New 9800 Pro - graphic issues

Hi all,

Got the new card today. Everythings working great - scores have doubled
BUT.... I've developed graphical glitches - looks like thousands of tiny red
fireflies. Only happens in games (Far Cry), benchmarking (Aquamark) and
also can be seen in the Direct3D tests in DxDiag. Tried various drivers
(Cat 4.3, 4.6 and Omega 4.6). Any ideas?

Specs are:

NF7-S v2 Mobo
XP2800+
1gig 3200 Ram (pair 512's)
Audigy S/Card
Win XP Pro
DX9.0b

Thanks, Shaun
23 answers Last reply
More about 9800 graphic issues

    Maybe it´s your power supply, When I bought my msi 9800 pro, I got problems
    in the image; I had a generic 350 Watts power supply, I changed to a
    Thermaltake 480 watts, and now the card runs like hell....;-)

    "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> escribió en el mensaje
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Got the new card today. Everythings working great - scores have doubled
    > BUT.... I've developed graphical glitches - looks like thousands of tiny
    red
    > fireflies. Only happens in games (Far Cry), benchmarking (Aquamark) and
    > also can be seen in the Direct3D tests in DxDiag. Tried various drivers
    > (Cat 4.3, 4.6 and Omega 4.6). Any ideas?
    >
    > Specs are:
    >
    > NF7-S v2 Mobo
    > XP2800+
    > 1gig 3200 Ram (pair 512's)
    > Audigy S/Card
    > Win XP Pro
    > DX9.0b
    >
    > Thanks, Shaun

    On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 22:07:18 -0400, "Cristián Pérez V."
    <cperezv@vtr.net> wrote:

    >Maybe it´s your power supply, When I bought my msi 9800 pro, I got problems
    >in the image; I had a generic 350 Watts power supply, I changed to a
    >Thermaltake 480 watts, and now the card runs like hell....;-)
    >

    >"Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> escribió en el mensaje
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> Got the new card today. Everythings working great - scores have doubled
    >> BUT.... I've developed graphical glitches - looks like thousands of tiny
    >red
    >> fireflies. Only happens in games (Far Cry), benchmarking (Aquamark) and
    >> also can be seen in the Direct3D tests in DxDiag. Tried various drivers
    >> (Cat 4.3, 4.6 and Omega 4.6). Any ideas?
    >>
    >> Specs are:
    >>
    >> NF7-S v2 Mobo
    >> XP2800+
    >> 1gig 3200 Ram (pair 512's)
    >> Audigy S/Card
    >> Win XP Pro
    >> DX9.0b
    >>
    >> Thanks, Shaun
    >>

    >Temp;s seem ok...cpu a bit high.
    For the heck of it, open the case and place a fan directed at the
    card....see what happens as it is a cheap way th begin diagnosis.
    Hate to say this but creative sound cards have also caused
    problems...hogging the bus! <unlikely though>

    The powersuply is a good place to start,,,,must have good 12v
    rails....Cheapos do not work well no matter what they are rated at!

    Shawk wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Got the new card today. Everythings working great - scores have
    > doubled BUT.... I've developed graphical glitches - looks like
    > thousands of tiny red fireflies. Only happens in games (Far Cry),
    > benchmarking (Aquamark) and also can be seen in the Direct3D tests in
    > DxDiag. Tried various drivers (Cat 4.3, 4.6 and Omega 4.6). Any
    > ideas?
    >
    > Specs are:
    >
    > NF7-S v2 Mobo
    > XP2800+
    > 1gig 3200 Ram (pair 512's)
    > Audigy S/Card
    > Win XP Pro
    > DX9.0b

    Are you overclocking at all? Also what is your heat like in the case?
    To be honest sounds like it may be a heat issue.

