restricting user password changes

In Windows 2000 it was possible for the administrator to restrict a user from
changing his password. That option does not appear to be available in
Windows XP Pro under user accounts management in Control Panel. Is there
some workaround, such as a registry change? Or is it actually possible but
I'm just too stupid to find the place to do it?

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:7FD3D07A-3921-4CAB-BF69-1A545A68FAA2@microsoft.com,
Gregg Shepherd <Gregg Shepherd@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> In Windows 2000 it was possible for the administrator to restrict a
> user from changing his password. That option does not appear to be
> available in Windows XP Pro under user accounts management in Control
> Panel. Is there some workaround, such as a registry change? Or is
> it actually possible but I'm just too stupid to find the place to do
> it?

Start > run > type control userpasswords2 > hit enter. On the new screen
click advanced > click advanced again. Select either users or groups (you
probably want specific user from your post) click on the account > under
general tab select "user can not change password" Click OK a couple of times
and you should be all set.

Galen

mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes