HDTV Output Capability on X800 PRO or 9800??

Does anyone know if there is the capability to connect this card to
an HDTV via the RGB ( YPbPr) input on HDTV sets.

I thought I read somewhere that there is even software with the X800
to configure this properly.

Thanks

Joe
9 answers Last reply
More about hdtv output capability x800 9800

    J Wilson wrote:

    > Does anyone know if there is the capability to connect this card to
    > an HDTV via the RGB ( YPbPr) input on HDTV sets.
    >
    > I thought I read somewhere that there is even software with the X800
    > to configure this properly.

    Any of the ATI boards from 8500 on have been able to display on an HDTV
    using component inputs. I believe that earlier models can as well, the
    8500 is the earliest that I'm sure of.

    In some cases the necessary adapter comes with the board, in others you have
    to order it off the ATI web site. The boards will detect the adapter and
    if it is detected then configuration is done the same way as for any other
    display, with appropriate settings appearing "automagically".

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    J Wilson wrote:

    > Does anyone know if there is the capability to connect this card to
    > an HDTV via the RGB ( YPbPr) input on HDTV sets.
    >
    > I thought I read somewhere that there is even software with the X800
    > to configure this properly.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Joe
    I had a x800pro for
    a short while (sent it back). I used the VGA output to drive my
    Samsung DLP set, worked great for playing HDTV files.

    I'm pretty sure an adaptor is shipped with the x800 cards (ATI) to
    convert from 15 pin VGA to component RGB.

    Thanks!

    Just Curious though as to why you sent it back.

    Joe

    J Wilson wrote:
    > Thanks!
    >

    > Just Curious though as to why you sent it back.
    >

    > Joe

    Worked fine, OCed to 537/550 GPU/mem.
    I sent it back because I ordered a x800xt PE, so I had no need
    for the pro. At he time I ordered the pro, the xt wasn't out.

    Jeff B

    All you have to do is get a VGA to component transcoder and use powerstrip
    to set the custom resolution you need for HDTV (do not use the ATI Dongle,
    it will not let you up-convert DVD)

    "J Wilson" <joewilson@rogers.com> wrote in message

    > Does anyone know if there is the capability to connect this card to
    > an HDTV via the RGB ( YPbPr) input on HDTV sets.
    >
    > I thought I read somewhere that there is even software with the X800
    > to configure this properly.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Joe

    While strolling carefully through the minefield that is Usenet, on
    Tue, 13 Jul 2004 09:48:23 GMT, "Chris Liberti" <clibert@pacbell.net>
    wrote:

    >All you have to do is get a VGA to component transcoder and use powerstrip
    >to set the custom resolution you need for HDTV (do not use the ATI Dongle,
    >it will not let you up-convert DVD)

    Is that true component output (i.e. separate channels for RGB) and is
    it significantly better quality than the S-VHS output from my Radeon?
    --
    Tsunami
    "the geek shall inherit the earth"

    Tsunami wrote:

    > While strolling carefully through the minefield that is Usenet, on
    > Tue, 13 Jul 2004 09:48:23 GMT, "Chris Liberti" <clibert@pacbell.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>All you have to do is get a VGA to component transcoder and use powerstrip
    >>to set the custom resolution you need for HDTV (do not use the ATI Dongle,
    >>it will not let you up-convert DVD)
    >
    > Is that true component output (i.e. separate channels for RGB) and is
    > it significantly better quality than the S-VHS output from my Radeon?

    If it's a "true component transcoder" then it is.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    Would it be possible to ditch a standard, computer CRT and just use a HDTV as
    your primary monitor? Are HDTV's multi-synch or fixed frequency? Can they
    display text modes as well as 640x480 and 1024x768? How much would a 25" HDTV
    cost?

    Please respond by email as well as posting because I'm really interested in
    this particular topic (i.e. replacing my CRT w/some sort of HDTC [maybe a
    25"]).

    Wblane wrote:

    > Would it be possible to ditch a standard, computer CRT and just use a HDTV
    > as your primary monitor? Are HDTV's multi-synch or fixed frequency? Can
    > they display text modes as well as 640x480 and 1024x768? How much would a
    > 25" HDTV cost?
    >
    > Please respond by email as well as posting because I'm really interested
    > in this particular topic (i.e. replacing my CRT w/some sort of HDTC [maybe
    > a 25"]).

    If it's the right TV, but quite honestly a 25" HD is not going to be much of
    an improvement over a 21" monitor unless you really want the 16:9 aspect
    ratio.

    As to the rest of your questions, it's a "definite maybe"--you have to read
    the specs on the particular set you're looking at. Some are full-fledged
    PC monitors that also have HD tuners. Others are very limited. As to how
    much a 25" HDTV would cost, did you at least _try_ to Froogle '25" HDTV'?

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Radeon HDTV Configuration Connection ATI Graphics