AGP Aperture size

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 18, 2004 2:15:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Thanks for the answer to my previous question.
While in the Bios I noticed the AGP Aperture size. It is currently set to
64M.
What is it and should it be set to 256M for a 256MB card?

Regards

More about : agp aperture size

July 18, 2004 2:27:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

it determines how much sytem ram is reserved for agp textures i believe or
something or other generally from what i understand is you have it set to
half of your graphics ram so if you got a 256mb card set it to 128mb agp
aperture.

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 10:15:22 GMT, "roger" <elvis@graceland.net> wrote:

>:>Thanks for the answer to my previous question.
>:>While in the Bios I noticed the AGP Aperture size. It is currently set to
>:>64M.
>:>What is it and should it be set to 256M for a 256MB card?
>:>
>:>Regards
>:>

-----
Lee.
Anonymous
July 18, 2004 3:46:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"roger" <elvis@graceland.net>
wrote in news:_4sKc.520$F74.141@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net:
> Thanks for the answer to my previous question.
> While in the Bios I noticed the AGP Aperture size. It is currently
> set to 64M.
> What is it and should it be set to 256M for a 256MB card?
>
> Regards

You don't want to be using the much slower system RAM to save textures.
Neither do games. From what I hear, games will try to limit the use of
system RAM (by not using it at all) and remain within the constraints of
the video RAM to remain fast. Just because you up the AGP aperture size
doesn't mean the game will use it as the game may restrict itself to
only using video RAM. Also, video resolution (usually selectable with a
game) can make an impact on whether or not system RAM will get used.
Note that just having a large AGP aperture specified does not used up
that memory until it actually gets asked for; however, the GART table
will get bigger.

There are problems with making the AGP aperture large under Windows 9x;
see http://support.microsoft.com/?id=253912. This does not apply under
Windows NT/2K/XP (but the GART is larger and thus uses more memory).
You never specified what operating system you are using (or if you are
even using Windows). The general rule is to make it half the size of
your system RAM (if half the size of system RAM is not a selection for
AGP aperture size in BIOS, then pick the next size under that).
However, you can also start a low AGP aperture size, play your game, and
check if it is jerky or slow, then up the AGP aperture size and check
again as you test at each setting to see if there really is any
improvement in game play.

Have a read at http://www.tweak3d.net/articles/aperture-size/ and
http://www.cybercpu.net/howto/basic/AGP_aperture/ (and part 2 at
http://www.cybercpu.net/howto/basic/AGP_aperture_2/inde...). Although
these articles are dated back in 2002, the AGP 2.0 spec is dated back in
1998 (ftp://download.intel.com/technology/agp/downloads/agp20...) and
AGP 3.0 is dated at 2002
(ftp://download.intel.com/technology/agp/downloads/agp30...);
section 5.3 discusses AGP aperture. You'll have to check what AGP spec
your video card supports. What they do show is that the best AGP
aperture size depends on the application so each additional AGP aperture
increase may not afford an increase in the application (i.e., going
bigger can actually mean going slower). More user-informative articles
were found at http://www.ocfaq.com/article.php/overclocking/vidcard/4...
and
http://www.adriansrojakpot.com/Speed_Demonz/New_BIOS_Gu....
It comes down to: If you don't test it, you won't know. Plus setting it
optimal for one game or application won't necessarily make it optimal
for everything.
July 18, 2004 5:37:12 PM

"roger" <elvis@graceland.net> wrote in message
> Thanks for the answer to my previous question.
> While in the Bios I noticed the AGP Aperture size. It is currently
set to
> 64M.
> What is it and should it be set to 256M for a 256MB card?
>
> Regards

Sham B's explanation is good, overall.
If you set it too low (under 16 or maybe 32) you revert to 2x AGP, I
believe.
I read a few articles about testing the different Aperture setting
with various cards, and it didn't seem to make a lot of difference to
most cards. However, the commonly recommended settings was either 64
or 128MB.
Don't go below 32 and try up to the maximum you can set it to. You can
experiment yourself and let us know. You really can't mess anything up
trying, and , who knows, you might just find the 'sweet' spot for your
particular setup.
You can Google for more info on the sugject.
Adrian Rojak has something intersting words on it. Check his BIOS
stuff on his homepage:
http://www.rojakpot.com/
Click on the free version of
The Definitive BIOS Optimization Guide
Revision 8.0 Interim Release 9

Here is one of his statements about Aperture (he continues on with the
reasons, or at least his old version did):
"Please note that the AGP aperture is merely address space, not actual
physical memory in use. Although it is very common to hear people
recommending that the AGP aperture size should be half the size of
system memory, that is wrong!"

Buffalo
July 18, 2004 6:21:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

I think from what I have seen myself you will get about a 2% increase in
performance from 64mb to 128mb at least with newer model cards or it could
be mainly based on gf4 cards.

