Steam account deleted??? anyone get this message before?

Last response: in Video Games
January 8, 2005 1:14:01 AM

OK, I have played HL2 for a month now and am starting my second time around.
Just last night I was playing and today, steam tells me my account
information is not on the computer anymore (for offline mode). I have to go
to http://steam.(blaablaa)....acountstatus..... (something like that).
So I reboot and get same message. When I click the steam icon, steam is
"updating the steam platform" again.

*Did I manage to delete my account info somehow unknowingly or is this a
steam trick to force me to connect online again? (keeping tabs on us?)*

I am still in the process of updating (dial up) so hopefully I will be able
to play again very soon.
Wondering if this has happened to anyone else.
I did not want to jump on the "I have steam bandwagon" but this is
ridiculous.

GBS
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 1:49:27 AM

GBS wrote:
> OK, I have played HL2 for a month now and am starting my second time
> around. Just last night I was playing and today, steam tells me my
> account information is not on the computer anymore (for offline
> mode). I have to go to http://steam.(blaablaa)....acountstatus.....
> (something like that).
> So I reboot and get same message. When I click the steam icon, steam
> is "updating the steam platform" again.
>
> *Did I manage to delete my account info somehow unknowingly or is
> this a steam trick to force me to connect online again? (keeping tabs
> on us?)*
>
> I am still in the process of updating (dial up) so hopefully I will
> be able to play again very soon.
> Wondering if this has happened to anyone else.
> I did not want to jump on the "I have steam bandwagon" but this is
> ridiculous.

I'm not 100% sure of this, but I believe Steam *did* insist on you connecting
every so often, but recent updates have removed this requirement. It hasn't
asked me for a while, but it did initially (got a similar message to yours). If
I'm right, you won't have a problem in offline mode after updating (but who
knows with Steam?)

--
Paul
Anonymous

GBS wrote:
> OK, I have played HL2 for a month now and am starting my second time around.
> Just last night I was playing and today, steam tells me my account
> information is not on the computer anymore (for offline mode). I have to go
> to http://steam.(blaablaa)....acountstatus..... (something like that).
> So I reboot and get same message. When I click the steam icon, steam is
> "updating the steam platform" again.
>
> *Did I manage to delete my account info somehow unknowingly or is this a
> steam trick to force me to connect online again? (keeping tabs on us?)*
>
> I am still in the process of updating (dial up) so hopefully I will be able
> to play again very soon.
> Wondering if this has happened to anyone else.
> I did not want to jump on the "I have steam bandwagon" but this is
> ridiculous.

If the last time you connected to Steam was before early december, then
you may have run into a bug which has now been fixed - if you connect to
Steam and update the Steam platform, this should go away and not bother
you again.

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench
Related resources

"Amak" wrote

> And if your wrong you'll look a twat

> Domestos

heaven help us all - a morpher
*plonk*
January 8, 2005 4:13:05 AM

Peter Lykkegaard wrote:
> "Amak" wrote
>

>>And if your wrong you'll look a twat
>

>>Domestos
>>

> heaven help us all - a morpher
> *plonk*

Wish these b'stards wouldn't keep changing their name!

*plonk* (again)

--
"valve = worshiping satan (this one is only speculation but probably true)"

Difool in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 5:50:40 AM

Why bother kill filing?? I find these parameciaum humorous... Little
one cell critters floating around in news groups trying to find
something to feed on... Suggest all you PETA folks use some DDT...

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 01:11:07 +0000, Shawk <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses>
wrote:

>Peter Lykkegaard wrote:
>> "Amak" wrote
>>

>>>And if your wrong you'll look a twat
>>

>>>Domestos
>>>

>> heaven help us all - a morpher
>> *plonk*
>>

>Wish these b'stards wouldn't keep changing their name!
>
>*plonk* (again)

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with
the intention of arriving safely in an attractive
and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite beverage in
the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out,
and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 5:54:06 AM

> Domestos

Well now when it is broken in I guess it's just good to keep it up to
speed....

*plonk*

lyset
January 8, 2005 11:59:20 AM

Cannon Fodder wrote:
> Why bother kill filing?? I find these parameciaum humorous... Little
> one cell critters floating around in news groups trying to find
> something to feed on... Suggest all you PETA folks use some DDT...

Nah, humurous is DiFool in c.s.i.p.g.a. Wont killfile that nutter until
just before he drives me completely insane. Domestos aka whatever is
just a foul-mouthed arse with nothing interesting to say. IMHO of course.

