Unable to utilise seperate user account

I just brought a new PC and overwrite the new document and setting folder
with my previous backup. However, after doing this, the PC cannot seems to
bring out the page after booting up when you can select your profile.

I already create 2 user accounts and I go to the user account page under the
control panel and try clicking on the " Change the way users log on and off "
tag, the error msg pop out as follow:
" A recently installed program has disable the welcome sceen and fast user
switching. To restore these features, you must uninstall the program. The
following file name might help you identify the program that made the change:
ginamsi.dll "

How can I restore back to the original configuration as to enable to access
the 2 user account? And what does this ginamsi.dll file do?
2 answers Last reply
More about unable utilise seperate user account

    ivan009 wrote:
    > I just brought a new PC and overwrite the new document and setting folder
    > with my previous backup. However, after doing this, the PC cannot seems to
    > bring out the page after booting up when you can select your profile.
    >
    > I already create 2 user accounts and I go to the user account page under the
    > control panel and try clicking on the " Change the way users log on and off "
    > tag, the error msg pop out as follow:
    > " A recently installed program has disable the welcome sceen and fast user
    > switching. To restore these features, you must uninstall the program. The
    > following file name might help you identify the program that made the change:
    > ginamsi.dll "
    >
    > How can I restore back to the original configuration as to enable to access
    > the 2 user account? And what does this ginamsi.dll file do?
    the first problem was caused by deleting the new folder named Documents
    and Settings (which contains all the new user profiles), and restoring
    an old folder with the same name containing old user profiles with old
    security IDs, that do not match the new security IDs of the new user
    profiles / user accounts. any time you create a new user account / user
    profile, it gets a new Security ID, even if the account/profile name is
    the same as an old deleted one.

    sorry i am not sure how to fix the first problem. or the second problem
    either, regarding " A recently installed program has disable the welcome
    sceen and fast user switching. To restore these features, you must
    uninstall the program. The following file name might help you identify
    the program that made the change: ginamsi.dll "

    you might try deleting all your accounts (except 1 admin account)
    because the SIDs in the registry do not match the SIDs of the old
    profiles you restored. Then recreate all the accounts again, and log
    into each one, so new profiles with matching SIDs will be created. Then
    use your old backup, but do not restore the folder named Documents and
    Settings or it's subfolders (user profile folders belonging to old
    accounts). Only restore the non-hidden subfolders named My Documents,
    Favorites, Cookies, Desktop, etc. which are inside each user profile
    folder. this is based on my understanding of how things operate, but
    not based on any experience recovering from a mistake like this.

    Click Start, Run and type REGEDIT
    Navigate to the following key:
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
    Backup the registry key by exporting it.
    In the right pane, right-click GinaDLL, and then click Delete. You need to
    remove the whole value, not just it's data.
    Close Registry Editor

    Automate:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/reg/ginadll.reg

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "ivan009" <ivan009@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I just brought a new PC and overwrite the new document and setting folder
    > with my previous backup. However, after doing this, the PC cannot seems to
    > bring out the page after booting up when you can select your profile.
    >
    > I already create 2 user accounts and I go to the user account page under
    > the
    > control panel and try clicking on the " Change the way users log on and
    > off "
    > tag, the error msg pop out as follow:
    > " A recently installed program has disable the welcome sceen and fast user
    > switching. To restore these features, you must uninstall the program. The
    > following file name might help you identify the program that made the
    > change:
    > ginamsi.dll "
    >
    > How can I restore back to the original configuration as to enable to
    > access
    > the 2 user account? And what does this ginamsi.dll file do?

Windows XP