    regards

    @ndrew

    "@ndrew" <andrewratinternodedotondotnet> wrote in message
    > Shawk wrote:
    >
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > Got the new card today. Everythings working great - scores have
    > > doubled BUT.... I've developed graphical glitches - looks like
    > > thousands of tiny red fireflies. Only happens in games (Far Cry),
    > > benchmarking (Aquamark) and also can be seen in the Direct3D tests in
    > > DxDiag. Tried various drivers (Cat 4.3, 4.6 and Omega 4.6). Any
    > > ideas?
    > >
    > > Specs are:
    > >
    > > NF7-S v2 Mobo
    > > XP2800+
    > > 1gig 3200 Ram (pair 512's)
    > > Audigy S/Card
    > > Win XP Pro
    > > DX9.0b
    > >

    > Are you overclocking at all? Also what is your heat like in the case?
    > To be honest sounds like it may be a heat issue.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > @ndrew

    @ndrew

    No overclocking at all but you could be right on the heat. This is just a
    cheap bog-standard case with no case fans and I've been reading that 9800
    Pro's run hot - probably about time I had a better case - I've upgraded
    everything else. I think there's a utility for checking temps on an NF7-S
    (2) - I'll d-load that and see what it says. What am I looking at for
    normal temps under load and at idle?

    Thanks, Shaun

    A suggestion:
    Add at least 2 case fans (I run 6 on a full tower), Athlon 64, and ati
    Radeon 9700 Pro...nothing overclocked. After my warranty was ove on
    the 9700 Pro, I took off the stock cooler and added a VGA Silencer
    with better results (Not to do until AFTER your warranty is
    over....one in back exhausting air and one in front pulling in fresh
    air...should help...The 9800's are HOT RUNNING and I for one do not
    like the stock cooling on them!!!! Remember heat is ehausted into the
    case by the 9800, the CPU fan, ram and general system hot air.

    I have a friend who took his side tower cover off and directed a floor
    fan at the card (for the summer anyway) hwy, it seems to work!

    At least the case fans will get some of the hot air out! Remember that
    when the card goes into 3d mode....there is more heat!

    > "@ndrew" <andrewratinternodedotondotnet> wrote in message
    > > Shawk wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi all,
    > > >
    > > > Got the new card today. Everythings working great - scores have
    > > > doubled BUT.... I've developed graphical glitches - looks like
    > > > thousands of tiny red fireflies. Only happens in games (Far Cry),
    > > > benchmarking (Aquamark) and also can be seen in the Direct3D tests in
    > > > DxDiag. Tried various drivers (Cat 4.3, 4.6 and Omega 4.6). Any
    > > > ideas?
    > > >
    > > > Specs are:
    > > >
    > > > NF7-S v2 Mobo
    > > > XP2800+
    > > > 1gig 3200 Ram (pair 512's)
    > > > Audigy S/Card
    > > > Win XP Pro
    > > > DX9.0b
    > > >

    > > Are you overclocking at all? Also what is your heat like in the case?
    > > To be honest sounds like it may be a heat issue.
    > >
    > > regards
    > >
    > > @ndrew
    > >

    > @ndrew
    >
    > No overclocking at all but you could be right on the heat. This is just a
    > cheap bog-standard case with no case fans and I've been reading that 9800
    > Pro's run hot - probably about time I had a better case - I've upgraded
    > everything else. I think there's a utility for checking temps on an NF7-S
    > (2) - I'll d-load that and see what it says. What am I looking at for
    > normal temps under load and at idle?
    >
    > Thanks, Shaun

    ABIT EQ says the system is at 39degrees and the CPU at 53. No idea how hot
    the GPU is - anyway of testing that? Thanks.

    Sounds like a heat issue. Try underclocking the card to be certain. You could also try...

    - running the computer with the side off, and blowing air into it with a desk fan, and seeing if
    that clears the issue
    - running the computer from cold, starting the game as soon as you get to desktop. If you see the
    fireflies increase over time, then its heat because the problem gets worse as the system gets
    hotter. If they appear straight away then its a card imperfection, and you should look to returning
    the card for a swap.

