Denies Read to list of users
    > or groups, it should revert back to the default settings. Unless you also
    > went and removed or modified the entries that were there before, in
    > addition to adding this one. Anyway, you should be able to make this
    > registry change through a group policy (and of course, remove or disable
    > the first one.)
    >
    > Although I'd say a better way of preventing users from changing
    > permissions is to NOT give them Full Control over the folders in question,
    > and consider removing the Full Control granted to "CREATOR OWNER" in some
    > areas of the filesystem (otherwise users can set permissions on files they
    > create.) The steps in that KB article will only limit the graphical
    > interface for the security tab, but there are other tools someone might
    > use to set permissions.
    >

    > --
    > Colin Nash
    > Microsoft MVP