AGP 4x Slot - AGP 8x Card

Hi folks,

My PC has an AGP4x slot im looking at purchasing an ATI 9800PRO card which
is apparently AGP8x.

Will this card work in an AGP4x slot ? If so will it have reduced
performance ?

Regards,

Andy.
10 answers Last reply
More about slot card

    Andy M wrote:
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > My PC has an AGP4x slot im looking at purchasing an ATI 9800PRO card
    > which is apparently AGP8x.
    >
    > Will this card work in an AGP4x slot ? If so will it have reduced
    > performance ?

    Yes it will work
    AGP 8 is obviously faster, but few games task the AGP interface enough for it to be noticeably
    better over x4. For the latest games (Far cry, KOTOR, et al), having 1GB of memory seems to be far
    more important than a x8 AGP

    The only thing I would say is that a mobo that only supports x4 probably doesnt support the sort of
    processor that will make best use of a 9800 pro.... XP2500 or equivalent is about right IMO for
    standard resolutions (1280x768 or 1280x1024).
    FYI, I initially bought my 9800 pro to go with an XP2000 and a x4 mobo, and typically got a 3DMark
    or around 11000-12000. With my current setup (XP2800, nForce 2), I get around 15000, (6400 in
    3DMark03) with the XP2800 making the big difference.

    the price of 9800pros has come down enough for this not to be an issue though. Many people see a
    9800 pro as a minimum entry for a new card that you dont want to have to change in a years time, and
    its prefereable to a 9600 for a new card even if you currently have a slower setup.

    HTH

    "Sham B" <shamb@easynet.co.ukNOSP> wrote in message
    > Andy M wrote:
    > > Hi folks,
    > >
    > > My PC has an AGP4x slot im looking at purchasing an ATI 9800PRO card
    > > which is apparently AGP8x.
    > >
    > > Will this card work in an AGP4x slot ? If so will it have reduced
    > > performance ?
    >
    > Yes it will work
    > AGP 8 is obviously faster, but few games task the AGP interface enough for
    it to be noticeably
    > better over x4. For the latest games (Far cry, KOTOR, et al), having 1GB
    of memory seems to be far
    > more important than a x8 AGP
    >
    > The only thing I would say is that a mobo that only supports x4 probably
    doesnt support the sort of
    > processor that will make best use of a 9800 pro.... XP2500 or equivalent
    is about right IMO for
    > standard resolutions (1280x768 or 1280x1024).
    > FYI, I initially bought my 9800 pro to go with an XP2000 and a x4 mobo,
    and typically got a 3DMark
    > or around 11000-12000. With my current setup (XP2800, nForce 2), I get
    around 15000, (6400 in
    > 3DMark03) with the XP2800 making the big difference.
    >
    > the price of 9800pros has come down enough for this not to be an issue
    though. Many people see a
    > 9800 pro as a minimum entry for a new card that you dont want to have to
    change in a years time, and
    > its prefereable to a 9600 for a new card even if you currently have a
    slower setup.

    > HTH

    Hi Sham,

    Appreciate the in-depth answer.
    I currently have an AMD 1.3Ghz processor so i guess i fall into the category
    of not having a processor upto the job of getting the very best out of a
    9800PRO.
    From the sounds of it though i should still get a good increase in
    quality/performance from the 7500 that im running at the mo.
    Thanks again.

    Regards,

    Andy.

    > From the sounds of it though i should still get a good increase in
    > quality/performance from the 7500 that im running at the mo.
    > Thanks again.

    You will, but in Far Cry, your system will begin to trade
    off between AI and Environ .. sometimes leading to respawning
    in the game .. especially in the end levels. If you force the
    Environ ( you will see it switch to Custom ), I think that
    certain "trigger points" in the AI fail to load, and the game
    begins to respawn forcing you to map to the next level.
    My 2000 is on its last go 'round. Maybe a P4 by Xmas
    if I can sneak it past Wifey.

    johns

    Certainly, but with a 1.3, your processor will be *by far* the biggest bottleneck there with the
    setup you have, and your increase wont be massive. Good idea to move up on the CPU soon, but I guess
    you know that already :)

    > Hi Sham,
    >
    > Appreciate the in-depth answer.
    > I currently have an AMD 1.3Ghz processor so i guess i fall into the
    > category of not having a processor upto the job of getting the very
    > best out of a 9800PRO.
    > From the sounds of it though i should still get a good increase in
    > quality/performance from the 7500 that im running at the mo.
    > Thanks again.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Andy.

