Very Old Packard Bell Computer

Hi...

I am currently trying to help a friend install a network card in a
very old Packard Bell Legend 5385z computer. The motherboard is a
PB640. This friend has at long last bought a new computer, but wants
to transfer stuff off the old onto the new. Now my friend is not
computerly adept, so I am having to talk this subject along one little
step at a time.

Thats the background. Now the specifics. I have been unable to find
on the net ANY help with this machine - and I need help for the most
LUDICROUS thing - we can't find the expansion slots!! So if anyone
has any idea how and WHERE to fit a network card, I'd be most grateful
for the info

James

"enigma1" <enigma1@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> Hi...
>
> I am currently trying to help a friend install a network card in a
> very old Packard Bell Legend 5385z computer. The motherboard is a
> PB640. This friend has at long last bought a new computer, but wants
> to transfer stuff off the old onto the new. Now my friend is not
> computerly adept, so I am having to talk this subject along one little
> step at a time.
>
> Thats the background. Now the specifics. I have been unable to find
> on the net ANY help with this machine - and I need help for the most
> LUDICROUS thing - we can't find the expansion slots!! So if anyone
> has any idea how and WHERE to fit a network card, I'd be most grateful
> for the info
>
> James

On the back of the unit you will see metal slats that cover the expansion
slots which is situated on the Main Motherboard. The slot is white in nature
and its called a PCI slot which is on the Riser Card. There should be other
devices connected you will see white & black slots for expansion on the
Riser card.

The connector is located in the middle of the MB and is in front/side of the
metal oxide battery. (Depending how you look at the motherboard)

Elector

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 18:34:28 GMT, "Elector" <elector@my-deja.com>
wrote:

>"enigma1" <enigma1@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
>> Hi...
>>
>> I am currently trying to help a friend install a network card in a
>> very old Packard Bell Legend 5385z computer. The motherboard is a
>> PB640. This friend has at long last bought a new computer, but wants
>> to transfer stuff off the old onto the new. Now my friend is not
>> computerly adept, so I am having to talk this subject along one little
>> step at a time.
>>
>> Thats the background. Now the specifics. I have been unable to find
>> on the net ANY help with this machine - and I need help for the most
>> LUDICROUS thing - we can't find the expansion slots!! So if anyone
>> has any idea how and WHERE to fit a network card, I'd be most grateful
>> for the info
>>
>> James
>>

>On the back of the unit you will see metal slats that cover the expansion
>slots which is situated on the Main Motherboard. The slot is white in nature
>and its called a PCI slot which is on the Riser Card. There should be other
>devices connected you will see white & black slots for expansion on the
>Riser card.
>
>The connector is located in the middle of the MB and is in front/side of the
>metal oxide battery. (Depending how you look at the motherboard)
>
>Elector

hi Elector...

don't think this machine HAS pci slots....its that old :) I am
attaching a gif of the MB - I can't see ANYWHERE for expansion. Yes,
if I was THERE the first place I'd look would be at the blanking
plates on the back, because yes, whatever goes into the machine has
logically gotta poke out the back. But peering at a MB via a web cam
is difficult :))

James

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 17:10:53 +0000, enigma1 <enigma1@dsl.pipex.com>
wrote:

>Hi...
>
>I am currently trying to help a friend install a network card in a
>very old Packard Bell Legend 5385z computer. The motherboard is a
>PB640. This friend has at long last bought a new computer, but wants
>to transfer stuff off the old onto the new. Now my friend is not
>computerly adept, so I am having to talk this subject along one little
>step at a time.
>
>Thats the background. Now the specifics. I have been unable to find
>on the net ANY help with this machine - and I need help for the most
>LUDICROUS thing - we can't find the expansion slots!! So if anyone
>has any idea how and WHERE to fit a network card, I'd be most grateful
>for the info
>
>James
hi Elector...

don't think this machine HAS pci slots....its that old :) I am
attaching a gif of the MB - I can't see ANYWHERE for expansion. Yes,
if I was THERE the first place I'd look would be at the blanking
plates on the back, because yes, whatever goes into the machine has
logically gotta poke out the back. But peering at a MB via a web cam
is difficult :))

James
GIF87aÌš÷

wrote:

>Hi...
>
>I am currently trying to help a friend install a network card in a
>very old Packard Bell Legend 5385z computer. The motherboard is a
>PB640. This friend has at long last bought a new computer, but wants
>to transfer stuff off the old onto the new. Now my friend is not
>computerly adept, so I am having to talk this subject along one little
>step at a time.
>
>Thats the background. Now the specifics. I have been unable to find
>on the net ANY help with this machine - and I need help for the most
>LUDICROUS thing - we can't find the expansion slots!! So if anyone
>has any idea how and WHERE to fit a network card, I'd be most grateful
>for the info
>
>James

well THAT was a right disaster <lol> Can't get the attachment
attached - so here's a link to it

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/8774/mother/PB640.gif

James

Now that you've provided the URL to the board layout, I can assure you that the
original PB Legend had some PCI slots somewhere. If the chassis is a desktop
chassis, a riser card comes up from the center of the motherboard. If the
chassis is a large tower, the "riser" card sits above the motherboard, parallel
to it. Either way, the original had some PCI slots, 2, 3, or 4.