    Before you decide its a bad card, also consider using a different (better) PSU if you have one
    available because the issue might be a lack of power. If you can't (or dont want to) do that,
    temporarily disconnect everything except the HD you need to play the game (you can get a no-CD patch
    from gamecopyworld so that you dont need an active CD drive to play your game). then try and see if
    you get less fireflies. If you do, then its power related.

    that should give you a few directions to try.

    For what its worth, I have a very similar setup to you (9800 pro, 2x512Mb, XP2800, MSI NF2 mobo),
    and when I first installed the card, I had issues with it warming up the case enough to crash the
    processor consistently. Because I work from home and use the computer for writing, the use of loads
    of case fans was out (I like to be able to think and a bit of quiet is nice!). Adding an arctic
    cooler solved the problem straight away, because it vents the heat away at source. this will of
    course invalidate your warranty, so you have to be
    1. Happy with not being able to take your card back
    2. Sure it is heat, and not an imperfection in the card

    > Got the new card today. Everythings working great - scores have
    > doubled BUT.... I've developed graphical glitches - looks like
    > thousands of tiny red fireflies.

    On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 02:03:57 +0100, "Shawk"
    <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> waffled on about something:

    >"Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "@ndrew" <andrewratinternodedotondotnet> wrote in message

    >> > Are you overclocking at all? Also what is your heat like in the case?
    >> > To be honest sounds like it may be a heat issue.
    >> >
    >> > regards
    >> >
    >> > @ndrew
    >> >

    >> @ndrew
    >>
    >> No overclocking at all but you could be right on the heat. This is just a
    >> cheap bog-standard case with no case fans and I've been reading that 9800
    >> Pro's run hot - probably about time I had a better case - I've upgraded
    >> everything else. I think there's a utility for checking temps on an NF7-S
    >> (2) - I'll d-load that and see what it says. What am I looking at for
    >> normal temps under load and at idle?
    >>
    >> Thanks, Shaun
    >>

    >ABIT EQ says the system is at 39degrees and the CPU at 53. No idea how hot
    >the GPU is - anyway of testing that? Thanks.

    I believe the xt will tell you, but I don't think the pro can.

    You can always prove if this a heat issue by running the pc lid-less
    so it can get some air.

    D0d6y.
    --
    MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

    All,

    Thanks for all the suggestions. So far I've:

    Taken out and removed the drivers for the Audigy and gone back to on-board
    sound - no diff.
    Tried OpenGl games to see if its just D3D - no diff
    Taken one of the case sides off to allow some more air to the card - no
    diff. (havent got a fan to blow into the case unfortunately)
    Left the PC off for a couple of hours, rebooted and tried Aquamark as soon
    as desktop appears - very slightly less 'fireflies' - maybe

    Tonight I'll try disconnecting CDRom and DVD drives to take some load off
    the PSU (a 350w FSP (Sparkle?) jobby) but meanwhile (and as this is an
    ongoing upgrade project anyway) I've ordered a new Thermaltake Lanfire case
    with 4 fans and a new 480w Thermaltake dual-fan PSU (Butterfly?). Should be
    here by Friday so see what happens then. (6 fans! - if it doesnt stop the
    fireflies at least I should be able to fly it to work)

    Dreading the fact the card might be an RMA - though their prices and
    delivery are excellent I haven't heard good things about Overclockers
    returns process :-(

    Thanks again, dont go away - might need to ask more questions. Shaun

    "Sham B" <shamb@easynet.co.ukNOSP> wrote in message
    > Sounds like a heat issue. Try underclocking the card to be certain. You
    could also try...

    Sham B

    Using Radlinker I dropped the core to 351 from 378 and left the memory at
    337.5. The fireflies disappeared!! However I havent got a clue what this
    means - noob when it comes to this stuff. Any further advice please?

