Is there any way to dissallow specific programs in XP Home

I really need to stop certain programs and services from being executed on XP
Home Edition. Is there anything like the software restriction policies
available in Professional for Home? Searching I've not uncovered anything.
Registry entries, third party programs, anything would be helpful.

If an example is needed, let's just say that under no circumstances do I
want C:\Windows\System32\calc.exe to be run.
2 answers Last reply
More about dissallow specific programs home

    If it is something not integrated into Windows (IE and OE are two), then
    just uninstall it - if it ain't there it can't be run.
    If you want some people to not run it and some to run it, then boot to safe
    mode, login with the built in Admin account and change the permissions of
    the software/files, then those that you don't want to run it can't access
    it, but beware, if they are Admins, or know how to use the built in Admin
    account, they can change it back.
    And no, GP will not run on XP Home.

    --
    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
    "Google is your Friend!"

    willhi895 wrote:

    > I really need to stop certain programs and services from being
    > executed on XP
    > Home Edition. Is there anything like the software restriction
    > policies
    > available in Professional for Home? Searching I've not uncovered
    > anything. Registry entries, third party programs, anything would be
    > helpful.
    >
    > If an example is needed, let's just say that under no circumstances do
    > I want C:\Windows\System32\calc.exe to be run.

    Start>Run regedit [enter]
    Navigate to:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

    Create a new DWORD value and namie it "DisallowRun" and set the value to
    "1" to enable application restrictions or "0" to allow all applications
    to run. Then create a new sub-key called
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\DisallowRun
    and define the applications that are to be restricted. Create a new
    string value for each application, named as consecutive numbers, and
    setting the value to the filename to be restricted (e.g."regedit.exe").
    Restart Windows for the changes to take effect.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers