XP Firewall wont work!! Please help!

I have latley installed the microsoft adaware program and it has alerted me
that my firewal isnt up and running so I went to the firewall icon in the
control panel and everything was all good until i got the message
"Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet connection Sharing (ICS)
service"
My brother who knows a fair bit about pc's has no idea hot to get this
firewall on, can anyone help?
2 answers Last reply
More about firewall wont work help

    Hi:
    Check to see if the Internet Connection Firewall is not disabled:
    In the desktop, right click on the My Computer icon\Manage\Services and
    Applications\Services\on Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) Status column
    should read Started and Start type shoud read Automatic if any or both are
    set different, double click on ICF Service and click on the Start button
    and/or set to Autostart in the rolldown window.

    Read the following pages for more info regarding the Windows XP Firewall.

    How to turn on or turn off the Internet firewall in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en;283673

    Description of the Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320855

    If you can't manage to enable the Firewall you can allways install a third
    party issue. In any case Zone Alarm is recommended over the Windows ICF.
    Install any firewall but if you manage to get the XP Firewall up and
    running,
    donnot run both at the same time to avoid posible protection failure.

    ZoneAlarm (Free and up)
    http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp

    Kerio Personal Firewall (KPF) (Free and up)
    http://www.kerio.com/kpf_download.html

    Outpost Firewall from Agnitum (Free and up)
    http://www.agnitum.com/download/

    Sygate Personal Firewall (Free and up)
    http://smb.sygate.com/buy/download_buy.htm

    Linnie wrote:

    > I have latley installed the microsoft adaware program and it has alerted me
    > that my firewal isnt up and running so I went to the firewall icon in the
    > control panel and everything was all good until i got the message
    > "Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet connection Sharing (ICS)
    > service"
    > My brother who knows a fair bit about pc's has no idea hot to get this
    > firewall on, can anyone help?
    Hi

    If you don't have WinXP SP2 installed, try this one:

    Please try this if you have SP2 for WinXP installed:

    Start/Run --> cmd.exe

    and then, in the command prompt that opened up, type:

    netsh.exe winsock reset

    and hit Enter. Follow prompts and reboot.

    If that didn't work, see if registering the following DLLs helps:

    From Start/Run, run the following commands:

    regsvr32 %windir%\system32\atl.dll

    then

    regsvr32 %windir%\system32\hnetcfg.dll