    Thanks, Shaun

    It means your core is overheating. Under normal conditions, the heatsink should get around as hot
    as a hot mug of tea - the sort of heat where you can keep your hand on it, but any hotter and you
    would have to let go.

    I suspect either:

    1. your core is okay but it is not making contact with the heatsink.. I suspect when you touch the
    heatsink, you will find that it is not that hot.
    2. the core is fked., possibly caused by 1.

    If its 1, then Im afraid it means taking off the heatsink to find out, immediately voiding your
    warranty, and even then you need to buy some decent paste to fix the problem, and Im assuming that
    the damage is not now permanent. So its not something you should consider. If its 2 then, well... it
    speaks for itself.

    you have a dud. Unless its something really obvious like the fan isnt spinning because something is
    stopping it, and it can be easily freed, you need to send it back. Send overclockers an email
    telling them that you have a problem with the picture when using the card in games, and you had the
    problem from the word go. tell them it the same way you told the NG initially.

    They will most likely either take it back or suspect that you have decided to overclock it and
    broken it that way... so if they start asking questions, *whatever you do* dont mention the word
    'overclock' or 'underclock' unless you really have to.

    Sorry.

    I know its a pain in the arse, but thats what I think the situation is, and cant think that it is
    anything else that can be fixed by the NG.

    If they get shirty, come back to the NG and tell us.

    > It means your core is overheating. Under normal conditions, the heatsink
    should get around as hot
    > as a hot mug of tea - the sort of heat where you can keep your hand on it,
    but any hotter and you
    > would have to let go.
    >
    > I suspect either:
    >
    > 1. your core is okay but it is not making contact with the heatsink.. I
    suspect when you touch the
    > heatsink, you will find that it is not that hot.
    > 2. the core is fked., possibly caused by 1.
    >
    > If its 1, then Im afraid it means taking off the heatsink to find out,
    immediately voiding your
    > warranty, and even then you need to buy some decent paste to fix the
    problem, and Im assuming that
    > the damage is not now permanent. So its not something you should consider.
    If its 2 then, well... it
    > speaks for itself.
    >
    > you have a dud. Unless its something really obvious like the fan isnt
    spinning because something is
    > stopping it, and it can be easily freed, you need to send it back. Send
    overclockers an email
    > telling them that you have a problem with the picture when using the card
    in games, and you had the
    > problem from the word go. tell them it the same way you told the NG
    initially.

    > They will most likely either take it back or suspect that you have decided
    to overclock it and
    > broken it that way... so if they start asking questions, *whatever you
    do* dont mention the word
    > 'overclock' or 'underclock' unless you really have to.
    >
    > Sorry.
    >
    > I know its a pain in the arse, but thats what I think the situation is,
    and cant think that it is
    > anything else that can be fixed by the NG.
    >
    > If they get shirty, come back to the NG and tell us.

    Bugger!....

    One last question - do the 9800 pro's fans speed alternate? i.e. should it
    go faster when the card is under load and therefore hotter? This one
    doesnt - just want to make sure that's normal before I start complaining

    Thanks, Shaun
    ..

    > One last question - do the 9800 pro's fans speed alternate? i.e.
    > should it go faster when the card is under load and therefore hotter?

    No. Constant speed.

  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Damn. I haven't seen anything like that with any of mine. Wait, the
    first Ti4600 I had DID have very tiny yellow flecks show up onscreen,
    but only after first entering any 3D mode. Didn't matter if OGL or D3D,
    just a 3D mode. I first realized I was having this problem in
    Morrowind.
    It was hardware, not the ram (that happened to be bad from the beginning
    on the 2nd Ti4600). Something else in the hardware 'broke' when going
    into 3D for some reason.
    It could be drivers, mobo/chipset drivers as well as video (for the AGP
    slot), memory on the vid card, poor seating in the AGP slot. Process of
    elimination time. Check to see what AGP settings you have in your mobos
    BIOS?
    McG.

