Catalyst 4.7 black screen of death

4.7 and the most recent media center eventually goes to a black
screen and (usually) reboot on two machines.

1. AIW 9600 XP Pro P4 1 gb
2. AIW 7500 XP Home P3 256 mb

This software does not appear ready for prime time.

I am back to the version that came on the the AIW 9600 (not pro)
installation CD. This version at least works.

--
Chuck Forsberg caf@omen.com www.omen.com 503-614-0430
Omen Technology Inc "The High Reliability Software"

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX wrote:
> 4.7 and the most recent media center eventually goes to a black
> screen and (usually) reboot on two machines.
>
> 1. AIW 9600 XP Pro P4 1 gb
> 2. AIW 7500 XP Home P3 256 mb
>
> This software does not appear ready for prime time.
>
> I am back to the version that came on the the AIW 9600 (not pro)
> installation CD. This version at least works.

My 9600xt card did that after I upgraded my cat driver from the stock
ASUS driver to the ATI Cat 4.6 drivers without completely uninstalling
the ASUS drivers first.

The system would boot up just fine and work for anything between 3
minutes to 30 minutes after which the screen would go black. Ping'ing
the machine from one of my other boxes told me that the system was still
running so figured it had to be a video driver problem of some kind. It
didn't end with a reboot though, I had to use the three fingered salute
to get it back.

After some digging around on the web to find out other peeps experiences
I downloaded the ATI Catalyst removal tool, removed all traces of the
Asus and ATI drivers, rebooted and then re-installed the 4.6 Cat driver
and everything has worked fine since.

ATI Catalyst Removal Tool: http://www2.ati.com/drivers/cat-uninstaller.exe

hope this helps,

--
JasonB

To reply, replace nospam4me with blueyonder

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 11:26:22 +0000, JasonB wrote:

> Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX wrote:
>> [quoted text muted]
> My 9600xt card did that after I upgraded my cat driver from the stock ASUS
> driver to the ATI Cat 4.6 drivers without completely uninstalling the ASUS
> drivers first.
>
> The system would boot up just fine and work for anything between 3 minutes
> to 30 minutes after which the screen would go black. Ping'ing the machine
> from one of my other boxes told me that the system was still running so
> figured it had to be a video driver problem of some kind. It didn't end
> with a reboot though, I had to use the three fingered salute to get it
> back.
>
> After some digging around on the web to find out other peeps experiences I
> downloaded the ATI Catalyst removal tool, removed all traces of the Asus
> and ATI drivers, rebooted and then re-installed the 4.6 Cat driver and
> everything has worked fine since.
>
> ATI Catalyst Removal Tool: http://www2.ati.com/drivers/cat-uninstaller.exe

I use cat-uninstaller religiously but that doesn't allow 4.6 or 4.7
to work properly. I even installed 4.6 (or was it 4.7) on a
virgin XP system and it still goes black. But the software that
came with my AIW 9600 seems to work with both cards.

(Except that they create .mpg files that won't play on older DVD
players when authored with NeroVision 2 in automatic mode.)