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 13:37:12 GMT, "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid>
wrote:

>:>
>:>"roger" <elvis@graceland.net> wrote in message
>:>news:_4sKc.520$F74.141@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net...
>:>> Thanks for the answer to my previous question.
>:>> While in the Bios I noticed the AGP Aperture size. It is currently
>:>set to
>:>> 64M.
>:>> What is it and should it be set to 256M for a 256MB card?
>:>>
>:>> Regards
>:>
>:>Sham B's explanation is good, overall.
>:>If you set it too low (under 16 or maybe 32) you revert to 2x AGP, I
>:>believe.
>:>I read a few articles about testing the different Aperture setting
>:>with various cards, and it didn't seem to make a lot of difference to
>:>most cards. However, the commonly recommended settings was either 64
>:>or 128MB.
>:>Don't go below 32 and try up to the maximum you can set it to. You can
>:>experiment yourself and let us know. You really can't mess anything up
>:>trying, and , who knows, you might just find the 'sweet' spot for your
>:>particular setup.
>:>You can Google for more info on the sugject.
>:>Adrian Rojak has something intersting words on it. Check his BIOS
>:>stuff on his homepage:
>:>http://www.rojakpot.com/
>:>Click on the free version of
>:>The Definitive BIOS Optimization Guide
>:>Revision 8.0 Interim Release 9
>:>
>:>Here is one of his statements about Aperture (he continues on with the
>:>reasons, or at least his old version did):
>:>"Please note that the AGP aperture is merely address space, not actual
>:>physical memory in use. Although it is very common to hear people
>:>recommending that the AGP aperture size should be half the size of
>:>system memory, that is wrong!"
>:>
>:>
>:>Buffalo
>:>

-----
Lee.
Anonymous
July 18, 2004 7:55:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Actually, I've tested some various settings, on older systems, if it
goes below 12k, directX shuts off and a reinstall wont bring it back.

--
Mark H --- Frag on !
NF7-S v2.0 Win2k-sp4

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

On 7/18/2004 3:15 AM roger brightened our day with:

>Thanks for the answer to my previous question.
>While in the Bios I noticed the AGP Aperture size. It is currently set to
>64M.
>What is it and should it be set to 256M for a 256MB card?
>
>Regards

There is only one instance where I've seen AGP Aperture size
demonstratively come into play. If you've used the wrapper for the Ruby
demo, in the readme it says for 128 Mb cards you should set your AGP
Aperture to 256 Mb, this is absolutely true in order to get decent
performance out of that demo.
Otherwise I don't see any noticeable difference between 64 and 256.

--
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

- Inigo Montoya
Steve [Inglo]
HES PORN
Anonymous
July 18, 2004 9:27:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

On 7/18/2004 10:12 AM Inglo brightened our day with:

> On 7/18/2004 3:15 AM roger brightened our day with:
>
>> Thanks for the answer to my previous question.
>> While in the Bios I noticed the AGP Aperture size. It is currently
>> set to
>> 64M.
>> What is it and should it be set to 256M for a 256MB card?
>>
>> Regards
>>

> There is only one instance where I've seen AGP Aperture size
> demonstratively come into play. If you've used the wrapper for the
> Ruby demo, in the readme it says for 128 Mb cards you should set your
> AGP Aperture to 256 Mb, this is absolutely true in order to get decent
> performance out of that demo.
> Otherwise I don't see any noticeable difference between 64 and 256.

I should add that this somewhat leads me to believe that a 256 Mb
aperture may be advantageous for the next round of bleeding edge game
releases.
I guess we'll find out when Doom ]|[ and Half-Life 2 get here.

--
Steve [Inglo]
Anonymous

"Inglo" <ingloogoo@zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.xcc> wrote in message
> On 7/18/2004 10:12 AM Inglo brightened our day with:
>
> > On 7/18/2004 3:15 AM roger brightened our day with:
> >
> >> Thanks for the answer to my previous question.
> >> While in the Bios I noticed the AGP Aperture size. It is currently
> >> set to
> >> 64M.
> >> What is it and should it be set to 256M for a 256MB card?
> >>
> >> Regards
> >>

> > There is only one instance where I've seen AGP Aperture size
> > demonstratively come into play. If you've used the wrapper for the
> > Ruby demo, in the readme it says for 128 Mb cards you should set your
> > AGP Aperture to 256 Mb, this is absolutely true in order to get decent
> > performance out of that demo.
> > Otherwise I don't see any noticeable difference between 64 and 256.
> >

> I should add that this somewhat leads me to believe that a 256 Mb
> aperture may be advantageous for the next round of bleeding edge game
> releases.
> I guess we'll find out when Doom ]|[ and Half-Life 2 get here.
>
> --
> Steve [Inglo]

AGP Apreature is to the Video Memory like the Virtual (HDD) Memory is to
System Memory. When the Video memory becomes used up it uses the AGP
Apreture. It's only really noticable then the video games/program requires
more Video memory then is availiable on the card.

-Liggyman
Anonymous
July 19, 2004 12:30:50 AM

The below sounds like a good plan. For 98SE I followed all the general rules
about setting AGP aperture size and certain maps in Battlefield 1942 and
BlooodRayne ran like slide shows at all resolutions. This was with a 9800 Pro
and a 9500 Pro under 98SE. When I increased my AGP aperture size to 512MB all
these problems disappeared. I know of at least one other person running 98SE
for which changing the AGP aperture size to 512MB cleared up problems for him.
Does anyone know why this works though?