    Shawk wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Got the new card today. Everythings working great - scores have
    > doubled BUT.... I've developed graphical glitches - looks like
    > thousands of tiny red fireflies. Only happens in games (Far Cry),
    > benchmarking (Aquamark) and also can be seen in the Direct3D tests in
    > DxDiag. Tried various drivers (Cat 4.3, 4.6 and Omega 4.6). Any
    > ideas?
    >
    > Specs are:
    >
    > NF7-S v2 Mobo
    > XP2800+
    > 1gig 3200 Ram (pair 512's)
    > Audigy S/Card
    > Win XP Pro
    > DX9.0b
    >
    > Thanks, Shaun
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Shawk wrote:
    > "@ndrew" <andrewratinternodedotondotnet> wrote in message
    >> Shawk wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi all,
    >>>
    >>> Got the new card today. Everythings working great - scores have
    >>> doubled BUT.... I've developed graphical glitches - looks like
    >>> thousands of tiny red fireflies. Only happens in games (Far Cry),
    >>> benchmarking (Aquamark) and also can be seen in the Direct3D tests
    >>> in DxDiag. Tried various drivers (Cat 4.3, 4.6 and Omega 4.6). Any
    >>> ideas?
    >>>
    >>> Specs are:
    >>>
    >>> NF7-S v2 Mobo
    >>> XP2800+
    >>> 1gig 3200 Ram (pair 512's)
    >>> Audigy S/Card
    >>> Win XP Pro
    >>> DX9.0b
    >>>

    >> Are you overclocking at all? Also what is your heat like in the
    >> case? To be honest sounds like it may be a heat issue.
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> @ndrew
    >>

    > @ndrew
    >
    > No overclocking at all but you could be right on the heat. This is
    > just a cheap bog-standard case with no case fans and I've been
    > reading that 9800 Pro's run hot - probably about time I had a better
    > case - I've upgraded everything else. I think there's a utility for
    > checking temps on an NF7-S (2) - I'll d-load that and see what it
    > says. What am I looking at for normal temps under load and at idle?
    >
    > Thanks, Shaun

    My 9800 Pro does run hot when in 3D, and I keep a case fan type blower
    pointed right at the vid card :) AND, I leave the sides off the case
    too. I like it having lots of fresh air in there.
    McG.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Shawk wrote:
    > "Sham B" <shamb@easynet.co.ukNOSP> wrote in message
    >> It means your core is overheating. Under normal conditions, the
    >> heatsink should get around as hot as a hot mug of tea - the sort of
    >> heat where you can keep your hand on it, but any hotter and you
    >> would have to let go.
    >>
    >> I suspect either:
    >>
    >> 1. your core is okay but it is not making contact with the
    >> heatsink.. I suspect when you touch the heatsink, you will find that
    >> it is not that hot.
    >> 2. the core is fked., possibly caused by 1.
    >>
    >> If its 1, then Im afraid it means taking off the heatsink to find
    >> out, immediately voiding your warranty, and even then you need to
    >> buy some decent paste to fix the problem, and Im assuming that the
    >> damage is not now permanent. So its not something you should
    >> consider. If its 2 then, well... it speaks for itself.
    >>
    >> you have a dud. Unless its something really obvious like the fan
    >> isnt spinning because something is stopping it, and it can be easily
    >> freed, you need to send it back. Send overclockers an email telling
    >> them that you have a problem with the picture when using the card in
    >> games, and you had the problem from the word go. tell them it the
    >> same way you told the NG initially.
    >>
    >> They will most likely either take it back or suspect that you have
    >> decided to overclock it and broken it that way... so if they start
    >> asking questions, *whatever you do* dont mention the word
    >> 'overclock' or 'underclock' unless you really have to.
    >>
    >> Sorry.
    >>
    >> I know its a pain in the arse, but thats what I think the situation
    >> is, and cant think that it is anything else that can be fixed by the
    >> NG.
    >>
    >> If they get shirty, come back to the NG and tell us.

