Security question for XP gurus

Tags:
  • Security
  • Windows XP
February 8, 2005 2:21:37 AM

Okay, here's a good one:

My pre-assembled POS from dell had a hd failure on it...

Naturally, I had not yet incorporated this into my server rack's backup raid
5 array.

Now the wife wants to recover her office docs she put in a private folder

I have a USB-IDE converter which I have used to conduct data recovery in the
past, but when I try to copy her folder from the XP home hd onto my other
system (with XP Pro btw) I get an "access denied" error. There is no option
to "run as".

A suggestion from another group said to download partition manager and
reformat the drive from ntfs to fat32, but my understanding is that you onyl
can convert from the opposite direction...

Can someone advise if this is true, or possibly suggest another way around
this?

My other steps have already included a windows repair, recovery, and a
chkdsk /r

More about : security question gurus

February 8, 2005 2:21:38 AM

"Jason" wrote:

> Okay, here's a good one:
>
> My pre-assembled POS from dell had a hd failure on it...
>
> Naturally, I had not yet incorporated this into my server rack's backup raid
> 5 array.
>
> Now the wife wants to recover her office docs she put in a private folder
>
> I have a USB-IDE converter which I have used to conduct data recovery in the
> past, but when I try to copy her folder from the XP home hd onto my other
> system (with XP Pro btw) I get an "access denied" error. There is no option
> to "run as".
>
> A suggestion from another group said to download partition manager and
> reformat the drive from ntfs to fat32, but my understanding is that you onyl
> can convert from the opposite direction...
>
> Can someone advise if this is true, or possibly suggest another way around
> this?
>
> My other steps have already included a windows repair, recovery, and a
> chkdsk /r

February 8, 2005 2:54:26 PM

"MAP" <MAP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "Jason" wrote:
>
> > Okay, here's a good one:
> >
> > My pre-assembled POS from dell had a hd failure on it...
> >
> > Naturally, I had not yet incorporated this into my server rack's backup
raid
> > 5 array.
> >
> > Now the wife wants to recover her office docs she put in a private
folder

> > I have a USB-IDE converter which I have used to conduct data recovery in
the
> > past, but when I try to copy her folder from the XP home hd onto my
other
> > system (with XP Pro btw) I get an "access denied" error. There is no
option
> > to "run as".
> >
> > A suggestion from another group said to download partition manager and
> > reformat the drive from ntfs to fat32, but my understanding is that you
onyl
> > can convert from the opposite direction...
> >
> > Can someone advise if this is true, or possibly suggest another way
around
> > this?
> >
> > My other steps have already included a windows repair, recovery, and a
> > chkdsk /r
> >

> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=308421

Um, this KB article says has the following note right off:

You must be logged on to the computer with an account that has
administrative credentials. If you are running Microsoft Windows XP Home
Edition, you must start the computer in safe mode, and then log on with an
account that has Administrative rights to have access to the Security tab.

My whole point is that I am not logged into the windows partition that
contains the file because the hd fails to load properly. I am accessing
this hd using a different version of Windows XP. (Loading XP Pro where NTFS
security permissions can be assigned. In XP Home it's either making folders
private or not.) For some reason though, the "make private" selection of
Home is locking me out when accessed through Professional.

The problem has been solved as I re-attempted a chkdks /r on the unmountable
volume and was able to repair it (temporarily - getting replacement hd from
Dell) and log in directly to remove privacy option.

My curiosity remains about making an NTFS->FAT32 conversion though...did
not think that type of conversion was possible. Any NTFS/FAT32/security
gurus out there?
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
February 8, 2005 6:39:49 PM

If your account is in the "local" admin group of her PC, then you can take
ownership.

If you've connected the drive to your PC (whether it be internal or
external), then you can take ownership (as this sounds what you have done
with the USB-IDE converter).

Now reread the article provided, follow the procedures and "take ownership"
of the files and copy them.

The only exception would be if she "encrypted" her files, but file
encryption is not available on an XP Home machine (unless you've installed a
3rd party package - then you'll have to take it up with them).

--
Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
"Google is your Friend!"

news:o hO6e7fDFHA.2540@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...