roaming user accounts

February 8, 2005 12:25:01 PM

My company is running win2k server, and wixxpsp2 desktops networked. I can't
seem to figure out how to create roaming profiles. The server wants me to
set up a DNS and we do not have one. Also, we have a username called
Student. I don't want studentsw to be able to change the background,
screensaver etc. How do I configurre this?

More about : roaming user accounts

Anonymous
February 8, 2005 3:28:42 PM

Tsion wrote:
> My company is running win2k server, and wixxpsp2 desktops networked.
> I can't seem to figure out how to create roaming profiles. The
> server wants me to set up a DNS and we do not have one. Also, we
> have a username called Student. I don't want studentsw to be able to
> change the background, screensaver etc. How do I configurre this?

You need a domain to do this - can't use roaming profiles in a workgroup.
You will need internal DNS to run Active Directory (but you can set that up
once you promote your server to a domain controller). Then you need to join
all your workstations to the domain, and setup user accounts for each user.

You can then use group policy to control what users can and cannot change on
their computers.
!