    > Bugger!....
    >
    > One last question - do the 9800 pro's fans speed alternate? i.e.
    > should it go faster when the card is under load and therefore hotter?

    > This one doesnt - just want to make sure that's normal before I start
    > complaining
    >
    > Thanks, Shaun

    Hell yes! Mine goes from so quiet I have to look under it to be sure
    it's running to sounding like a jet about to take off when it gets
    loaded up, like with Halo or Far Cry! The 9800 Pro can deffo change the
    fan speed. SO, that means the 9800 Core KNOWS what the temp is....it
    just doesn't tell US what it is :-\ I hate that.
    McG.

    > .
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    > Shawk wrote:
    > > "Sham B" <shamb@easynet.co.ukNOSP> wrote in message
    > >> It means your core is overheating. Under normal conditions, the
    > >> heatsink should get around as hot as a hot mug of tea - the sort of
    > >> heat where you can keep your hand on it, but any hotter and you
    > >> would have to let go.
    > >>
    > >> I suspect either:
    > >>
    > >> 1. your core is okay but it is not making contact with the
    > >> heatsink.. I suspect when you touch the heatsink, you will find that
    > >> it is not that hot.
    > >> 2. the core is fked., possibly caused by 1.
    > >>
    > >> If its 1, then Im afraid it means taking off the heatsink to find
    > >> out, immediately voiding your warranty, and even then you need to
    > >> buy some decent paste to fix the problem, and Im assuming that the
    > >> damage is not now permanent. So its not something you should
    > >> consider. If its 2 then, well... it speaks for itself.
    > >>
    > >> you have a dud. Unless its something really obvious like the fan
    > >> isnt spinning because something is stopping it, and it can be easily
    > >> freed, you need to send it back. Send overclockers an email telling
    > >> them that you have a problem with the picture when using the card in
    > >> games, and you had the problem from the word go. tell them it the
    > >> same way you told the NG initially.
    > >>
    > >> They will most likely either take it back or suspect that you have
    > >> decided to overclock it and broken it that way... so if they start
    > >> asking questions, *whatever you do* dont mention the word
    > >> 'overclock' or 'underclock' unless you really have to.
    > >>
    > >> Sorry.
    > >>
    > >> I know its a pain in the arse, but thats what I think the situation
    > >> is, and cant think that it is anything else that can be fixed by the
    > >> NG.
    > >>
    > >> If they get shirty, come back to the NG and tell us.

    > > Bugger!....
    > >
    > > One last question - do the 9800 pro's fans speed alternate? i.e.
    > > should it go faster when the card is under load and therefore hotter?
    >
    > > This one doesnt - just want to make sure that's normal before I start
    > > complaining
    > >
    > > Thanks, Shaun
    >
    > Hell yes! Mine goes from so quiet I have to look under it to be sure
    > it's running to sounding like a jet about to take off when it gets
    > loaded up, like with Halo or Far Cry! The 9800 Pro can deffo change the
    > fan speed. SO, that means the 9800 Core KNOWS what the temp is....it
    > just doesn't tell US what it is :-\ I hate that.
    > McG.
    >
    > > .

    Wonder why mine doesn't then..... power supply? Think I might hold off
    complaining until I get that 480w Antec and the case with a thousand fans.
    Ta, Shaun
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Shawk wrote:
    >> Shawk wrote:
    >>> "Sham B" <shamb@easynet.co.ukNOSP> wrote in message

    >>> Bugger!....
    >>>
    >>> One last question - do the 9800 pro's fans speed alternate? i.e.
    >>> should it go faster when the card is under load and therefore
    >>> hotter?
    >>
    >>> This one doesnt - just want to make sure that's normal before I
    >>> start complaining
    >>>
    >>> Thanks, Shaun
    >>
    >> Hell yes! Mine goes from so quiet I have to look under it to be sure
    >> it's running to sounding like a jet about to take off when it gets
    >> loaded up, like with Halo or Far Cry! The 9800 Pro can deffo change
    >> the fan speed. SO, that means the 9800 Core KNOWS what the temp
    >> is....it just doesn't tell US what it is :-\ I hate that.
    >> McG.
    >>
    >>> .
    >>

