Samsung to Pay Microsoft for Every Android Device Sold

Status
Not open for further replies.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Have you ever witnessed one of those moments in history, like Ali doing the rope-a-dope?
That just happened
MS Ali has been on the ropes bobbing back and to while Google Foreman thumps hell out of it, now it seems with this deal Foreman has run out of steam and Ali is going for the knockout

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
about time...it's time to see some quality phones with a quality OS...i really don't like microsoft, but the desktop version on win7 is one stable OS

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I really wish Microsoft would get their asses handed to them in regards to this royalty crap, when all they have done is *claimed* infringement, and not proven it. Utter bullshit. And dont get me wrong, I like Windows 7 and some of their other stuff, I just hate their business tactics, which amount to bullying other companies around, much like Apple. :/

Did I get it wrong or is Samsung abandoning android and adopting windows for their future devices? If that's really true, it's much bigger news than paying royalties. And very bad news indeed, at least for those who admired samsung android devices.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Perhaps Samsung is realizing it is more lucrative to cater to a supported closed system like iOS or Windows Phone 7 rather than an open and easily side-loaded system like Android.

I also agree we are seeing a moment in history, but it is a larger part of an ongoing battle to gain ownership of ideas and advancements as "value added" products. It is the notion that we are serfs, we don't own what we own but merely "lease" it from out kind landlords - but unlike feudalism, these landlords don't have any obligation towards us peasantry.

rhangman

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Murissokah[/nom]Did I get it wrong or is Samsung abandoning android and adopting windows for their future devices?[/citation]
Nah, Samsung will continue to make Android, Bada and WP7 devices. No way they would abandon the other OS' since in terms of phone sales it goes Android (by far), Bada and then WP7 (way down at the bottom).

Samsung also sell Windows laptops and maybe desktops in some markets, so they are definitely somewhat tied to MS.

I guess expect to see Tizen devices from Samsung in the future as well as Windows 8 tablets.

epdm2be

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
[citation][nom]Murissokah[/nom] And very bad news indeed, at least for those who admired samsung android devices.[/citation]

Why would 'admire' Samsung devices at all. They make cheap plastic chinese build subpar quality devices with one (or perhaps 2) outstanding features (usually the screen). Without much support or longevity for these devices at all. They lack any vision or forward thinking and just dumb their shit on the world. They don't care what device you buy or what OS it runs as long as THEY sell it. I loathe Samsung and am glad they finally get their ass kicked!

As for M$ and Android. It's clear that Google's "linux variant" is quick rehash using more than free/GPL-code. Propably in their own effort to cash in on it. So much for "open source". Appareantly it's so open that M$ has enough cause to retrieve fees.

A reason enough to steer away from it. If this continues then I hope at least RIM has the guts to stay alive and defend their own OS because that's gonna be the only alternative left.

epdm2be

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
[citation][nom]MDillenbeck[/nom]Perhaps Samsung is realizing it is more lucrative to cater to a supported closed system like iOS or Windows Phone 7 rather than an open and easily side-loaded system like Android....[/citation]

eh?! Why would it matter. They pay Microsoft anyway regardless whether Samsung use Android or Windows Phone 7 on their devices. So what's the big deal? It's obvious that both Apple (indirectly) and Microsoft (directly) want Android (and probably Google with it) of this planet.

Secondly I don't get. Ppl have been complaining about Microsoft for ages. Windows Mobile sucked big time and now suddenly it's all kiss and make up. WTF! Are you folks braindead or what? Microsoft are bad guys remember! THEY enforced the world into DOS/Windows while other much better alternative OS's and computersystems have been totally wiped out.
Ask any RISC OS user, any Psion Series 5 owner, or even any Amiga/Atari owner which system they prefered. Particularly the demise of RISC OS system is a real SHAME for the European IT world. It was amazingly fast, very simple userfriendly and yet amazingly simple of structure. Unlike ANYTYHING else on the world. They invented low power high performance RISC-based desktop computing and it was British! Yet no one praised it. Now whenever there's a new fucking iPhone all the lemmings stand inline for hours with their glazed eyes waiting to get their paws on yet another hyped up geeky toy. It's disgusting!

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]MDillenbeck[/nom]Perhaps Samsung is realizing it is more lucrative to cater to a supported closed system like iOS or Windows Phone 7 rather than an open and easily side-loaded system like Android.[/citation]

Samsung is very happy with how its Android phones are selling. They're just hedging their bets (and why shouldn't they?), so no matter what happens with Android or Windows, they'll still have a strong product portfolio left.

And for like 95% of users out there, Android is as "closed" as any other OS.

In any case, if HTML5 does what it's supposed to do, the line between sites and apps will blur and it won't really matter that much which OS you're using.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
Android quickly proved a lot of competition for Mac OS and Windows ? what?

you either meant Chrome their instead of android (which isn't providing any competition), or you meant it's competing the iOS and Windows Phone (which wasn't even released when android was, so I think you meant RIM)

naming fail..

becherovka

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
I wont buy samsung again.. Not because of this but my experience with there products was poor. They are very buggy! I changed to LG and love it, it isnt running the latest version of android but at least everything works as it should! I think there are too many companys producing android products and some have to go for the sake of the others. If samsung go its not that much of a loss. HTC Motorola and LG FTW!

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
On the one end, this is leading to a monopolistic world where true creativity suffers. On the other end, this is leading to a monopolistic world where standardization is the norm. There are pros and cons to this, however, I think I would err on the side of creativity rather than standardization.

In the US at least, what would have to change are patent laws. It is the patent laws that enable suing others for "supposedly" using your IP with "greed" as a prime motivator. The last I knew, M$ had a lot of money in the bank, and simply does not need the royalties from Samsung.

The question is, why did Samsung agree to this? If there were an answer to this out there, then maybe we would be able to see things from Samsung's standpoint. I cannot see Samsung exclusively making products based on WM for many reasons. So, this sounds like that even though Samsung will collaborate on new WM devices with M$ that they will still be making Android devices. From what I know, it sounds like Samsung will prevail against crApple; time will tell.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Have you ever witnessed one of those moments in history, like Ali doing the rope-a-dope?...That just happened...MS Ali has been on the ropes bobbing back and to while Google Foreman thumps hell out of it, now it seems with this deal Foreman has run out of steam and Ali is going for the knockout[/citation]

That is awesome. lol. Definatly Microsoft pulled a rope-a-dope here. lol. Say by by to Android. Microsoft made more money off of Android that Google did.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Becherovka[/nom]I wont buy samsung again.. Not because of this but my experience with there products was poor. They are very buggy! I changed to LG and love it, it isnt running the latest version of android but at least everything works as it should! I think there are too many companys producing android products and some have to go for the sake of the others. If samsung go its not that much of a loss. HTC Motorola and LG FTW![/citation]

I really like Samsungs TV's but every single device that I have bought from them beyond that has been buggy. From Universal remotes to Windows Extenders to washer and dryers. Issues with all of em except for the TV's which have been fine.

The phones feel cheap event though they have good specs and a good screen. Holding a IPhone, BlackBerry, or a HTC phone next to a Samsung phone you can really feel the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.