I'm assuming you have a PCI network card there. If not, the PB Legend had some
ISA bus slots, too. And an ISA network card installs into an ISA slot. Make
sure you have the drivers for the network card, drivers which are designed to
run under whatever Windows version (95? 98?) is on the computer. You will also
need a Windows CD to install the other network software, the Windows client,
File and Printer Sharing, and TCP/IP.

The PCI slots are white or beige and short. The ISA slots are long and black...
Ben Myers

> On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 17:10:53 +0000, enigma1 <enigma1@dsl.pipex.com>
> wrote:
<snip>
> well THAT was a right disaster <lol> Can't get the attachment
> attached - so here's a link to it
>
> http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/8774/mother/PB640.gif
>

> James

Ha ha yep the other gif showed up and it looks like the one I have on
Velix's CD of systems. But as Ben and I have previously pointed out
the system originally had a riser card with those slots. Maybe the
riser card is missing?

In any case Ben gave you the correct answer. Also on installs of NIC
cards etc. you are best to run the set up utility disk FIRST so as to
have the proper system resources available on card install.

If you have a USB which I see from the diagram you don't you could
have went with the USB Nic.

Sorry I could not help further.

Elector

Elector,

3COM and Intel provide setup utilities AND diagnostics for their PCI NICs.
Other brands like D-Link, Netgear, etc. have no diagnostcis whatsoever, and rely
on the combination of OS PnP and motherboard BIOS PnP for the card to install
OK. The early combinations of Win 95/98 and older mobo PnP make this a risky
proposition, sometimes succeeding and sometimes not. (In the rare case where I
have to sell someone a NIC, I use only 3COM and Intel cards, pulled from older
systems.)

FYI, a USB NIC on a really old Pentium-class computer is a recipe for disaster.
The USB port on this motherboard meets the original USB 1.0 spec, which often
did not work at all. ANY USB at all on a USB 1.0 computer us a recipe for
disaster... Ben Myers

> Elector,
>
> 3COM and Intel provide setup utilities AND diagnostics for their PCI NICs.
> Other brands like D-Link, Netgear, etc. have no diagnostcis whatsoever,
> and rely
> on the combination of OS PnP and motherboard BIOS PnP for the card to
> install
> OK. The early combinations of Win 95/98 and older mobo PnP make this a
> risky
> proposition, sometimes succeeding and sometimes not. (In the rare case
> where I
> have to sell someone a NIC, I use only 3COM and Intel cards, pulled from
> older
> systems.)
>
> FYI, a USB NIC on a really old Pentium-class computer is a recipe for
> disaster.
> The USB port on this motherboard meets the original USB 1.0 spec, which
> often
> did not work at all. ANY USB at all on a USB 1.0 computer us a recipe for
> disaster... Ben Myers

That advice about the USB is correct. I was looking at the mother board
diagram and I did not see a USB (1.1 or 2.0) so I don't think that will
matter. Also your right on the money with the 3COM Nics I use them all the
time because of the set up software utility which makes the install quite
easy.

Elector

wrote:

>Hi...
>
>I am currently trying to help a friend install a network card in a
>very old Packard Bell Legend 5385z computer. The motherboard is a
>PB640. This friend has at long last bought a new computer, but wants
>to transfer stuff off the old onto the new. Now my friend is not
>computerly adept, so I am having to talk this subject along one little
>step at a time.
>
>Thats the background. Now the specifics. I have been unable to find
>on the net ANY help with this machine - and I need help for the most
>LUDICROUS thing - we can't find the expansion slots!! So if anyone
>has any idea how and WHERE to fit a network card, I'd be most grateful
>for the info
>
>James

All noted, folks........gonna try again tonight (working at 5000
miles and 6 hours time diff <g>). I'll keep ya posted. Just one
small point - I posted over to my friend a selection of network cards
(I never throw ANYTHING out <g>) and there is a 3Com in there among
them. Now, anytime I have fitted a network card to a computer running
ANYTHING above windows95, I have never needed any kind of
drivers/setup utilities/wotever - its all just worked. Windows
recognised a card had been fitted etc etc. Now you lot got me worried
<g>

James

If the model of the network card is recognized by the presently installed
version of Windows (manufacturer's INF file somewhere on hard disk), AND the
drivers are somewhere on the hard drive, AND the rest of the important Windows
software (Client Mgr, File/Printer sharing, TCP/IP), the an added NIC will
install without a complaint by Windows. So it's a good idea to use a name-brand
NIC unless (and even if) you have an off-brand and the off-brand's installation
CD. (Sorry D-Link and Netgear. I consider you to be off-brands.)

Many name-brand vendors copy the Windows CD contents to the hard drive, and
effectively run the setup/install from the hard drive rather than from CD. Good
news & bad news. The good news is that you don't have to put a Windows CD in
the CD-ROM drive every time the system passes gas. The bad news comes when you
need a WIndows CD and you do not have one. Windows NT 4.0, 2000 Pro, XP Home,
and XP Pro all copy the contents of the CD to the hard drive during the install
process, making hardware upgrades, changes, and reconfiguration a lot easier.

Windows 95 has the most lame software/hardware update/installation procedures of
all. The best thing to be said about Windows 95 is that it managed to work
somehow... Ben Myers

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 17:06:53 +0000, enigma1 <enigma1@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 17:10:53 +0000, enigma1 <enigma1@dsl.pipex.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Hi...
>>
>>I am currently trying to help a friend install a network card in a
>>very old Packard Bell Legend 5385z computer. The motherboard is a
>>PB640. This friend has at long last bought a new computer, but wants
>>to transfer stuff off the old onto the new. Now my friend is not
>>computerly adept, so I am having to talk this subject along one little
>>step at a time.
>>
>>Thats the background. Now the specifics. I have been unable to find
>>on the net ANY help with this machine - and I need help for the most
>>LUDICROUS thing - we can't find the expansion slots!! So if anyone
>>has any idea how and WHERE to fit a network card, I'd be most grateful
>>for the info
>>
>>James
>

>All noted, folks........gonna try again tonight (working at 5000
>miles and 6 hours time diff <g>). I'll keep ya posted. Just one
>small point - I posted over to my friend a selection of network cards
>(I never throw ANYTHING out <g>) and there is a 3Com in there among
>them. Now, anytime I have fitted a network card to a computer running
>ANYTHING above windows95, I have never needed any kind of
>drivers/setup utilities/wotever - its all just worked. Windows
>recognised a card had been fitted etc etc. Now you lot got me worried
><g>
>
>James

Anthony

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

"enigma1" <enigma1@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> Hi...
>
> I am currently trying to help a friend install a network card in a
> very old Packard Bell Legend 5385z computer. The motherboard is a
> PB640. This friend has at long last bought a new computer, but wants
> to transfer stuff off the old onto the new. Now my friend is not
> computerly adept, so I am having to talk this subject along one little
> step at a time.
>
> Thats the background. Now the specifics. I have been unable to find
> on the net ANY help with this machine - and I need help for the most
> LUDICROUS thing - we can't find the expansion slots!! So if anyone
> has any idea how and WHERE to fit a network card, I'd be most grateful
> for the info
>
> James

James,

How about a different approach....

Remove the hard drive from the PB computer and install it temporaily in the
new computer. Either leave set to a master CD and install it as a Master
drive on the 2nd IDE chain, or change it to slave and install it on the
primary IDE chain.

Just a simplier way that trying to transfer using a NOC and file sharing.

Good luck
Anthony

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 02:45:38 GMT, "Anthony" <gfhkj@lkjgsfdkj.jky>
wrote:

>"enigma1" <enigma1@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
>> Hi...
>>
>> I am currently trying to help a friend install a network card in a
>> very old Packard Bell Legend 5385z computer. The motherboard is a
>> PB640. This friend has at long last bought a new computer, but wants
>> to transfer stuff off the old onto the new. Now my friend is not
>> computerly adept, so I am having to talk this subject along one little
>> step at a time.
>>
>> Thats the background. Now the specifics. I have been unable to find
>> on the net ANY help with this machine - and I need help for the most
>> LUDICROUS thing - we can't find the expansion slots!! So if anyone
>> has any idea how and WHERE to fit a network card, I'd be most grateful
>> for the info
>>
>> James
>>

>James,
>
>How about a different approach....
>
>Remove the hard drive from the PB computer and install it temporaily in the
>new computer. Either leave set to a master CD and install it as a Master
>drive on the 2nd IDE chain, or change it to slave and install it on the
>primary IDE chain.
>
>Just a simplier way that trying to transfer using a NOC and file sharing.
>
>Good luck
>Anthony

thanks for that Anthony..........that one is under active
consideration too. But it would have been nice to network the two
and thus leave my friend with a capable backup/storage thing.

James

transferred files from my old packard bell using the serial ports for
networking.

Terry