  • Security
  • Windows XP
a b 8 Security
February 8, 2005 7:17:03 PM

I am able to install all updates except one which keeps failing. I've closed
my anti-virus software and firewall with no luck. The update downloaded, but
does not install. I was thinking that something is interfering with the
installation and I would try to install it from "safe mode". The problem is
I don't know where on my computer the download is and how to start the
installation. The problem is with
Security Update for Windows XP (KB885836).

Does anyone have any suggestions as what my next steps should be.

Thanks,
Frank

More about : critical update installation failed

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
February 9, 2005 4:33:10 AM

fxp wrote:

> I am able to install all updates except one which keeps failing. I've closed
> my anti-virus software and firewall with no luck. The update downloaded, but
> does not install. I was thinking that something is interfering with the
> installation and I would try to install it from "safe mode". The problem is
> I don't know where on my computer the download is and how to start the
> installation. The problem is with
> Security Update for Windows XP (KB885836).
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions as what my next steps should be.
Hi

Manually download and run it from here and see what happens:

Vulnerability in WordPad Could Allow Code Execution (885836)
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04...

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
a b 8 Security
February 9, 2005 3:11:10 PM

Thanks, you da man! Your fix worked just fine.

Regards,
Frank
!