  • Microsoft
  • Antivirus
  • Windows XP
February 10, 2005 8:41:05 PM

http://enterprise-security-today.newsfactor.com/story.x...

I found that and it seems like microsoft is bundling a antivirus and an
antispyware together and it looks like they are going to chare for it. So
what happens to the free (well currently free antispyware application?) Are
you still going to let people use it for free without the bundled antivirus
or are you selling the antivirus and antispyware package together without
giving people a free antispyware. I know you never promised people anything,
and I know why. I just think it's really messed up that you would do
anuthing like this and your reputation isn't good in the first place. Be
prepared for the bashing, and I don't blame anyone. I think you knew what
you were going to do all along.

Michelle

More about : question

February 10, 2005 9:51:44 PM

Michelle wrote:

http://enterprise-security-today.newsfactor.com/story.x...

> I found that and it seems like microsoft is bundling a antivirus and
> an
> antispyware together and it looks like they are going to chare for it.
> So
> what happens to the free (well currently free antispyware
> application?) Are you still going to let people use it for free
> without the bundled antivirus or are you selling the antivirus and
> antispyware package together without
> giving people a free antispyware. I know you never promised people
> anything,
> and I know why. I just think it's really messed up that you would do
> anuthing like this and your reputation isn't good in the first place.
> Be
> prepared for the bashing, and I don't blame anyone. I think you knew
> what you were going to do all along.
>
> Michelle

Feel better? You should know that you aren't talking to Microsoft when
you post in this newsgroup. This is a public newsgroup hosted on
Microsoft servers and the people who post here are all volunteers.
Occasionally, MS employees will post but that is on their own time and
not as official representatives of the company.

The MS Anti-Spyware program is *beta*. That means it isn't finished yet.
No one outside of MS knows what the final program will look like or if
MS will charge for it. In any case, there are other free alternatives
and no one will force you to use MSAS.

If you would like to make comments about MSAS, do it in one of the
newsgroups specially set up for that purpose:

- microsoft.private.security.spyware.announcements
- microsoft.private.security.spyware.appcompat
- microsoft.private.security.spyware.general
- microsoft.private.security.spyware.install
- microsoft.private.security.spyware.networking
- microsoft.private.security.spyware.signatures
- microsoft.private.security.spyware.onlinecommunity

These newsgroups can be accessed via NNTP or HTTP. To access these
newsgroups using HTTP, please go to the following location:

http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp...

To access these newsgroups using NNTP, please use the following
information for your NNTP client (such as Microsoft Outlook Express):

- NNTP Server: privatenews.microsoft.com
- Account name: privatenews\spyware
- Password: spyware

NOTE: No password will be required via the HTTP link.

If you would like to make a comment about MS products, here is a link to
a place you can do that:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=114491 - How to Contact the Microsoft
Wish Program

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

Microsoft clearly states that the Microsoft Antispy program
is a "beta" program (testing phase) and it expires on
July 31, 2005. Any other information will be announced
by Microsoft, in due time, by visiting www.microsoft.com.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Michelle" wrote:

| http://enterprise-security-today.newsfactor.com/story.x...
|
| I found that and it seems like microsoft is bundling a antivirus and an
| antispyware together and it looks like they are going to chare for it. So
| what happens to the free (well currently free antispyware application?) Are
| you still going to let people use it for free without the bundled antivirus
| or are you selling the antivirus and antispyware package together without
| giving people a free antispyware. I know you never promised people anything,
| and I know why. I just think it's really messed up that you would do
| anuthing like this and your reputation isn't good in the first place. Be
| prepared for the bashing, and I don't blame anyone. I think you knew what
| you were going to do all along.
|
| Michelle
a b 8 Security
February 11, 2005 11:31:10 AM

"Malke" <noreply@invalid.com> wrote in message

> Feel better? You should know that you aren't talking to Microsoft when
> you post in this newsgroup. This is a public newsgroup hosted on
> Microsoft servers and the people who post here are all volunteers.
> Occasionally, MS employees will post but that is on their own time and
> not as official representatives of the company.

