Old 9800 vs. new 9600

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 17, 2004 11:53:05 PM

I'm looking for a card that offers full support for around $150. I see
that I can buy an older 9800 series:
Radeon 9800/128MB RAM,
9800SE with 128MB

Or I can buy a newer 9600 series:
9600XT with 256MB RAM.

Oh, and just for the sake of argument, pricewatch.com lists 9700's with
128MB in that range as well.

So for the money, which of those cards offers the best performance?

More about : 9800 9600

July 18, 2004 12:06:24 AM

Fat-fingered part of that message, by "full support", I meant "full Dx9
support").

July 18, 2004 6:54:15 AM

"jm" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:o psba52rwesq4lz0@jmhome.olathe01.ks.comcast...
> I'm looking for a card that offers full support for around $150. I see
> that I can buy an older 9800 series:
> Radeon 9800/128MB RAM,
> 9800SE with 128MB
>
> Or I can buy a newer 9600 series:
> 9600XT with 256MB RAM.
>
> Oh, and just for the sake of argument, pricewatch.com lists 9700's with
> 128MB in that range as well.
>
> So for the money, which of those cards offers the best performance?

The 9800 Pro 128Mb outperforms all the others by a substantial margin. Best
value for the money on your list. The 9700 Pro is the next best choice. It's
within about 5% of the 9800 Pro performance wise.
July 18, 2004 7:38:11 AM

You are unlikely to need a 256Mb card, and when the time for that kind of memory comes by, we'll be
a couple of GPU families up, and something like a 9600 just wont cut it... for the here and now,
256Mb cards tend to have slower memory than the 128Mb, so cross 256Mb cards off the list.

Out of the 128Mb cards, the 9800 pro is the fastest, and from my experience of it, it is a very good
card. With an after sales heatsink, it becomes very overclockable, and the latest cards have the
R360 GPU (next one up from the one advertised as fitted).

May not be the top dog, but still very much the gamers choice, and well as being recommended in a
number of sites and mags as the best general gaming card, when considering price vs performance.

> So for the money, which of those cards offers the best performance?
Anonymous
July 18, 2004 2:41:25 PM

jm wrote:

> Fat-fingered part of that message, by "full support", I meant "full
> Dx9 support").

Out of that bunch the 9800 Pro by far.

regards

@ndrew
Anonymous
July 18, 2004 3:33:46 PM

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 02:54:15 GMT, "Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com>
wrote:

>"jm" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>news:o psba52rwesq4lz0@jmhome.olathe01.ks.comcast...
>> I'm looking for a card that offers full support for around $150. I see
>> that I can buy an older 9800 series:
>> Radeon 9800/128MB RAM,
>> 9800SE with 128MB
>>
>> Or I can buy a newer 9600 series:
>> 9600XT with 256MB RAM.
>>
>> Oh, and just for the sake of argument, pricewatch.com lists 9700's with
>> 128MB in that range as well.
>>
>> So for the money, which of those cards offers the best performance?
>
>The 9800 Pro 128Mb outperforms all the others by a substantial margin. Best
>value for the money on your list. The 9700 Pro is the next best choice. It's
>within about 5% of the 9800 Pro performance wise.

Agreed. In particular, don't go for SE versions.

patrickp

July 20, 2004 12:20:27 AM

Thanks for all of the replies, I appreciate the advice. Given what
everyone has said, I think I'll up the ante from $150 range to the $190 -
$200 range and get a 9800 Pro card. Seems like the best bang for the buck.

Regards.

Jeremy
!