kerplunkuk

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2003

My processor has died and its time to upgrade. I have my Radeon 9800 Pro,
and 1.5 gig of PC3200 DDR.
Should I replace my AMD XP2600+ for something similar, or upgrade board and
processor to 64 bit?
Would the performance increase be noticeable?

Thanks
--
REMOVE .BOLTS to reply
Victoria Concordia Crescit

wookie

Look in your pocket book ... I'd get the 64 bit if $ was not an issue ....
if it is I'd get an NF7-S.

KerplunKuK wrote:

> My processor has died and its time to upgrade. I have my Radeon 9800 Pro,
> and 1.5 gig of PC3200 DDR.
> Should I replace my AMD XP2600+ for something similar, or upgrade board and
> processor to 64 bit?
> Would the performance increase be noticeable?
>
> Thanks
> --
> REMOVE .BOLTS to reply
> Victoria Concordia Crescit

Well you have to decide which 64 bit standard of the 3 available might
suit you.
Personally Im waiting.
Get and xp3200 w/400 FSB and coast for a year or two.

Gordon

"KerplunKuK" <kerplunk.BOLTS@greenday.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> My processor has died and its time to upgrade. I have my Radeon 9800 Pro,
> and 1.5 gig of PC3200 DDR.
> Should I replace my AMD XP2600+ for something similar, or upgrade board
and
> processor to 64 bit?
> Would the performance increase be noticeable?

If your board will run at 200 fsb... why not get an xp2500+
and run it in synch with your memory?
200x11 for a cheap upgrade to an xp3200+!

Cheers
Ted

---

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

No..you should get a 2500+ Mobile version. Thise puppies run at a lower
voltage and usually go over 3200+. Check it out on google...there are many
reviews on the 2500+ M online. Right now, there isnt much of a preformance
gain in 64bit, at least on standard software. In order to take real
advantage, applications must be designed for 64 bit. I would wait for now,
till there is a board with DDR2 support and PCI Express. Good hunting

John
"texterted" <nospam@hotmail"100".com> wrote in message

> "KerplunKuK" <kerplunk.BOLTS@greenday.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> > My processor has died and its time to upgrade. I have my Radeon 9800
Pro,
> > and 1.5 gig of PC3200 DDR.
> > Should I replace my AMD XP2600+ for something similar, or upgrade board
> and
> > processor to 64 bit?
> > Would the performance increase be noticeable?
> >

> If your board will run at 200 fsb... why not get an xp2500+
> and run it in synch with your memory?
> 200x11 for a cheap upgrade to an xp3200+!
>
> Cheers
> Ted
>

> ---

kerplunkuk

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2003

Any suggestions on a new board then, to go with a 2500+ Mobile?

--

"John" <abatisti@inet.hr> wrote in message
> No..you should get a 2500+ Mobile version. Thise puppies run at a lower
> voltage and usually go over 3200+. Check it out on google...there are many
> reviews on the 2500+ M online. Right now, there isnt much of a preformance
> gain in 64bit, at least on standard software. In order to take real
> advantage, applications must be designed for 64 bit. I would wait for now,
> till there is a board with DDR2 support and PCI Express. Good hunting
>
> John
> "texterted" <nospam@hotmail"100".com> wrote in message
> >
> > "KerplunKuK" <kerplunk.BOLTS@greenday.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > My processor has died and its time to upgrade. I have my Radeon 9800
> Pro,
> > > and 1.5 gig of PC3200 DDR.
> > > Should I replace my AMD XP2600+ for something similar, or upgrade
board
> > and
> > > processor to 64 bit?
> > > Would the performance increase be noticeable?
> > >

> > If your board will run at 200 fsb... why not get an xp2500+
> > and run it in synch with your memory?
> > 200x11 for a cheap upgrade to an xp3200+!
> >
> > Cheers
> > Ted
> >

> > ---

On 7/15/2004 8:16 AM KerplunKuK brightened our day with:

>Any suggestions on a new board then, to go with a 2500+ Mobile?

What do you need a new board for? Does your current board handle 200
MHz FSB? I'd get one of these:
http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=6

As for the Athlon 64s, I'd love to have one, but they're just not cost
effective yet. Probably the most intensive thing I've got to run on my
system right now is FarCry and I recently came across a post of
benchmarks, one of which was with an Athlon64. With the only difference
being the Athlon64 (and my specs being pretty close to yours except
"just" 1 Gig RAM), that guy was getting 3 more fps than me (48 to 45) in
the standard FarCry benchmark. Now I know that's not entirely
indicative of all the Athlon64 is capable of, but wouldn't you hate to
shell out four or five hundred bucks on a cpu and new board and only
find minimal real world gains?

I second the recommendation for the XP 2500 Mobile. They run cooler and
faster than everything else and you can get them at newegg.com for $88.
I've got a regular unlocked XP 2500 that runs fine at 3200 speed.

--
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

- Inigo Montoya
Steve [Inglo]

Les

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001

> Any suggestions on a new board then, to go with a 2500+ Mobile?

ABIT NF7-S as another poster recommended, or ASUS A7N8X- Deluxe
--
Les
AMD64 3200+