  • CD-Rom
  • Windows XP
a b 8 Security
February 9, 2005 12:55:04 PM

I am trying to use the Security Update CD for XP Home. I log on as
administrator in safe mode and my screen resolution has changed so that I am
unable to read a lot of the instructions. I can't scroll. I try to change the
resolution but can't move the slider. My normal resolution (not in safe
mode) is 1024/768.
I would appreciate any help.
P.S. Can one live without this update?

More about : security update

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
February 9, 2005 5:48:44 PM

If you are referring to the SP1a security update CD, forget it.. install
SP2.. the first link tells you how, and the others tell you why..

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/m...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/features.mspx

Re. the screen resolution in Safe Mode.. the essence of Safe Mode is to give
the computer operator a working OS that is not hampered or affected by any
drivers other than any that are absolutely necessary.. the video driver
loaded in safe mode is therefore only capable of VGA's lowest resolution,
640 x 480.. there is no way to change this in safe mode..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm