Newbie question on setting up user accounts and logons

Hello,

Can anyone tell me or direct me to a process for creating seperate user
accounts and forcing users to get a logon screen when booting WinXP Home?

Thank You,
Rich
2 answers Last reply
More about newbie question setting user accounts logons

    How To Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP

    Note: Make sure each user creates a strong password for their account.

    Creating strong passwords
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/windows_password_tips.mspx

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    Rich wrote:
    > Can anyone tell me or direct me to a process for creating seperate
    > user accounts and forcing users to get a logon screen when booting
    > WinXP Home?

    HOW TO: Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279783

    HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
    Folders in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308419

    Doug's Windows XP Security Console

    Windows XP is a multi-user OS, even when used by one person only, the
    fundamentals don't change.

    Documents and Settings is the directory that contains your user
    information/documents/etc. It also contains a few extra directories used by
    Windows.

    One is "Default User" - This is used whenever a new account is created. It
    bases the initial setup of that account off this directory.

    Another is "All Users" - This is used by.. all users. If you want something
    to appear on the desktop of every user of the machine, you put it on this
    users desktop (in the desktop folder.) Etc.

    You may also see "Administrator" - depending on your setup, this is the
    original administrator user and if you know that account's password, you
    should leave him alone and use him only in an emergency.

    You could also (if you have it where you can see ALL files) see
    "LocalService" and "NetworkService" folders. These are service accounts,
    normally unused by the standard user.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

Security Microsoft User Accounts Windows XP