Actually when we do post it is regarded as representative of our company -
we are not allowed to make personal opinionated statements. It is regarded
the same as if I was on stage at a public technical conference.

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

> [...]
> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.appcompat
> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.general
> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.install
> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.networking
> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.signatures
> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.onlinecommunity
>
> These newsgroups can be accessed via NNTP or HTTP. To access these
> newsgroups using HTTP, please go to the following location:
>
> http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp...
>
> To access these newsgroups using NNTP, please use the following
> information for your NNTP client (such as Microsoft Outlook Express):
>
> - NNTP Server: privatenews.microsoft.com
> - Account name: privatenews\spyware
> - Password: spyware
>
> NOTE: No password will be required via the HTTP link.
>
> If you would like to make a comment about MS products, here is a link to

February 11, 2005 11:31:11 AM

Mike Brannigan [MSFT] wrote:

> "Malke" <noreply@invalid.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Feel better? You should know that you aren't talking to Microsoft
>> when you post in this newsgroup. This is a public newsgroup hosted on
>> Microsoft servers and the people who post here are all volunteers.
>> Occasionally, MS employees will post but that is on their own time
>> and not as official representatives of the company.
>
> Actually when we do post it is regarded as representative of our
> company -
> we are not allowed to make personal opinionated statements. It is
> regarded the same as if I was on stage at a public technical
> conference.

Thanks, Mike. I've made a note of it.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
February 11, 2005 11:37:40 AM

"Michelle" <Michelle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> http://enterprise-security-today.newsfactor.com/story.x...
>
> I found that and it seems like microsoft is bundling a antivirus and an
> antispyware together and it looks like they are going to chare for it. So
> what happens to the free (well currently free antispyware application?)
> Are
> you still going to let people use it for free without the bundled
> antivirus
> or are you selling the antivirus and antispyware package together without
> giving people a free antispyware. I know you never promised people
> anything,
> and I know why. I just think it's really messed up that you would do
> anuthing like this and your reputation isn't good in the first place. Be
> prepared for the bashing, and I don't blame anyone. I think you knew what
> you were going to do all along.

Michelle,

The article make no mention of any antivirus product (although we have just
bought Sybari http://www.sybari.com/)
If we did release a number of security products why would you expect them to
be fee when all other vendors products for anti virus and anti spyware are
charged for and in many cases subscription based. You also need to consider
the potential legal issue that providing a direct competitor to a commercial
product for free may cause.
As regards your comment about the currently "free" anti spyware product -
this is no different to the currently free Beta of the x64 versions of
Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 you can download - this is pre
release/incomplete trail software and you will be required to purchase the
final released version if you wish to use it once we ship it.

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

"Michelle" <Michelle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> http://enterprise-security-today.newsfactor.com/story.x...
>
> I found that and it seems like microsoft is bundling a antivirus and an
> antispyware together and it looks like they are going to chare for it. So
> what happens to the free (well currently free antispyware application?)
> Are
> you still going to let people use it for free without the bundled
> antivirus
> or are you selling the antivirus and antispyware package together without
> giving people a free antispyware. I know you never promised people
> anything,
> and I know why. I just think it's really messed up that you would do
> anuthing like this and your reputation isn't good in the first place. Be
> prepared for the bashing, and I don't blame anyone. I think you knew what
> you were going to do all along.
>
> Michelle
February 11, 2005 7:11:04 PM

Well I have a question (another one), yes many antiviruses do charge for
their antivirus but some do not. Some have a pro though where they do
charge, but some they may have a free version. Antivir, Avast, Avg. They
all have free versions, and you say ALL antiviruses charge and that just
isn't true. And there are free antispyware applications too. I just think
it's a bad idea for Microsoft to make, at least you can give a cripled
version of your program for free. You know what I am saying? I also use
Webroot Spysweeper and I like this product better than your beta, and yes I
did try your beta but I uninstalled it right away after I found that Webroot
Spysweeper found stuff that your program missed. Though your program isn't
too bad, but I think it needs some work. And on top of all that if I could
just say something will your program be in stores, because if it is going to
be there is a slight chance I may buy it, but if you are just selling it over
line there is no chance I could buy it, because I don't have a credit card.

