XP Firewall wont work!! Please help!

I have latley installed the microsoft adaware program and it has alerted me
that my firewal isnt up and running so I went to the firewall icon in the
control panel and everything was all good until i got the message
"Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet connection Sharing (ICS)
service"
My brother who knows a fair bit about pc's has no idea hot to get this
firewall on, can anyone help?

Juan

Distinguished
May 5, 2003

Hi:
Check to see if the Internet Connection Firewall is not disabled:
In the desktop, right click on the My Computer icon\Manage\Services and
Applications\Services\on Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) Status column
should read Started and Start type shoud read Automatic if any or both are
set different, double click on ICF Service and click on the Start button
and/or set to Autostart in the rolldown window.

Read the following pages for more info regarding the Windows XP Firewall.

How to turn on or turn off the Internet firewall in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en;283673

Description of the Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320855

If you can't manage to enable the Firewall you can allways install a third
party issue. In any case Zone Alarm is recommended over the Windows ICF.
Install any firewall but if you manage to get the XP Firewall up and
running,
donnot run both at the same time to avoid posible protection failure.

ZoneAlarm (Free and up)
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp

Kerio Personal Firewall (KPF) (Free and up)
http://www.kerio.com/kpf_download.html

Outpost Firewall from Agnitum (Free and up)
http://www.agnitum.com/download/

Sygate Personal Firewall (Free and up)
http://smb.sygate.com/buy/download_buy.htm

Linnie wrote:

> I have latley installed the microsoft adaware program and it has alerted me
> that my firewal isnt up and running so I went to the firewall icon in the
> control panel and everything was all good until i got the message
> "Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet connection Sharing (ICS)
> service"
> My brother who knows a fair bit about pc's has no idea hot to get this
> firewall on, can anyone help?
Hi

If you don't have WinXP SP2 installed, try this one:

Please try this if you have SP2 for WinXP installed:

Start/Run --> cmd.exe

and then, in the command prompt that opened up, type:

netsh.exe winsock reset

and hit Enter. Follow prompts and reboot.

If that didn't work, see if registering the following DLLs helps:

From Start/Run, run the following commands:

regsvr32 %windir%\system32\atl.dll

then

regsvr32 %windir%\system32\hnetcfg.dll