Ordered the right 9800 Pro?

shawk

Hi all,

Finally ordered a 9800 Pro today from overclockers UK. Went for the
Sapphire 128MB DDR Lite retail (GX-017-SP). States 256bit on the site but
am aware of the confusion over the last few months with Sapphire and others
sending out 128bit cards. Anyone have one of these? Is it 256bit?

Thanks, Shaun

An easy way to recognize the Sapphire 256 bit, is that the 4 memory modules
are in "L" form around the fan; in the 128 bit, the four ones are "in Line"
and Beside the fan.

Just look in www.newegg.com site. The most popular computers store on line
in USA.

Regards.

"Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> escribió en el mensaje
> Hi all,
>
> Finally ordered a 9800 Pro today from overclockers UK. Went for the
> Sapphire 128MB DDR Lite retail (GX-017-SP). States 256bit on the site but
> am aware of the confusion over the last few months with Sapphire and
others
> sending out 128bit cards. Anyone have one of these? Is it 256bit?
>
> Thanks, Shaun

rms

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2003

> Finally ordered a 9800 Pro today from overclockers UK. Went for the
> Sapphire 128MB DDR Lite retail (GX-017-SP). States 256bit on the site but
> am aware of the confusion over the last few months with Sapphire and
others
> sending out 128bit cards. Anyone have one of these? Is it 256bit?

I believe you will be ok. The Lite is built on a 9700pro circuit card,
but is 256bits with identical 9800p perf. This is according to a digit-life
article from awhile back.

rms

Mine's a 256bit part. they are real 9800pros. the 'lite' refers to the fact that there is no games
or other such fluff in the box, just the driver disk, cables and instructions. However, the 128bit
part may be more to do with date of manufacture, so I would double check using Everest home edition
once you have the card installed. I got my 9800 from komplett btw, but same product.

Also, if you intend to change heatsink for a better after sales solution(something you should not do
until you are sure it is 256 bit, but neccessary if you want to overclock, because the stock
heatsink is not up to it), might be worth reading the chip number. You could well have a R360 core
instead of a R350. Bonus because you can Flash it to a better model (see posts below).

Shawk wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Finally ordered a 9800 Pro today from overclockers UK. Went for the
> Sapphire 128MB DDR Lite retail (GX-017-SP). States 256bit on the
> site but am aware of the confusion over the last few months with
> Sapphire and others sending out 128bit cards. Anyone have one of
> these? Is it 256bit?
>
> Thanks, Shaun

Congrats Shaun, I know you'll be happy when it gets to you!
McG.

shawk

> Shawk wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Finally ordered a 9800 Pro today from overclockers UK. Went for the
> > Sapphire 128MB DDR Lite retail (GX-017-SP). States 256bit on the
> > site but am aware of the confusion over the last few months with
> > Sapphire and others sending out 128bit cards. Anyone have one of
> > these? Is it 256bit?
> >
> > Thanks, Shaun
>
> Congrats Shaun, I know you'll be happy when it gets to you!
> McG.

Thanks all, I've read that ATI, Sapphire etc are not making 9800's with the
350 core anymore so have my fingers crossed for the 360. Obviously have
EVERYTHING that I have two of crossed for the 256bit - hope it doesnt take
long - getting cramp in awkward places :)