Newb needs help!

Running a Linksys WRT54G router ion the machine connected to the web, and
using the WUSB54G adapter on the other machine. I am getting a good signal
strength reading on the 'client' but for the life of me, I cannot connect to
shared resources on the 'server'. Both machines belong to a workgroup called
'Home', but apparently the server machine is not showing up on the network.
So, two questions arise:

1. Do you have to run the Network Wizard in order to share resources (other
than a web connection) between the two machines? If File and Printer sharing
is enabled on the 'server', isn't that enough to get the two talking over
the network?

2. When I run the network wizard in WinXP, I'm offered two different
Internet connections, Local Area Connection (nVidia nForce MCP Networking
Controller-the LAN port on the motherboard), and 1394 Connection -1394 Net
Adapter. I've tried both of these with the wizard, and one (Local Area
Connection) returns and error and ends; the other seems to finish as it
should, offering me to created an driver disk at the end of its routine. I
have several resources shared (printer, drives) but none show up on the
client machine for connection. Am I correct in choosing the 1394 connection
for web sharing?

The only other item worth mentioning (I think) is that the Linksys USB
adapter driver is unsigned. This doesn't seem to keep the devices from
communicating, so I'm doubtful this is a factor, but there it is. Thanks to
anyone who can help.

It occurs to me that the 1394 connection is listed for my firewire card,
which has nothing to do with the wireless network (duh!). I initally thought
it did because when I tried to use the newtorking controller, the dumb
wizard just say an 'error' occured in setting the network up. Also, the
final dialog listing what settings will be used says the 1394 is the network
connection! What the hell?

"Jeff Hansman" <[remove me]jhansman@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> Running a Linksys WRT54G router ion the machine connected to the web, and
> using the WUSB54G adapter on the other machine. I am getting a good signal
> strength reading on the 'client' but for the life of me, I cannot connect
> shared resources on the 'server'. Both machines belong to a workgroup
called
> 'Home', but apparently the server machine is not showing up on the
network.
> So, two questions arise:
>
> 1. Do you have to run the Network Wizard in order to share resources
(other
> than a web connection) between the two machines? If File and Printer
sharing
> is enabled on the 'server', isn't that enough to get the two talking over
> the network?
>
> 2. When I run the network wizard in WinXP, I'm offered two different
> Internet connections, Local Area Connection (nVidia nForce MCP Networking
> Controller-the LAN port on the motherboard), and 1394 Connection -1394 Net
> Adapter. I've tried both of these with the wizard, and one (Local Area
> Connection) returns and error and ends; the other seems to finish as it
> should, offering me to created an driver disk at the end of its routine. I
> have several resources shared (printer, drives) but none show up on the
> client machine for connection. Am I correct in choosing the 1394
connection
> for web sharing?
>
> The only other item worth mentioning (I think) is that the Linksys USB
> adapter driver is unsigned. This doesn't seem to keep the devices from
> communicating, so I'm doubtful this is a factor, but there it is. Thanks
> anyone who can help.

OK, I know it's bad form to do mulitple replies to your own thread, but I
just fixed the problem. Apparently, Windows XP wants to use the default
workgroup name "MSHOME" because once I changed it from my choice of "HOME",
bingo! the shared resources on the server show up as they should. Has anyone
else experienced this?

"Jeff Hansman" <[remove me]jhansman@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> Running a Linksys WRT54G router ion the machine connected to the web, and
> using the WUSB54G adapter on the other machine. I am getting a good signal
> strength reading on the 'client' but for the life of me, I cannot connect
> shared resources on the 'server'. Both machines belong to a workgroup
called
> 'Home', but apparently the server machine is not showing up on the
network.
> So, two questions arise:
>
> 1. Do you have to run the Network Wizard in order to share resources
(other
> than a web connection) between the two machines? If File and Printer
sharing
> is enabled on the 'server', isn't that enough to get the two talking over
> the network?
>
> 2. When I run the network wizard in WinXP, I'm offered two different
> Internet connections, Local Area Connection (nVidia nForce MCP Networking
> Controller-the LAN port on the motherboard), and 1394 Connection -1394 Net
> Adapter. I've tried both of these with the wizard, and one (Local Area
> Connection) returns and error and ends; the other seems to finish as it
> should, offering me to created an driver disk at the end of its routine. I
> have several resources shared (printer, drives) but none show up on the
> client machine for connection. Am I correct in choosing the 1394
connection
> for web sharing?
>
> The only other item worth mentioning (I think) is that the Linksys USB
> adapter driver is unsigned. This doesn't seem to keep the devices from
> communicating, so I'm doubtful this is a factor, but there it is. Thanks
> anyone who can help.

snip

> > 1. Do you have to run the Network Wizard in order to share resources
> (other
> > than a web connection) between the two machines? If File and Printer
> sharing
> > is enabled on the 'server', isn't that enough to get the two talking
over
> > the network?
> >
> > 2. When I run the network wizard in WinXP, I'm offered two different
> > Internet connections, Local Area Connection (nVidia nForce MCP
Networking
> > Controller-the LAN port on the motherboard), and 1394 Connection -1394
Net
> > Adapter. I've tried both of these with the wizard, and one (Local Area
> > Connection) returns and error and ends; the other seems to finish as it
> > should, offering me to created an driver disk at the end of its routine.
> > have several resources shared (printer, drives) but none show up on the
> > client machine for connection. Am I correct in choosing the 1394
> connection
> > for web sharing?
> >
> > The only other item worth mentioning (I think) is that the Linksys USB
> > adapter driver is unsigned. This doesn't seem to keep the devices from
> > communicating, so I'm doubtful this is a factor, but there it is. Thanks
> > anyone who can help.

I doubt that was your problem. I have XP Home and I have never used the
default workgroup name of MSHOME. You may have had some service turned off
that prevented the computer names from being displayed or maybe your TCP
properties weren't configured properly at first.