[HL2] Getting a joystick to work

Okay, so I finally bought a left-handed joystick so I can play with a
joystick and mouse (joystick for movement, mouse for aiming). I
successfully bound all of the buttons on the joystick to the things
that I'd use the keyboard for (quick-change weapons, open up the buy
menu in CS:S, flashlight, jump, crouch, etc.). However, I'm having one
game-stopping problem. The x-axis on the joystick rotates my view
instead of strafing! The y-axis works as expected: moving it forward
moves me forward, and moving me backwards moves me backwards. But
moving my mouse right and left already lets me rotate my view, so I
really need the joystick to handle strafing. Without strafing, I find
the joystick/mouse combination almost unplayable. I know someone on
here has gotten this to work before, so, I ask you ... how do you setup
the joystick to strafe along the x-axis instead of turn?

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

Dude, I'm your man with the plan! You need a joystick.cfg file in the cfg
folder that looks like this:

joy_name "Joystick"
joy_advanced 1.0
joy_advaxisx 3
joy_advaxisy 1
joy_forwardsensitivity -1.0
joy_sidesensitivity 0.5
joy_forwardthreshold 0.2
joy_sidethreshold 0.2

So copy and paste all of that into a notepad file and call it joystick.cfg
and put in the cfg folder and you are all set.

DaveL

"Cyde Weys" <cyde@umd.edu> wrote:
>Okay, so I finally bought a left-handed joystick so I can play with a
>joystick and mouse (joystick for movement, mouse for aiming). I
>game-stopping problem. The x-axis on the joystick rotates my view
>instead of strafing!

I use this with a Saitek Cyborg Evo, also makes the twist axis rotate:
[create something along the lines of
\\glass\data\games\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\wpns\half-life
2\hl2\cfg\joystick.cfg]

joy_name "Saitek Cyborg Evo - WPNS"
joy_advanced 1.0
joy_advaxisx 3
joy_advaxisy 1
// the Z axis is totally broken, ignore it
//joy_advaxisz 2
joy_advaxisr 4
joy_advaxisu 0
joy_advaxisv 0
joy_forwardsensitivity -1.0
joy_sidesensitivity 1.0
joy_pitchsensitivity -0.5
joy_yawsensitivity -1.0
joy_forwardthreshold 0.05
joy_sidethreshold 0.05
joy_yawthreshold 0.05
joy_pitchthreshold 0.2

slayer8976

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
OK here is the problem uhhhh how can i create or get this file

if you have the file e-mail it to staggy94@gmail.com or post a link to such file

TRENDING THREADS