--
"valve = worshiping satan (this one is only speculation but probably true)"

Difool in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 4:43:54 PM

"Paul Catley" <paul.notreallymyaddress@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> GBS wrote:
> > OK, I have played HL2 for a month now and am starting my second time
> > around. Just last night I was playing and today, steam tells me my
> > account information is not on the computer anymore (for offline
> > mode). I have to go to http://steam.(blaablaa)....acountstatus.....
> > (something like that).
> > So I reboot and get same message. When I click the steam icon, steam
> > is "updating the steam platform" again.
> >
> > *Did I manage to delete my account info somehow unknowingly or is
> > this a steam trick to force me to connect online again? (keeping tabs
> > on us?)*
> >
> > I am still in the process of updating (dial up) so hopefully I will
> > be able to play again very soon.
> > Wondering if this has happened to anyone else.
> > I did not want to jump on the "I have steam bandwagon" but this is
> > ridiculous.
>
> I'm not 100% sure of this, but I believe Steam *did* insist on you
connecting
> every so often, but recent updates have removed this requirement. It
hasn't
> asked me for a while, but it did initially (got a similar message to
yours). If
> I'm right, you won't have a problem in offline mode after updating (but
who
> knows with Steam?)
>
> --
> Paul

Thanks, after steam updated everything, I can NOT play in offline mode.
Steam says "the game is not ready to be played in offline mode" I can play
after I connect via internet. Any suggestions how to fix this?
I have been playing offline mode for almost 2 months. (not a pirated copy
either)

GBS
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 5:42:17 PM

GBS wrote:

> Thanks, after steam updated everything, I can NOT play in offline
> mode. Steam says "the game is not ready to be played in offline mode"
> I can play after I connect via internet. Any suggestions how to fix
> this?

In the Play Games menu of Steam, right-click on Half-Life 2, and click
Properties. In order to play the game, Amount Acquired has to be 100%, and
Status must say "Ready to play". If it has a lower percentage, you will need to
update the game. Sorry, but this is an unfortunate consequence of being online
with Steam: it checks your game and if your patches are not fully up to date, it
prevents you playing, online or off, until the game is updated (not the same as
updating Steam).

Make sure the pull down list says "Always keep this game up to date", then quit
Steam and restart it whilst online. Steam should then commence updating HL2.
Since you haven't patched before, this may take a while. If you are not
interested in playing any of the online games shown in white (probably only
Counter-Strike:Source if you haven't installed any others), make sure they say
"Do not automatically update this game" in their Properties before you start,
otherwise you will be updating much longer than you want.

Once HL2 is 100% updated, quit Steam, disconnect, and try to launch HL2 in
offline mode. Hopefully it should now work.

Hope that helps.

--
Paul
Anonymous

GBS wrote:

> I have no need for broadband at home. I can use it at work but I
> don't see justifying the cost when i am raising a family on one
> income (especially a teachers salary)... I get dial-up for free. I
> may live a more *simple* life but I am happy and enjoy playing Single
> Player games. by not going broadband i save $360 for games etc...
> GBS

Amak/Domestos is our current resident troll. Killfile him and pay him no heed.

--
Paul
Anonymous

> Once HL2 is 100% updated, quit Steam, disconnect, and try to launch HL2 in
> offline mode. Hopefully it should now work.

I tried all you said and here is what I get:
Amount Acquired: 99%
Offline Mode: Not Ready

I tried closing steam and re-opening but the above never changes.
I can live with activating steam online then closing internet conection to
play the game at home but it will be a hassle if I take my PC somewhere
else...

You think a complete removal/reinstall of HL2/steam is needed?
GBS
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 9:12:38 PM

> I tried closing steam and re-opening but the above never changes.
> I can live with activating steam online then closing internet conection to
> play the game at home but it will be a hassle if I take my PC somewhere
> else...

After reading in the Steam Forum, I disabled Norton and closed/opened steam
and it worked!
Thanks for your help
GBS
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 4:53:49 AM

Cannon Fodder wrote:
> Ah Ben... In a short time we'll dwindle down to a precious few again
> with the occasional troll slipping in under the woodwork... It's a
> neat diversion for a while... I find them to be insignificant little
> iotas... Fly specks on the wall...

heh thanks for the words of comfort CF, I was beginning to think I
needed a name change to 'Troll Magnet' ;)

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench
!