    99% of the AGP 8X cards should also work at 4X.

    "Andy M" <fred@barney.com> wrote in message
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > My PC has an AGP4x slot im looking at purchasing an ATI 9800PRO card which
    > is apparently AGP8x.
    >
    > Will this card work in an AGP4x slot ? If so will it have reduced
    > performance ?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Andy.

    Yes, it will work. And Yes, it will have reduced performance.

    --
    DaveW

    "Andy M" <fred@barney.com> wrote in message
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > My PC has an AGP4x slot im looking at purchasing an ATI 9800PRO card which
    > is apparently AGP8x.
    >
    > Will this card work in an AGP4x slot ? If so will it have reduced
    > performance ?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Andy.

    Reduced yes, but the difference between 8x and 4x is minimal, just as the
    difference between 4x and 2x was minimal. Theoretically, each is doubly
    fast, but practically speaking, nothing pushes the AGP slot to the limit.
    For the same reason, PCI Express won't improve graphics card performance by
    a noticeable margin. It will improve other things in your system, however.

    > Yes, it will work. And Yes, it will have reduced performance.
    >
    > --
    > DaveW
    >

    > "Andy M" <fred@barney.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi folks,
    > >
    > > My PC has an AGP4x slot im looking at purchasing an ATI 9800PRO card
    which
    > > is apparently AGP8x.
    > >
    > > Will this card work in an AGP4x slot ? If so will it have reduced
    > > performance ?
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > Andy.

    Not entirely true. I have a P4 3.06HT on my P4B533, which is a 4x board.
    That CPU will certainly handle a 9800 Pro. In fact, I'm sticking a 6800GT
    in there next week, since my old videocard decided to blow 3 capacitors. :)

    A 9800 Pro would still be a decent choice for him, even though his CPU is on
    the slow side for the card. He'll still get support for fancy graphics
    features, but he'll just have to run in a lower resolution.

    "Sham B" <shamb@easynet.co.ukNOSP> wrote in message
    > The only thing I would say is that a mobo that only supports x4 probably
    doesnt support the sort of
    > processor that will make best use of a 9800 pro.... XP2500 or equivalent
    is about right IMO for
    > standard resolutions (1280x768 or 1280x1024).
    > FYI, I initially bought my 9800 pro to go with an XP2000 and a x4 mobo,
    and typically got a 3DMark
    > or around 11000-12000. With my current setup (XP2800, nForce 2), I get
    around 15000, (6400 in
    > 3DMark03) with the XP2800 making the big difference.
    >
    > the price of 9800pros has come down enough for this not to be an issue
    though. Many people see a
    > 9800 pro as a minimum entry for a new card that you dont want to have to
    change in a years time, and
    > its prefereable to a 9600 for a new card even if you currently have a
    slower setup.

    > HTH

    You can't make sweeping generalizations like this. It depends on the game.
    Counterstrike and Quake III will scream w/a 9800 Pro (at 1600x1200x32) as will
    Unreal 2003.

    >Certainly, but with a 1.3, your processor will be *by far* the biggest
    >bottleneck there with the
    >setup you have, and your increase wont be massive. Good idea to move up on
    >the CPU soon, but I guess
    >you know that already :)

    "Andy M" <fred@barney.com> wrote in message
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > My PC has an AGP4x slot im looking at purchasing an ATI 9800PRO card which
    > is apparently AGP8x.
    >
    > Will this card work in an AGP4x slot ? If so will it have reduced
    > performance ?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Andy.

    yes, and yes, though, how much you'll notice, IDK

Radeon Performance ATI Graphics