    > Wonder why mine doesn't then..... power supply? Think I might hold
    > off complaining until I get that 480w Antec and the case with a
    > thousand fans. Ta, Shaun

    It's possible my Built By ATi 9800 Pro 128 does NOT vary speed. It
    could be the CPU fan. But, it sure does seem all the noise is coming
    from the 9800 fan. Everest says mine has a 350 core. It is BIOS dated
    January 29, 2004. It's not an old card. But it still has the R350
    core, not a 360. There is not much chance it has any 'extras'. Which
    makes the FX5900 128 a better choice in *some* ways. But the 9800 is
    faster.
    I think you've already hit on the problem. Since it's brand new, I'd
    RMA the card, as it's apparently faulty craftsmanship that's the
    culprit. Yes, I'm afraid I really would at this point :(
    McG.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Absolutely. I think the longer you leave it, the more overclockers will get suspicious. I cant say
    I really blame them because they sell to the people that are more likely to break the gear
    (overclockers and tinkerers) and are probably used to people trying to send back stuff that was
    overvoltaged or whatever and broke. Obviously, you hve not broken it and its a dud card, but the
    longer you keep it, the more you will be lumbered with OCs inherently suspicious returns policy.

    > I think you've already hit on the problem. Since it's brand new, I'd
    > RMA the card, as it's apparently faulty craftsmanship that's the
    > culprit. Yes, I'm afraid I really would at this point :(
    > McG.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    > Absolutely. I think the longer you leave it, the more overclockers will
    get suspicious. I cant say
    > I really blame them because they sell to the people that are more likely
    to break the gear
    > (overclockers and tinkerers) and are probably used to people trying to
    send back stuff that was
    > overvoltaged or whatever and broke. Obviously, you hve not broken it and
    its a dud card, but the
    > longer you keep it, the more you will be lumbered with OCs inherently
    suspicious returns policy.

    > > I think you've already hit on the problem. Since it's brand new, I'd
    > > RMA the card, as it's apparently faulty craftsmanship that's the
    > > culprit. Yes, I'm afraid I really would at this point :(
    > > McG.

    E-mailed them with the issues this morning. Wish me luck and thanks for
    your interest and help. (..and as I see Doom 3 is about to come out I'm
    hoping it doesnt take long to resolve)! Shaun
  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 10:07:50 +0100, "Shawk"
    <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> waffled on about something:

    >"Sham B" <shamb@easynet.co.ukNOSP> wrote in message
    >> Absolutely. I think the longer you leave it, the more overclockers will
    >get suspicious. I cant say
    >> I really blame them because they sell to the people that are more likely
    >to break the gear
    >> (overclockers and tinkerers) and are probably used to people trying to
    >send back stuff that was
    >> overvoltaged or whatever and broke. Obviously, you hve not broken it and
    >its a dud card, but the
    >> longer you keep it, the more you will be lumbered with OCs inherently
    >suspicious returns policy.

    >> > I think you've already hit on the problem. Since it's brand new, I'd
    >> > RMA the card, as it's apparently faulty craftsmanship that's the
    >> > culprit. Yes, I'm afraid I really would at this point :(
    >> > McG.
    >>

    >E-mailed them with the issues this morning. Wish me luck and thanks for
    >your interest and help. (..and as I see Doom 3 is about to come out I'm
    >hoping it doesnt take long to resolve)! Shaun

    With ocUK? It's bound too!

    I had a foa (faulty on arrival) motherboard, returned it after much
    emailing and testing different configs (different psu, video card,
    memory config etc etc), it sat on one of their benches for a week
    before they even started testing.

