Group Policy

Is there any way to have the settings in group policy not affect the
Administrators account(s).

I'm new to all of this and was trying to restrict the Limited account on my
pc however any changes that I made under the group policy settings are
affecting the administrator account aswell.

i.e. I restricted the control panel to only display certain icons and while
logged into my admin account, they were restricted.

Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about group policy

    Put the administrator account in another OU or set the "Read" and "Apply
    Group Policy" permissions on the Group Policy Object (GPO) to a specific
    target group only (containing all users except the administrators).

    Do let us know if this helps. Thanks!

    "Craig" wrote:

    > Is there any way to have the settings in group policy not affect the
    > Administrators account(s).
    >
    > I'm new to all of this and was trying to restrict the Limited account on my
    > pc however any changes that I made under the group policy settings are
    > affecting the administrator account aswell.
    >
    > i.e. I restricted the control panel to only display certain icons and while
    > logged into my admin account, they were restricted.
    >
    > Thanks

    Thank you for the reply.

    I apologize for my ignorance here, but how exactly would I do that? Is it
    in the group policy window or somewhere else? I read a way of doing it by
    using mmc and making changes, then logging into all the accounts so they take
    effect, then logging back into the admin account and changing some registry
    stuff but it seemed like a lot of work for what should be a fairly simple
    task.

    I should mention that I'm running Win XP Pro SP2 and that this is the first
    time I have ever played around with Group Policy stuff.

    "Craig" wrote:

    > I apologize for my ignorance here, but how exactly would I do that? Is it

    Do not worry about that. Many of us would try our best to help to the best
    of our knowledge and ability.

    > in the group policy window or somewhere else? I read a way of doing it by
    > using mmc and making changes, then logging into all the accounts so they take

    Do you have an Active Directory network? If yes, all such changes revolve
    around Group Policy Objects that are typically set at an Organizational Unit
    (OU) level using "Active Directory Users & Computers" i.e. highlight the OU >
    Properties > Group Properties > New / Add > Edit ... > configure the settings
    you need.

    > effect, then logging back into the admin account and changing some registry
    > stuff but it seemed like a lot of work for what should be a fairly simple
    > task.

    This would be necessary if no Active Directory infrastructure exists.

    > I should mention that I'm running Win XP Pro SP2 and that this is the first
    > time I have ever played around with Group Policy stuff.

    Group Policy is a very complex topic so take your time to learn and pick it
    up. Try to setup a test environment to familiarize with concepts and run
    extensive tests before putting it to production.

    "Desmond Lee" wrote:

    > Do you have an Active Directory network? If yes, all such changes revolve
    > around Group Policy Objects that are typically set at an Organizational Unit
    > (OU) level using "Active Directory Users & Computers" i.e. highlight the OU >
    > Properties > Group Properties > New / Add > Edit ... > configure the settings
    > you need.

    Currently this is just on a local machine with no other pc's connected. I
    believe that in the help files I clicked on open "Active Directory Users &
    Computers" and a window popped up stating the program could not open.

    > This would be necessary if no Active Directory infrastructure exists.

    I don't believe that I have one.... so.. How would I set up an Active
    Directory?

    > Group Policy is a very complex topic so take your time to learn and pick it
    > up. Try to setup a test environment to familiarize with concepts and run
    > extensive tests before putting it to production.
    >
    > Do let us know if this helps. Thanks!

    Everything is helping thanks. Since I'm running on only one PC currently it
    pretty much is a test environment. I've only started cutting my teeth on the
    basic stuff (ie limiting control panel and stuff).

Policy Microsoft Windows XP