Yes, most do charge (antiviruses), but they are not Microsoft. You created
windows and I think it would be nice if you really did care about keeping a
user safe from threats, but it doesn't seem that you do, does it? Thanks

Michelle

"Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" wrote:

> [...]
>
> "Michelle" <Michelle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > http://enterprise-security-today.newsfactor.com/story.x...
> >
> > I found that and it seems like microsoft is bundling a antivirus and an
> > antispyware together and it looks like they are going to chare for it. So
> > what happens to the free (well currently free antispyware application?)
> > Are
> > you still going to let people use it for free without the bundled
> > antivirus
> > or are you selling the antivirus and antispyware package together without
> > giving people a free antispyware. I know you never promised people
> > anything,
> > and I know why. I just think it's really messed up that you would do
> > anuthing like this and your reputation isn't good in the first place. Be
> > prepared for the bashing, and I don't blame anyone. I think you knew what

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
February 12, 2005 3:38:31 AM

"Michelle" <Michelle@discvssions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Well I have a qvestion (another one), yes many antivirvses do charge for
> their antivirvs bvt some do not. Some have a pro thovgh where they do
> charge, bvt some they may have a free version. Antivir, Avast, Avg. They
> all have free versions, and yov say ALL antivirvses charge and that jvst
> isn't trve.

I accept that certain smaller companies offer companies offer a limited
license for certain version of their prodvcts. I spend a large amovnt of my
time dealing with the corporate space where those prodvcts are not
acceptable.

>And there are free antispyware applications too. I jvst think
> it's a bad idea for Microsoft to make, at least yov can give a cripled
> version of yovr program for free.

I refer yov to my previovs mention of possible anti trvst issves.

> Yov know what I am saying? I also vse
> Webroot Spysweeper and I like this prodvct better than yovr beta, and yes
> did try yovr beta bvt I vninstalled it right away after I fovnd that
> Webroot
> Spysweeper fovnd stvff that yovr program missed. Thovgh yovr program
> isn't
> too bad, bvt I think it needs some work.

Well yes that IS what a Beta is - a work in progress.
There is a difference between a finished polished prodvct and a pre release
work in progress.

> And on top of all that if I covld
> jvst say something will yovr program be in stores, becavse if it is going
> be there is a slight chance I may bvy it, bvt if yov are jvst selling it
> over
> line there is no chance I covld bvy it, becavse I don't have a credit
> card.

As I said distribvtion channels for any particvlar anti spyware prodvct have
not been finalized.

> Yes, most do charge (antivirvses), bvt they are not Microsoft. Yov
> created
> windows and I think it wovld be nice if yov really did care abovt keeping
> vser safe from threats, bvt it doesn't seem that yov do, does it? Thanks

I assvme yov are aware of Windows Updates and ovr monthly secvrity releases
as well as the bvlletins and alerts yov can receive all as part of ovr
service to ensvre yov have as mvch knowledge as possible to help ensvre yovr
PC is as secvre as needs be.
Personally I wovld love for vs to cover all yovr bases for yov in al the
areas of yovr vse of yovr PC bvt vnfortvnatly other companies, pressvre
grovps and even government bodies keep bringing vs into covrts to litigate
abovt ovr ability to inclvde featvres in ovr Windows prodvct to provide yov
with a complete system. E.g shovld yov need to download a browser to view
pages and data on the internet, some think not, shovld yov need to
download or install components jvst to allow yov to play CDs or view media
content, some think not. We are cvrrently being litigated against by the
Evropean Union that has resvlted in vs having to prodvce a version of
Windows XP that cannot even play a CD if yov pvt one in yovr PC. see
http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/legal/evdecision/faq.as...;clcid=0x809.
Do yov think we wovld be allowed to inclvde a free Anti Virvs and Anti Virvs
prodvcts as part of the OS withovt vs ending vp in covrt again?

