REFURBISHED: Info-Tek ATI RADEON 9600PRO Video Card

Hello

I am trying to choose between a refurbished Info-Tek ATI RADEON 9600PRO
and an unopened Info-Tek ATI RADEON 9600PRO. Its not just that the
refurbished one is cheaper, its RAM is actually clocking higher at
600Mhz, while the non-refurbished Radeon's RAM is clocking at 400Mhz. It
seems like most of the Radeon Pros I have seen have memory clocks of
400Mhz.

Although the retail site that is selling these two cards, does not list
the memory clock of the non-refurbished cards RAM, there is a complaint
in the comment section for this card, stating that the RAM is only
clocking at 400Mhz, and not 600Mhz like a Radeon Pro 9600 should be.

Are there significant risks normaly associated with buying a refurbished
video card? And what kind of reputation does Info-Tek have? Both of
these cards are listed on Newegg.

Thanks in advance
Eddie

"Eddie Crismond" <user@example.net> wrote in message

> Hello
>
> I am trying to choose between a refurbished Info-Tek ATI RADEON 9600PRO
> and an unopened Info-Tek ATI RADEON 9600PRO. Its not just that the
> refurbished one is cheaper, its RAM is actually clocking higher at
> 600Mhz, while the non-refurbished Radeon's RAM is clocking at 400Mhz. It
> seems like most of the Radeon Pros I have seen have memory clocks of
> 400Mhz.
>
> Although the retail site that is selling these two cards, does not list
> the memory clock of the non-refurbished cards RAM, there is a complaint
> in the comment section for this card, stating that the RAM is only
> clocking at 400Mhz, and not 600Mhz like a Radeon Pro 9600 should be.
>
> Are there significant risks normaly associated with buying a refurbished
> video card? And what kind of reputation does Info-Tek have? Both of
> these cards are listed on Newegg.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Eddie

The 9600 Pro's with 400Mhz memory are the "Lite" or "EZ" versions. They are
a 9600 Pro core with cheaper memory. True Pro should be 400/600, which
indicates the memory is 300Mhz (300 DDR X 2 = 600)

I don't buy refurbished video cards though, so I can't advise on which one
to purchase. NewEgg has the Info Tek card you mentioned and it is a "Lite"
version or whatever. Looks to be $111. For $14 dollars more they have this
one which is new and a true "Pro"

www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-131-219&depa=0

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

> The 9600 Pro's with 400Mhz memory are the "Lite" or "EZ" versions. They are
> a 9600 Pro core with cheaper memory. True Pro should be 400/600, which
> indicates the memory is 300Mhz (300 DDR X 2 = 600)
>
> I don't buy refurbished video cards though, so I can't advise on which one
> to purchase. NewEgg has the Info Tek card you mentioned and it is a "Lite"
> version or whatever. Looks to be $111. For $14 dollars more they have this
> one which is new and a true "Pro"
>
> www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-131-219&depa=0

Thanks, I might just get that one. This is for a relative, and she said
she was comfortable with $110, so I can stretch it to this I believe.

Eddie

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"Eddie Crismond" <user@example.net> wrote in message

> Hello
>
> I am trying to choose between a refurbished Info-Tek ATI RADEON 9600PRO
> and an unopened Info-Tek ATI RADEON 9600PRO. Its not just that the
> refurbished one is cheaper, its RAM is actually clocking higher at
> 600Mhz, while the non-refurbished Radeon's RAM is clocking at 400Mhz. It
> seems like most of the Radeon Pros I have seen have memory clocks of
> 400Mhz.

The standard memory clock for a 9600 Pro is 300Mhz (600 effective). There's
a 9600AIW with 325Mhz memory too. I'd be very suspicious of a 9600 Pro with
200Mhz memory. Is the new one a 256Mb card? Often they have much slower
memory than 128Mb versions. What's the advertised GPU core speed on the new
card with 200Mhz memory? It should be 400Mhz. If it's 325Mhz, then it's a
straight 9600 or 9600SE.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Augustus wrote:

> The standard memory clock for a 9600 Pro is 300Mhz (600 effective). There's
> a 9600AIW with 325Mhz memory too. I'd be very suspicious of a 9600 Pro with
> 200Mhz memory. Is the new one a 256Mb card? Often they have much slower
> memory than 128Mb versions. What's the advertised GPU core speed on the new
> card with 200Mhz memory? It should be 400Mhz. If it's 325Mhz, then it's a
> straight 9600 or 9600SE.

Here are the specs of the 'refurbished' 9600 Pro...

Chipset/Core Speed: ATI RADEON 9600PRO/400MHz
Memory/Effective Speed: 128MB DDR/600MHz
BUS: AGP 4X/8X
Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub)+TV-Out(S-Video/Composite Out)+DVI
Support 3D API: DirectX 9.0, OpenGL
Cable/Accessories: Manual, 3 CD, 1 Cable, DVI to D-Sub Adapter
Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536
Retail Box (See pics for details)

Model#: R9600-PRO C3H
Item#: N82E16814240014R

And here are the specs of the non-refurbished...

Chipset: ATI RADEON 9600PRO
Memory128MB DDR
BUS: AGP 4X/8X
Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub)+TV-Out(S-Video/Composite Out)+DVI
Support 3D API: DirectX 9.0, OpenGL
Cable/Accessories: Manual, 3 CD, 1 Cable, DVI to D-Sub Adapter
Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536
Retail Box (See pics for details)

Model#: R9600-PRO C3H
Item#: N82E16814240014

As you can see they don't tell you anyting about GPU or memory clocks.
But I think I may simply get this true Radeon 9600 Pro as another poster
has suggested...
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-131-219&depa=0

I'm starting to finaly get a grasp on video cards. I hardly play video
games at all, so I have mostly ignored these basic specs before.

Thanks
Eddie

"Refurbished" means they blow the dust off it and wrap it in
an anti-static bag. Possibly they replaced the cooling fan,
but not likely. Don't worry about it not having the original
driver CD and manual, they are out of date before the retail
box leaves the manufacturer.

If the price difference from new is less that the cost of a
replacement fan, then don't bother. This is the only thing
that will go, and refurbished is an unknown quantity. However
if it is much cheaper, and they give a few months warantee,
then go for it.