Unable to utilise seperate user account

I just brought a new PC and overwrite the new document and setting folder
with my previous backup. However, after doing this, the PC cannot seems to
bring out the page after booting up when you can select your profile.

I already create 2 user accounts and I go to the user account page under the
control panel and try clicking on the " Change the way users log on and off "
tag, the error msg pop out as follow:
" A recently installed program has disable the welcome sceen and fast user
switching. To restore these features, you must uninstall the program. The
following file name might help you identify the program that made the change:
ginamsi.dll "

How can I restore back to the original configuration as to enable to access
the 2 user account? And what does this ginamsi.dll file do?

jw

ivan009 wrote:
> I just brought a new PC and overwrite the new document and setting folder
> with my previous backup. However, after doing this, the PC cannot seems to
> bring out the page after booting up when you can select your profile.
>
> I already create 2 user accounts and I go to the user account page under the
> control panel and try clicking on the " Change the way users log on and off "
> tag, the error msg pop out as follow:
> " A recently installed program has disable the welcome sceen and fast user
> switching. To restore these features, you must uninstall the program. The
> following file name might help you identify the program that made the change:
> ginamsi.dll "
>
> How can I restore back to the original configuration as to enable to access
> the 2 user account? And what does this ginamsi.dll file do?
the first problem was caused by deleting the new folder named Documents
and Settings (which contains all the new user profiles), and restoring
an old folder with the same name containing old user profiles with old
security IDs, that do not match the new security IDs of the new user
profiles / user accounts. any time you create a new user account / user
profile, it gets a new Security ID, even if the account/profile name is
the same as an old deleted one.

sorry i am not sure how to fix the first problem. or the second problem
either, regarding " A recently installed program has disable the welcome
sceen and fast user switching. To restore these features, you must
uninstall the program. The following file name might help you identify
the program that made the change: ginamsi.dll "

you might try deleting all your accounts (except 1 admin account)
because the SIDs in the registry do not match the SIDs of the old
profiles you restored. Then recreate all the accounts again, and log
into each one, so new profiles with matching SIDs will be created. Then
use your old backup, but do not restore the folder named Documents and
Settings or it's subfolders (user profile folders belonging to old
accounts). Only restore the non-hidden subfolders named My Documents,
Favorites, Cookies, Desktop, etc. which are inside each user profile
folder. this is based on my understanding of how things operate, but
not based on any experience recovering from a mistake like this.

Click Start, Run and type REGEDIT
Navigate to the following key:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
Backup the registry key by exporting it.
In the right pane, right-click GinaDLL, and then click Delete. You need to
remove the whole value, not just it's data.
Close Registry Editor

Automate:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/reg/ginadll.reg

--