    They appear to only check emails twice a day at 8am and 6:30pm. I
    found this with both the technical dept and the presales questions
    people too. Very odd company policy and a complete bitch if you're
    having one of those "can you try this..." one step at a time fault
    identifying sessions, they ask at 8am, you reply by 9 and then nothing
    else happens until 6:30pm.

    Good luck.

    D0d6y.
    --
    MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES
  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    "Dodgy" <Dodgy@earth.planet.universe> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 10:07:50 +0100, "Shawk"
    > <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> waffled on about something:
    >

    > >"Sham B" <shamb@easynet.co.ukNOSP> wrote in message
    > >> Absolutely. I think the longer you leave it, the more overclockers
    will
    > >get suspicious. I cant say
    > >> I really blame them because they sell to the people that are more
    likely
    > >to break the gear
    > >> (overclockers and tinkerers) and are probably used to people trying to
    > >send back stuff that was
    > >> overvoltaged or whatever and broke. Obviously, you hve not broken it
    and
    > >its a dud card, but the
    > >> longer you keep it, the more you will be lumbered with OCs inherently
    > >suspicious returns policy.

    > >E-mailed them with the issues this morning. Wish me luck and thanks for
    > >your interest and help. (..and as I see Doom 3 is about to come out I'm
    > >hoping it doesnt take long to resolve)! Shaun
    >
    > With ocUK? It's bound too!
    >
    > I had a foa (faulty on arrival) motherboard, returned it after much
    > emailing and testing different configs (different psu, video card,
    > memory config etc etc), it sat on one of their benches for a week
    > before they even started testing.
    >
    > They appear to only check emails twice a day at 8am and 6:30pm. I
    > found this with both the technical dept and the presales questions
    > people too. Very odd company policy and a complete bitch if you're
    > having one of those "can you try this..." one step at a time fault
    > identifying sessions, they ask at 8am, you reply by 9 and then nothing
    > else happens until 6:30pm.
    >
    > Good luck.
    >
    > D0d6y.
    > --
    > MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

    Well the good news is that they issued an RMA without any problems. Fingers
    crossed they dont put this on a bench for a week however they have said send
    it back for a replacment so perhaps there is a bad batch?

    Shaun
  23. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    > Damn. I haven't seen anything like that with any of mine. Wait, the
    > first Ti4600 I had DID have very tiny yellow flecks show up onscreen,
    > but only after first entering any 3D mode. Didn't matter if OGL or D3D,
    > just a 3D mode. I first realized I was having this problem in
    > Morrowind.
    > It was hardware, not the ram (that happened to be bad from the beginning
    > on the 2nd Ti4600). Something else in the hardware 'broke' when going
    > into 3D for some reason.
    > It could be drivers, mobo/chipset drivers as well as video (for the AGP
    > slot), memory on the vid card, poor seating in the AGP slot. Process of
    > elimination time. Check to see what AGP settings you have in your mobos
    > BIOS?
    > McG.
    >
    > Shawk wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > Got the new card today. Everythings working great - scores have
    > > doubled BUT.... I've developed graphical glitches - looks like
    > > thousands of tiny red fireflies. Only happens in games (Far Cry),
    > > benchmarking (Aquamark) and also can be seen in the Direct3D tests in
    > > DxDiag. Tried various drivers (Cat 4.3, 4.6 and Omega 4.6). Any
    > > ideas?
    > >
    > > Specs are:
    > >
    > > NF7-S v2 Mobo
    > > XP2800+
    > > 1gig 3200 Ram (pair 512's)
    > > Audigy S/Card
    > > Win XP Pro
    > > DX9.0b
    > >
    > > Thanks, Shaun

    For everyone that tried to help on this one just to let you know
    Overclockers UK RMA's and exchanged the card with no fuss whatsoever and now
    I'm up and running and so far (touches wood) there are no issues and I'm a
    much happier guy. Thanks all, Shaun

Radeon Graphics