Need to Lockdown Computer-Windows XP

I have a situation where we are trying to limit access to a computer with
Windows XP. We have set up a user account with a password, but the person we
are trying to keep off the computer knows how to get around the login process
( I can ellaborate how he does this if I need to).

Is there another way or other software that will lockdown a computer?
7 answers Last reply
More about need lockdown computer windows

    XP Pro or XP Home?

    How is the person getting around the login process?

    Matt Gibson - GSEC

    "BevH" <BevH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a situation where we are trying to limit access to a computer with
    > Windows XP. We have set up a user account with a password, but the person
    > we
    > are trying to keep off the computer knows how to get around the login
    > process
    > ( I can ellaborate how he does this if I need to).
    >
    > Is there another way or other software that will lockdown a computer?

    If physical access is not restricted, access to data stored on any machine
    cannot be completely blocked by just software solutions alone. That is one of
    the many reasons why Servers are keep under lock and key (or electronic) for
    example.

    If data is confidential, consider using EFS to encrypt. Make sure that you
    have an offline backup of the key though.

    Do let us know if this helps. Thanks!

    "BevH" wrote:

    > I have a situation where we are trying to limit access to a computer with
    > Windows XP. We have set up a user account with a password, but the person we
    > are trying to keep off the computer knows how to get around the login process
    > ( I can ellaborate how he does this if I need to).
    >
    > Is there another way or other software that will lockdown a computer?

    He was able to get around it by rebooting the computer and starting in safe
    mode. Then he would log in as adminstrator which gave him access to change
    the user's password. You see, we were logging off the computer and
    considering it "locked".

    I did figure out the answer, that by taking away the Welcome screen,
    disallowing the Guest feature and by pressing ctl-alt-del then choosing the
    "lock computer" button it truly locks the computer down. Even safe mode
    won't get around it.

    I appreciate your time, thank you.

    Bev

    BevH wrote:

    > He was able to get around it by rebooting the computer and starting in
    > safe
    > mode. Then he would log in as adminstrator which gave him access to
    > change
    > the user's password. You see, we were logging off the computer and
    > considering it "locked".
    >
    > I did figure out the answer, that by taking away the Welcome screen,
    > disallowing the Guest feature and by pressing ctl-alt-del then
    > choosing the
    > "lock computer" button it truly locks the computer down. Even safe
    > mode won't get around it.

    It's great that you solved this, but I do want to point out that as
    Desmond Lee said, if a computer is physically accessible by someone
    with enough time and skill, it can be gotten into. This has nothing to
    do with the operating system being run since the usual access method is
    not through the installed operating system. If lock and key isn't
    possible, you can at least:

    a) Go into the BIOS and change the boot order so the machine only boots
    from the hard drive;

    b) Set a BIOS password so that no one else can change the BIOS settings.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    BevH wrote:
    > He was able to get around it by rebooting the computer and starting in safe
    > mode. Then he would log in as adminstrator which gave him access to change
    > the user's password. You see, we were logging off the computer and
    > considering it "locked".

    If you didn't want this user to have access to the computer, why in the
    world did you give him the password to the Administrator account?

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    This is a problem, but, if you are running win xp pro then you can restrict
    access to their account !!! You do this by clicking "start", open "Run" in
    the box type (without quotations) "LUSRMGR.MSC". Then it 'should' load a
    console root box, click on "users" then on the right hand side find the name
    of the user you are restricting access. The click "disable accout" (i think
    it says this). Close it down restart machine, then hey presto they cant get
    it. The only problem is if they get on to a administrators account then they
    can change this back!!!! Hope this helps. Alternativly you can buy/download
    software whcih locks your PC with a password look for a program call "PC
    Lockup" or something simular !

    --
    James H-S :-)
    "BevH" <BevH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a situation where we are trying to limit access to a computer with
    > Windows XP. We have set up a user account with a password, but the person
    > we
    > are trying to keep off the computer knows how to get around the login
    > process
    > ( I can ellaborate how he does this if I need to).
    >
    > Is there another way or other software that will lockdown a computer?
  7. Hey guys, I came across a way to lock down your PC with an instant recovery software that is going to be freeware for XP called Rollback XP! check it out - http://www.horizondatasys.com/en/Windows_XP_lockdown.ihtml

Computers Windows XP