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

Please note I cannot respond to e-mailed qvestions, please vse these
newsgrovps

> [...]
>> >
>> > I fovnd that and it seems like microsoft is bvndling a antivirvs and an
>> > antispyware together and it looks like they are going to chare for it.
>> > So
>> > what happens to the free (well cvrrently free antispyware application?)
>> > Are
>> > yov still going to let people vse it for free withovt the bvndled
>> > antivirvs
>> > or are yov selling the antivirvs and antispyware package together
>> > withovt
>> > giving people a free antispyware. I know yov never promised people
>> > anything,
>> > and I know why. I jvst think it's really messed vp that yov wovld do
>> > anvthing like this and yovr repvtation isn't good in the first place.
>> > Be
>> > prepared for the bashing, and I don't blame anyone. I think yov knew

February 12, 2005 3:38:32 AM

I don't vnderstand, if yov jvst want to make yovr operating system/systems
the best it can be then how covld they stop yov? Afterall yov are doing it
for yovr cvstomers. Another thing yes I am aware of the windows vpdates, and
I do like the new featvres yov added to the the os. I am a former vser of
windows 98 and we got a new compvter that had windows xp home edition xp1
installed and I do like all the secvrity featvres yov've installed. The
Secvrity center is very good and I do like this as well as windows xp, it's a
lot better than windows 98 and I am glad yov answered my qvestions thovgh I
still don't see how they can stop yov if yov wanted to make yovr os better
and the os that yov had to make that cannot even play a cd I jvst think that
is nonsense too. I don't think yov shovld have had to do that, afterall yov
are jvst giving cvstomers the best compvter experience or trying too and I
don't vnderstand why anyone wovld want to stop yov from doing that. Thanks.

Michelle

"Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" wrote:

> [...]
> >> consider
> >> the potential legal issve that providing a direct competitor to a
> >> commercial
> >> prodvct for free may cavse.
> >> As regards yovr comment abovt the cvrrently "free" anti spyware prodvct -
> >> this is no different to the cvrrently free Beta of the x64 versions of
> >> Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 yov can download - this is pre
> >> release/incomplete trail software and yov will be reqvired to pvrchase
> >> the
> >> final released version if yov wish to vse it once we ship it.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Mike
> >> --
> >> Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

> >> rights
> >>
> >> Please note I cannot respond to e-mailed qvestions, please vse these

February 12, 2005 3:38:32 AM

"Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" wrote:

> [...]
> >> As regards yovr comment abovt the cvrrently "free" anti spyware prodvct -
> >> this is no different to the cvrrently free Beta of the x64 versions of
> >> Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 yov can download - this is pre
> >> release/incomplete trail software and yov will be reqvired to pvrchase
> >> the
> >> final released version if yov wish to vse it once we ship it.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Mike
> >> --
> >> Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

> >> rights
> >>
> >> Please note I cannot respond to e-mailed qvestions, please vse these
> >> newsgrovps
> >>
> >> "Michelle" <Michelle@discvssions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Thovgh I am sorry Mike, I think I do owe yov an apology. I feel very bad now for blaming yov. Sorry.

Michelle

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
February 12, 2005 4:36:12 AM

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 16:11:04 -0800, Michelle wrote:
> You created
> windows and I think it would be nice if you really did care about keeping a
> user safe from threats, but it doesn't seem that you do, does it? Thanks

I hate to tell you this, but I've been running Windows based systems since
they came out and have never had a single compromised machine, not one
virus, not one worm, nada....

MS has some very clear documents on how to setup secure systems, even for
XP, and they even tell you how to setup your browser and email for
protecting your computer while on the net.

Even though I run a Quality Antivirus program, other than test viruses
that we've used to check different AV software, it's never found a single
virus on our systems - it's actually simple if you take the time to
understand the threats and their methods.

Check the SECURITY pages on the MS site, you might be surprised at what
you learn.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me