>even using Windows). The general rule is to make it half the size of
>your system RAM (if half the size of system RAM is not a selection for
>AGP aperture size in BIOS, then pick the next size under that).
>However, you can also start a low AGP aperture size, play your game, and
>check if it is jerky or slow, then up the AGP aperture size and check
>again as you test at each setting to see if there really is any
>improvement in game play.

July 19, 2004 3:00:34 AM

roger wrote:
> Thanks for the answer to my previous question.
> While in the Bios I noticed the AGP Aperture size. It is currently set to
> 64M.
> What is it and should it be set to 256M for a 256MB card?
>
> Regards

I seem to recall a test being done where they 16, 32, 64, 128 and 256. I
don't recall the card or game.

In that particular setup there was an inexplicable decrease in performance
at 32 (I think) with all other sizes being the same performance.

I think previous replies have demonstrated that there is no hard and fast
rule, everybody has a different opinion because everybody has seen differing
results because everybody has performed different tests.

In my opinion, Leave it at 64 or 128, it's not gonna make much odds.
However, depending on your card, game, chipset, your mileage WILL likely
vary. Feel free to test it out, but bear in mind that your results will be
specific to your chipset, memory, graphics card, game, phase of moon, colour
of underwear, etc.

Ben
July 19, 2004 8:12:55 PM

Ben Pope wrote:

> I seem to recall a test being done where they 16, 32, 64, 128 and
> 256. I don't recall the card or game.
>
> In that particular setup there was an inexplicable decrease in
> performance at 32 (I think) with all other sizes being the same
> performance.
>
> I think previous replies have demonstrated that there is no hard and
> fast rule, everybody has a different opinion because everybody has
> seen differing results because everybody has performed different
> tests.
>
> In my opinion, Leave it at 64 or 128, it's not gonna make much odds.
> However, depending on your card, game, chipset, your mileage WILL
> likely vary. Feel free to test it out, but bear in mind that your
> results will be specific to your chipset, memory, graphics card,
> game, phase of moon, colour of underwear, etc.

http://tinyurl.com/5dntq

and

http://tinyurl.com/2fwol

regards
@ndrew
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 12:03:47 AM

@ndrew wrote:
> Ben Pope wrote:
>

>> I seem to recall a test being done where they 16, 32, 64, 128 and
>> 256. I don't recall the card or game.
>>
>> In that particular setup there was an inexplicable decrease in
>> performance at 32 (I think) with all other sizes being the same
>> performance.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/5dntq

Yeah, that one. Funny how time distorts memory.

So 64 == bad
128 == good.

For that setup.

Ben
July 20, 2004 3:41:12 AM

Buffalo wrote:
> "roger" <elvis@graceland.net> wrote in message
>> Thanks for the answer to my previous question.
>> While in the Bios I noticed the AGP Aperture size. It is currently
>> set to 64M.
>> What is it and should it be set to 256M for a 256MB card?
>>
>> Regards
>
> Sham B's explanation is good, overall.
> If you set it too low (under 16 or maybe 32) you revert to 2x AGP, I
> believe.
> I read a few articles about testing the different Aperture setting
> with various cards, and it didn't seem to make a lot of difference to
> most cards. However, the commonly recommended settings was either 64
> or 128MB.
> Don't go below 32 and try up to the maximum you can set it to. You can
> experiment yourself and let us know. You really can't mess anything up
> trying, and , who knows, you might just find the 'sweet' spot for your
> particular setup.
> You can Google for more info on the sugject.
> Adrian Rojak has something intersting words on it. Check his BIOS
> stuff on his homepage:
> http://www.rojakpot.com/
> Click on the free version of
> The Definitive BIOS Optimization Guide
> Revision 8.0 Interim Release 9
>
> Here is one of his statements about Aperture (he continues on with the
> reasons, or at least his old version did):
> "Please note that the AGP aperture is merely address space, not actual
> physical memory in use. Although it is very common to hear people
> recommending that the AGP aperture size should be half the size of
> system memory, that is wrong!"
>

> Buffalo

I've found it also depends on the motherboard itself. On my current one
(GA 8IPE1000G) it doesn't seem to make a difference at all, unless set
to 0, then it won't start :)  On some older ABit 440BX mobos, I have to
set it to 128 or 256 for it to start with a 128 meg card in the AGP
slot. The BE6-II is one I still use that this happens with. Other than
this, I've seen no difference whatever in game no matter what I have the
AGP aperture set to. system ram in the BE6-II is 768 megs under 98SE,
System ram in the 8IPE1000G is 1 gig under XP Pro.
McG.
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 3:45:48 AM

I don't know what mobo you're using, but on the 7 ABit (440BX), and 5
Gigabyte (for P4's) I have yet to see an aperture setting available
greater than 256 megs. I didn't even know some had 512megs available!
McG.

!